rllmuk
Keyboard Koala

Final Fantasy VII Remake

On 18/02/2020 at 18:02, carlospie said:

The thing is they are going to have to nerf your characters some how between the games, as if they are two-three years apart then everyone will have hit level 99 and unlocked all limit breaks etc. 

Or they treat each game as separate and make you start anew each time. 

I'm sure they will have some sort of solution in place to overcome this

On 18/02/2020 at 19:00, Alex W. said:

They could just implement a level cap in each episode, so they know anyone who makes it on to Episode 2 probably has a level over 10, but definitely has a level under 15.

Apparently the demo’s answer is to have a finite number of fixed encounters in a dungeon. :P It kind of makes sense and ensures everyone has enough experience (and they could get a good estimate of party levels at the end of the episode / start of the next one), but it would make the typical RPG conversation a bit weird: “did you have to do any major levelling before that one boss?” “Uh, I couldn’t...”

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

A lot of "I love everything but the gameplay" takes on here and Resetera, I wonder how that's gonna translate to the success of this being some five part thing.

I do worry that square can deliver on this, I think they will be under pressure to ensure they complete the game but they left Deus Ex Mankind Divided after the first game.

8 minutes ago, gospvg said:

they left Deus Ex Mankind Divided after the first game.

?? 

Referring to to “Deus Ex Universe”? The ambitious multimedia project announced after Human Revolution that amounted to a sequel (Mankind Divided) with an online multiplayer component, a mobile game, and some books.

3 hours ago, Qazimod said:

Apparently the demo’s answer is to have a finite number of fixed encounters in a dungeon. :P It kind of makes sense and ensures everyone has enough experience (and they could get a good estimate of party levels at the end of the episode / start of the next one), but it would make the typical RPG conversation a bit weird: “did you have to do any major levelling before that one boss?” “Uh, I couldn’t...”

Hard to get an estimate of the nature of the rpg as a whole from what amounts to a linear opening sequence. I suspect you're right for this first episode, as the majority of midgar was quite linear already, but when the world map is introduced in the next part that's going to be an interesting problem to tackle.

• Upvote 2

Is it? I've not played FFXV but does that not have an open world?

Found this...okay.

On the one hand it was dripping with nostalgia, on the other the battles feel like every other action RPG feels to me; I just feel like i'd rather be playing a proper action game.

1 hour ago, Wroth said:

Hard to get an estimate of the nature of the rpg as a whole from what amounts to a linear opening sequence. I suspect you're right for this first episode, as the majority of midgar was quite linear already, but when the world map is introduced in the next part that's going to be an interesting problem to tackle.

Yeah, I completely agree that the linearity of that sequence may have a lot to do with it - it just makes me wonder about the more complex dungeons later on. They could totally have infinite random battles in future areas, but the original still had random battles in that linear opening sequence... :) 

1 hour ago, df0 said:

Is it? I've not played FFXV but does that not have an open world?

Sure, but that wasn't episodic.

6 hours ago, robdood said:

?? 

I could be wrong but I thougth Mankind Divided ending implied a sequel was in the works which never happened due to poor sales.

A shame, it's a cracking game. I think the whole pre-order competition (basically, the more people pre-ordered the game the more content everybody received) disaster put many people off, and for good reasons.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2015/09/01/deus-ex-mankind-divided-has-the-worst-pre-order-bonus-structure-of-all-time/

The campaign is called “Augment Your Pre-Order” (groan) and features a tiered system that actually forces consumers to make a choice about which kind of crap they want bundled with their game at launch. So not only are you paying extra to move up the ranks of the “ladder,” as it were, but at each rung, you have to make a choice about which items you leave behind.

Tier 1 makes you choose between three skin packs/arms loadouts for the game itself.
Tier 2 makes you choose between a digital art book or soundtrack sampler.
Tier 3 finally lets your mind rest and just gives you an extra in-game mission.
Tier 4 makes you choose once more, this time between a digital comic book and a novella.
Tier 5 is a flat-out early release of the game, four days before "official" launch.

Apparently how this works is that the tiers are "unlocked" the more people pre-order, so you're supposed to encourage your friends to do so in order for all of you to maximize your potential for loot. If you want all of it, and don’t want to make any of those precarious decisions, you can shell out $150 for the Collector’s Edition which comes with it all. So, you’re receiving everything listed above for $90, 150% more than the price of the game itself. Enjoy!

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, df0 said:

A shame, it's a cracking game. I think the whole pre-order competition (basically, the more people pre-ordered the game the more content everybody received) disaster put many people off, and for good reasons.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2015/09/01/deus-ex-mankind-divided-has-the-worst-pre-order-bonus-structure-of-all-time/

Sounds like the worst of Kickstarter 

• Empathy 1

So After beating the Demo I have to say I struggled with the boss...... until I figured out how to really Damage it! I have to say I was very impressed with how the boss battle played out! keeping the classic moves in there and letting you know when you F'ed up! I will play through classic mode now and see how it runs I am now hyped for Easter weekend (Long weekend off work too!)

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, df0 said:

This was also from back in the “traditional console gaming is dead” era of wrongness, where SE were planning on doing everything episodic, Hitman was first of course, then this game was meant to be... then the plan changed if I remember correctly.. 

I’m amazed at how good and smooth Unreal looks here, but blimey, combat feels like the worst aspects of Crisis Core resurrected. 

After gorging on Octopath Traveler this is terrible to play. Sticking it into Classic gear just makes it one of those ‘00s offline MMO JRPGs. Really want to play this for the visuals and such, but the idea of sticking to this type of combat for 40 hours is filling me with dread. Massive disappointment. :/ 

• Upvote 3

Play it on Normal then, without being a dick. The misnomered Classic is basically auto combat. 

By God, that moment when the horns come in as the logo comes up. MY FUCKING FEELS CAN'T TAKE IT!!!

...anyway, beyond the music being as incredible as it's always been, I found the rest of the demo enjoyable, if a little light on gameplay. The best thing about the original (apart from the score) was the battle system, and it's only in the boss fight that I found myself having to actually think about what I was doing, but then all the bombast and numbers flashing up on screen made it difficult to tell what was happening. I was put in mind of Astral Chain, more than anything else, a game that I couldn't get on with, so I'm hoping that the battles become a little easier to process as the game goes on.

Regardless, however, I'll definitely be picking it up: the nostalgic pull is just too strong and I'm looking forward to seeing how they've realised all the different scenes and locations. I might not go in straightaway at launch, though, - I think it'll depend on how long the experience is. If the first game is just Midgar and the demo represents roughly ten percent of that and it only took me 45 mins to complete, I think it's going to have a pretty short run time.

(And was it just me who thought Heidegger should have been fatter and more...jolly, but in an evil way?)

• Upvote 2

Yeah, I always imagined an evil Brian Blessed sorta thing for Heidegger. He's a comedy capitalist, like a pig; greedy, fat and bloated. A lickspittle, comically evil and incompetent at his job. This guy looks too handsome and like he could actually get shit done.

• Upvote 1

From what I’ve read online, I think it’s going to be lengthier than expected. A few sites estimate around 50-60 hours, but then I think a lot of it is going to be padded out with side quests and added storylines.

This is from a recent interview: 

https://www.dualshockers.com/tetsuya-nomura-new-details-final-fantasy-vii-remake/

Tetsuya Nomura: “I know many are worried since the Remake project is in multiple games, and the first game only depicts Midgar. Don’t worry. It’s a highly dense game, and it doesn’t end after a few hours like the Midgar part in the original. There are many new events in the main story. Like a scene where you end up visiting Jessie’s parents, eating dinner. Each member of Avalanche is much more detailed compared to the original game, with new events to boot. By the time players leave Midgar, I’m sure they’ll be satisfied.”

I reckon we are gonna get a deeper look into avalanche, as well as the main characters. Even Biggs, Jessie and Wedge will have more of an input. I also think there’s going to be more flashbacks into cloud and Tifa’s past, and we will see quite a bit of nibelheim.

I think square are really putting their all into this remake. I know it won’t be for everyone, but it really seems like they are putting in the extra effort because the game is so well loved by fans of the original. 

6 hours ago, cohen205 said:

From what I’ve read online, I think it’s going to be lengthier than expected. A few sites estimate around 50-60 hours, but then I think a lot of it is going to be padded out with side quests and added storylines.

There aren’t any side quests or new areas of Midgar, like the whole games script leaked already - I think you’re setting yourself up for disappointment.

• Empathy 1

Let's make a bet at how long this is then, big shot. I'm going to say 24 hours on HLTB for Main + Side Quests. The loser erases their account. Let's do it. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RubberJohnny said:

There aren’t any side quests or new areas of Midgar, like the whole games script leaked already - I think you’re setting yourself up for disappointment.

There is side quests. 

• Upvote 1

Gamers: “I don’t have time to sit down with a gargantuan RPG anymore because of all of my other commitments as an adult!”

Also gamers: “noooo why is the game so short”

Middle-aged grumps who grew up with the original should appreciate a short playthrough ;) 

• Upvote 2

Who complained it was short?

I just said it won't be 50 to 60 hours, dunno how you read that as complaining, or the other guy read it as me saying "under 24".

This thread is weirdly hostile.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

Have you read the leaked files? They don’t read like a full script, just large portions of one. And there’s nothing in them explaining certain images that leaked, which means there’s almost certainly more script than what leaked. The “it’s the whole script” narrative seems to have come from people scanning to the end to see if it’s the last part of Midgar, confirming that, then posting the same thing you are now. The leaked script also does contain dialogue and mission details that aren’t in the original game.

2 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

Maybe you are right, but there are definitely going to be side quests...

138093-3-full-1.jpg

55 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

I just said it won't be 50 to 60 hours, dunno how you read that as complaining, or the other guy read it as me saying "under 24".

It's not hostile at all YOU MASSIVE WALLY.

I didn't read anything at all into your post, I was just goofing around. I'm baffled that you took that any other way but so be it! For the record, 20 hours or whatever is more than enough for me these days. Much more and I would feel they're probably dragging it out a bit. 

1 hour ago, RubberJohnny said:

My post wasn’t directed at anyone in particular, but people have expectations and are going to be satisfied or disappointed... and this is amusing in the context of old gamers with less spare time. I completely agree that 50something hours is a bit much (and even my throwaway comment of “20something hours” that people latched on to was too optimistic), and I think that knowledge of the original sets people up for disappointment - if anything, people with no idea of how much was in the original will enjoy it more. :)