Final Fantasy VII Remake

They've been saying from the start it's not a straight remake though, right? Nobody should have been expecting this to be beat-for-beat when the game director has been openly talking about all the added content, surely? 

11 minutes ago, Dan chambers said:

Anyone know when the review embargo lifts?

6th April

If what Rubberjohnny suggests pans out and...

Spoiler

...they leave it at that. Wow, that'll sure put some noses out of joint! Maybe explains why they left PART I off the cover?

4 minutes ago, Number 28 said:

6th April

Reveal hidden contents

...they leave it at that. Wow, that'll sure put some noses out of joint! Maybe explains why they left PART I off the cover?

HOLY FUCKIN SHIT. If they'd have the stones to do that :angry: :angry:

8 hours ago, Number 28 said:

6th April

Spoiler

ending spoilers do not click

Spoiler

It ends with

gkz4XIz.png

There was always something fishy about the FF7 having the word remake in the title when none of the other remakes have remake in the title.

The Remake in the title doesn't refer to this being a remake of the ps1 game, it refers to Sepiroth trying to Remake the world in this new timeline.

Nomura always said he didn't want to do an FF7 Remake, so it's going to be his AU, and they're already foreshadowing Aeris surviving.

On 07/12/2015 at 09:40, RubberJohnny said:

Disc 1 is now Game 1.

This idea was daft from the start - they're selling a nostalgia product but have made it so expensive they need to get more than $60 from those fans and also need to change the thing people were a fan of for a wider audience. Why even bother? Why not do something smaller, more manageable, more faithful? It seems most people are only arguing for the current one because graffix

It's going to be a clusterfuck that kills the series.

If these spoilers are true then

Spoiler

that really is some fucking first class trolling from the devs. I predict death threats and a Kickstarter campaign for a 'true' remake, or just a remastered version anyway.

I don't know what you are on about but is this possibly hinted in the final trailer?

Don't care really - has it got a sound test mode? that's worth 60 quid to me.

8 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

Er, have people seen the spoilers?

Reveal hidden contents

This spoils the ending, do not click if you're someone excitedly waiting for this game.

Reveal hidden contents

It actually takes place in an alternate universe and Sephiroth is trying to change the timeline, the main characters come to realise this and will takes steps to change things themselves, Zack lives as a result of this. It's not actually a remake, and they're not obligated to remake the rest of the game after Midgar.

Nomuurraaa!w

Oh my fucking word this is amazing! 

The Internet gonna splode :D

13 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

Er, have people seen the spoilers?

Reveal hidden contents

This spoils the ending, do not click if you're someone excitedly waiting for this game.

Reveal hidden contents

It actually takes place in an alternate universe and Sephiroth is trying to change the timeline, the main characters come to realise this and will takes steps to change things themselves, Zack lives as a result of this. It's not actually a remake, and they're not obligated to remake the rest of the game after Midgar.

Nomuurraaa!

The phantom type figures

are representatives of the portion of the fanbase that doesn’t want to change anything amirite?

I’m loving this by the way.

Here's a bit of what I sent to carlospie in a PM: 

Spoiler

What I don't like, is that the game isn't a remake at all. It feels like the perfect remake for a while, but after a couple of hours or so, you get to a point where you open up jobs which are basically fetch quests (see attached img).

These quests add nothing to the story, lore, atmosphere or anything, it's just padding. Examples are killing rats (!) and finding a kid's lost cat, you get the idea. Your ultimate reward is cheaper items in some shops and unique dialogue for some NPCs, where they might call you a sweetheart or hero or somesuch. After a while, the actual reward seems to be able to progress the actual main story, so not only have they split up the game in episodes, they've actually made progress impossible without doing fetch quests that doesn't add anything new to the original story at all. It feels as if I'm playing the ultimate FF7 but it has cancer and makes me do shitty chores to make actual progress. 

Remember, this is MY opinion and even if I am disappointed with it, there's bound to be some people out there that doesn't mind the changes. Sadly, they've made the entire game pointless to me :(

1 hour ago, Rayn said:

Here's a bit of what I sent to carlospie in a PM: 

Reveal hidden contents

What I don't like, is that the game isn't a remake at all. It feels like the perfect remake for a while, but after a couple of hours or so, you get to a point where you open up jobs which are basically fetch quests (see attached img).

These quests add nothing to the story, lore, atmosphere or anything, it's just padding. Examples are killing rats (!) and finding a kid's lost cat, you get the idea. Your ultimate reward is cheaper items in some shops and unique dialogue for some NPCs, where they might call you a sweetheart or hero or somesuch. After a while, the actual reward seems to be able to progress the actual main story, so not only have they split up the game in episodes, they've actually made progress impossible without doing fetch quests that doesn't add anything new to the original story at all. It feels as if I'm playing the ultimate FF7 but it has cancer and makes me do shitty chores to make actual progress. 

Remember, this is MY opinion and even if I am disappointed with it, there's bound to be some people out there that doesn't mind the changes. Sadly, they've made the entire game pointless to me :(

Never one to knock an opinion, I cannot wait to give it ago it looks beautiful what I'm wondering is how the open world will feel like, so far through footage I've seen it looks fairly linear which is a concern *shakes a fist at FF13* I wonder if it will be possible to back track to some of these older locations later in the game (like in the original).

Just now, Profgoten said:

Never one to knock an opinion, I cannot wait to give it ago it looks beautiful what I'm wondering is how the open world will feel like, so far through footage I've seen it looks fairly linear which is a concern *shakes a fist at FF13* I wonder if it will be possible to back track to some of these older locations later in the game (like in the original).

FWIW

Spoiler

The game is fairly open world and you can explore Midgard like never before. There has gone a lot of love into creating this version of Midgard and the first couple of hours is nothing short of magical. Backtracking IS possible. 

1 minute ago, grindmouse said:

it'll take months to get through it anyway,

Only if you play for 15-20 minutes daily on average. 

7 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

Should I spoil these ending takes before starting?

Like... it'll take months to get through it anyway, what are the chance of avoiding the ending if it's controversial...

When people say "it all makes sense"... is this related to why this isn't being marketed as Part 1?

Yes, just enjoy it for yourself and ignore the spoilers, it seems it won't take you months

I'm glad I held off now. But isn't VII the most returned game ever, maybe all of those surveys SE did returned the data that no one got any further than Midgar so that's how much they budgeted for.

3 minutes ago, ryodi said:

I'm glad I held off now. But isn't VII the most returned game ever, maybe all of those surveys SE did returned the data that no one got any further than Midgar so that's how much they budgeted for.

Is that true (the "most returned" bit)? I can kind of see it, the TV ads were awesome but were pretty much just intro FMV, can see how people would buy it based off that, start playing it then wondering what the fuck they'd actually bought in comparison to their expectations. Maybe that's the nostalgia SqEnix are going for with this one?

Now I really can't wait for it. 

I don't mind what they do with the remake, it's a separate entity for me. I just want to hear and see that world through the lens of contemporary tech. I don't expect them to rebottle and rebadge lightning. I'm glad to hear that they've done some stuff to subvert expectations, and not repeated the exact same story beats.

Obviously, some people are thrilled that others might be upset and disappointed but who am I to begrudge such an impoverished spirit its kicks? Does the humble bluebottle not relish his dogshit banquet?