rllmuk
Keyboard Koala

Final Fantasy VII Remake

2 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

@Kevvy Metal - you haven't replied with reference to any specific spoilers, so I take it the plot details aren't actually obvious unless you go looking for them.

Yes, and I’m not going to reply to you!!

58 minutes ago, SteveH said:

Quick question for those that have either finished or played enough of the first section past the reactor

Hide contents

once you are in the Loveless area it seems you can wander a fair bit. Can you return here later or should I make sure to explore everything now? Cheers

Spoiler

There is a chapter select apparently so you can revisit everywhere

• Upvote 1

I'll reserve final judgment til I've actually finished it (or til the reviews confirm my concerns), but from everything that's been said so far, it seems we've been sold something which it clearly isn't. People are rightly upset about this. I for one wouldn't have bought it on launch, if I knew what Square had (possibly) done with the game.

People trying to take the moral high ground here, and trying to defend all this, when customers clearly might have been swindled, is a bit much imo. 

In short;

if you put remake (of one of the best games ever released) on the cover, when you're really selling an undercooked re-imagining

you're maliciously misleading your customers.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

This is like being the harbinger of doom in a slasher movie, "rubbish, old bastard! killjoy!" the players yell as they drive off to FFVIIR lodge, with it's nostalgia draped porchway and welcome mat, unaware of the horrors awaiting them.

spacer.png

What are you on about? The game is fine, it’s just not the second coming that it once was. Give it a rest already.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

This is like being the harbinger of doom in a slasher movie, "rubbish, old bastard! killjoy!" the players yell as they drive off to FFVIIR lodge, with it's nostalgia draped porchway and welcome mat, unaware of the horrors awaiting them.

spacer.png

Except some of us are actually playing it, and some of us are just rubbishing up the thread with other people’s opinions.

I mean fine, maybe it’s different somehow or whatever but I’m here to enjoy it for what it is.  I’m not going to just absorb someone else saying “that’s shit” and decide I’m going to have a miserable time and/or not bother.

• Upvote 1

nu08xxfexeg31.jpg

Look, I still hope it's still actually a good game, but that does not detract from the fact that it all points into the direction that I've been seriously duped.

26 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

Cool. See you all back here after you finish it. The following is going to age well, for those who haven't spoiled themselves yet:

Thanks for including my entire sentence, which actually read

"I mean fine, maybe it’s different somehow or whatever but I’m here to enjoy it for what it is."

It's gonna age fine, because I am, and I've read the spoilers.

Honestly, there's enough digusting media spin in the world at the moment we don't need you actively twisting what people say about a bloody video game to try and make them as miserable as you.

• Upvote 4
  • Empathy 1

Just now, grindmouse said:

Honestly sprite, I won't spoil the experience for you, but if you don't know how the game ends, then you don't get to criticise my reaction to it. I'm not telling you whether you should enjoy it or not. I will enjoy the game I'm sure, it has decent art design for one. But if what I've read is true, then narratively it's a write-off, and Square has engaged in dubious marketing practices which could blow up.

As I said in my edit, nobody who read the spoilers is in disagreement over this, it's not an overreaction.

I read the spoilers, I was trying to avoid needing to use spoiler tags in my post about actually enjoying the game.

I do feel sorry for you that you are walking into it already deciding that it's going to make you grumpy, but again as before, I am not surprised :P 

So on arrival at Sector 7 slums,

Was it me or was there even a little piano note of "Eyes on Me" before it launched proper into the main song there?

20 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

And as ever, if people stopped the ad hominem attacks I’d stop engaging. Complaints were made about open spoilers, complaints were made by people who didn’t know what it was we were expressing concern or “whinging” about - when I asked them for specifics they couldn’t tell me. I’m slightly suspicious even sprite isn’t truly aware what it is we’re talking about, because given the context their arguments don’t make sense.

But you know I’ve been wrong before, maybe this is a great new direction for the franchise and exactly what fans wanted.

“If people stop engaging me, I’ll stop engaging them”

and then you want to bait me back in because I left it alone :lol: 

Boring!

28 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

And as ever, if people stopped the ad hominem attacks I’d stop engaging. Complaints were made about open spoilers, complaints were made by people who didn’t know what it was we were expressing concern or “whinging” about - when I asked them for specifics they couldn’t tell me. I’m slightly suspicious even sprite isn’t truly aware what it is we’re talking about, because given the context their arguments don’t make sense.

But you know I’ve been wrong before, maybe this is a great new direction for the franchise and exactly what fans wanted.

All you seem to do is moan. Whether it's this, RE2 remake changing slightly or anything to with politics. Then you turn into the moaning equivalent of the Juggernaut and become unstoppable.

• Upvote 5

Just to counter @grindmouse, If the spolers are true, then I may be interested in this, whereas I had little before. Probably still wait for it to go down in price though, as I have enough to play as it is.

I played the demo, sure, but who hasnt to see what it was like? I didnt think that much of it though to be honest, outside of nostalgia. I originally bought a PS for FF7 back when it released in the uk, and played it to death (lvl99, all materia, chocobo's etc, etc).

However, having to do all of that again, just in a different engine and combat system wouldnt have interested me that much, as the story would be identical, just prettier.

• Upvote 4

@sprite I think the broader point is that a lot (most?) people would've been buying this on the basis of having the original story fleshed out and it isn't really that. Now whether they love or hate it, the point is they weren't granted the courtesy of being able to make an informed choice either way before buying it. Something that could've very easily been done without spoiling anything at all, and one can only assume the reason Square didn't is because they must've felt it would harm sales.

Mind you, calling it just 'Remake' (rather than adding 'Part 1' or some-such) also infers it's the whole game - and I read a thread on ResetEra (I know, I know) where anecdotally a lot of people didn't know it was only the first part. Again, it's something Square could've addressed but didn't.

• Upvote 6

I think both the RE2 and 3 remakes show that their is quite a big market for current-gen remakes. People really seem to like the remakes of classic games updated with a new engine and current-gen tech. At absolutely no point in the entire 5-year (!) period that has passed between the announcement and the release, Square even hinted that this wasn't going to be the case with FFVII. They didn't do this, because they knew it isn't what the public really wanted. They even went as far as simply calling it FFVII remake.They consciously and willingly mislead the people. And like some people in this thread already assume, the backlash might be quite phenomenal.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

35 minutes ago, Gabe said:

@sprite I think the broader point is that a lot (most?) people would've been buying this on the basis of having the original story fleshed out and it isn't really that. Now whether they love or hate it, the point is they weren't granted the courtesy of being able to make an informed choice either way before buying it. Something that could've very easily been done without spoiling anything at all, and one can only assume the reason Square didn't is because they must've felt it would harm sales.

Mind you, calling it just 'Remake' (rather than adding 'Part 1' or some-such) also infers it's the whole game - and I read a thread on ResetEra (I know, I know) where anecdotally a lot of people didn't know it was only the first part. Again, it's something Square could've addressed but didn't.

Agree, remake is ... an interesting word to use.  I'm sure I remember seeing an interview where they described it as a reimagining or so, or maybe I made that up :D 

What is interesting is their own web store description

"A spectacular re-imagining of one of the most visionary games ever, the first game in this project will be set in the eclectic city of Midgar and presents a fully standalone gaming experience."

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Capwn said:

They have ruined it

#NotMyFinalFantasy7

I've read the spoilers, this very much COULD be your FinalFantasy7, I've heard your TCGS show :-p

As for the spoilers, it seems it's not what I thought it would be, that's OK, means I won't get it day 1, I'll wait till it's cheaper and play through it, I still want to experience Midgar in all it's current gen ( well, on a base PS4 ) glory, the demo was actually fun and had lots of nice nostalgia hits, but from the start, a lot of us were upset about them removing the turn based battle system, the supposed changes will have people in just as much of a stress I expect.

But it's a game, people will enjoy it, we shouldn't stop them from doing that, hopefully I'll enjoy it myself, but that will have to wait a while, £20 is when I am biting, been burnt on FF too many times to ever pay full price again, I was in for a Day 1 FF for the first time since XII,  thanks to those who mentioned the changes, I made the call to back out of it and wait, but as I say, I really do hope those who are currently playing it do enjoy it :)

Yeah it was always going to be day one for me, I don’t buy many games now, and the stuff that comes with the deluxe edition is just gorgeous.  The music in this is phenomenal so I’m loving having a CD to have in the car :wub: 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

E3 of dreams people.  :lol:

Concern trolling as per usual yeah?

Can someone vaguely tell me what the spoilers are? Have they significantly changed the story?

1 minute ago, Delargey said:

Can someone vaguely tell me what the spoilers are? Have they significantly changed the story?

Vaguely?

Spoiler

The game isn't a remake of FFVII. The ending of this implies things are going to be very, very different in future instalments. 

Just now, mdn2 said:

That's not really vague. 

You're right, I hid the post, please remove the quote.

I missed that "vague" part. Sorry if you saw it @Delargey