rllmuk
Keyboard Koala

Final Fantasy VII Remake

Just now, Delargey said:

Cheers mdn2, that makes me kinda more interested.

Yeah, I'm a bit like that. Beforehand, I wasn't all that bothered. Now though...

Yeah, I played the switch version last year, so kinda got my hit of pure nostalgia. Something new sounds pretty interesting. 

I can certainly appreciate why people wouldn't feel this way, but the prospect of them diverging from the original game does sound more appealing to me. Partly because you can still easily play the 1997 version on every device under the sun.

That said I haven't looked up any spoilers, so for all I know it's, "FFVII, now with 90% more Genesis/Gackt!"

1 hour ago, El Spatula said:

Concern trolling as per usual yeah?

No, just pissing myself laughing at the what was promised vs what we've been given.  I'm sure the episodic FF7 game that isn't FF7 was exactly what everyone had in mind when it was revealed.   Same for Shenmue 3.  Dunno man, I'm sure in their own right the games are decent (I quite liked the remake demo), but this is shady as fuck how this has been kept under wraps this long.   Not a peep about the story being THIS different until now? 

Someone make a reverse giphy of kyle bosman getting back down from his stool at that E3.  

Divergence is ok - I will reserve judgment on how it’s delivered until I’ve played it - but I’m not optimistic given the premise and quality of existing supplementary material. I’m glad I knew this going into it so expectations are in check.

However I still expect when this information gets out there the backlash will be something to behold.

37 minutes ago, Ferine said:

I can certainly appreciate why people wouldn't feel this way, but the prospect of them diverging from the original game does sound more appealing to me. Partly because you can still easily play the 1997 version on every device under the sun.

That said I haven't looked up any spoilers, so for all I know it's, "FFVII, now with 90% more Genesis/Gackt!"

I'll be honest. I would have liked to have played the original story with the new graphics. They made it much more accessible for me than the originals. So yeah I can go back and play the original but I'll always think, if only I could play it in the new graphical style.   Maybe we'll get that as special edition or DLC. 

• Upvote 2

It makes sense why they were so keen to take down streams and videos prior to release I guess. They didnt want the actual gamee spoiling, not the plot. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mdn2 said:

Vaguely?

Hide contents

The game isn't a remake of FFVII. The ending of this implies things are going to be very, very different in future instalments. 

I don't think there

will be any more instalments. It's just this game afaict.

It'd be better if there were more instalments imo - if only to give us something akin to a proper FF. But from what I'm reading this is it. Or not?

24 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

No, just pissing myself laughing at the what was promised vs what we've been given.  I'm sure the episodic FF7 game that isn't FF7 was exactly what everyone had in mind when it was revealed.   Same for Shenmue 3.  Dunno man, I'm sure in their own right the games are decent (I quite liked the remake demo), but this is shady as fuck how this has been kept under wraps this long.   Not a peep about the story being THIS different until now? 

Someone make a reverse giphy of kyle bosman getting back down from his stool at that E3.  

You're not wrong imo.

The only one that did deliver in the end was The Last Guardian. And some people might even disagree on that as well.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Keyboard Koala said:

You're not wrong imo.

The only one that did deliver in the end was The Last Guardian. And some people might even disagree on that as well.

Yeah was a lovely game that.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rafaqat said:

I'll be honest. I would have liked to have played the original story with the new graphics. They made it much more accessible for me than the originals. So yeah I can go back and play the original but I'll always think, if only I could play it in the new graphical style.   Maybe we'll get that as special edition or DLC. 

I think making something the size of the original FF7 with the Remake’s graphics would cost far, far too much in asset creation to publish as anything but a full-price release, and possibly several full sized releases. And as your post suggests, it would be looked at as a brushed up, nice-as-a-DLC sort of cute extra, not something priced at £60-240. The closest thing we have to that is the FF8 HD upgrade with its new character models and that’s not exactly setting the charts on fire at a fairly cheap £16 or so.

This is the paradox at the centre of the whole project. I really sincerely doubt they could remake FF7 with new graphics and sound - and nothing else new - and make a profit selling it at £60, much less the £16 people would balk at paying for it.

With the option that fans have been clamouring for off the table, they have to square the circle (lol) of creating a completely new modern Final Fantasy title with four sequels that collectively justify a £250+ price tag, or whatever you’d have to charge for 100 hours of modern AAA game, while still making something you can call Final Fantasy 7.

It’s madness and any solution was always going to be patently absurd.

• Upvote 3

Square l i t e r a l y said even as far back as 2015 that this was going to be in multiple instalments. 

I know, but without wanting to read all of the spoilers, I got the impression that it will be just this one installment. Iirc, someone said that this is the reason why they haven't called it FFVII remake part 1.

As I said, it'd take the sting out of most of this if it's still going to be a full blown re-imagining.

What ticked me off was not only would we be getting something we didn't sign up for, but at the same time we'd be told that this game was the end of the project that was supposed to span different games.

• Upvote 1

I still think there’s will be more instalments. They are gonna wring the udders dry on this one. 

1 hour ago, cohen205 said:

I still think there’s will be more instalments. They are gonna wring the udders dry on this one. 

They will try... but each entry into FF XIII got less and less sales.

Give us what we ( die hard FF7 fans ) want, and you can roll the "it prints money" gif all day, week, month and year long.

Give us what THIS sounds like ( yes, I am yet to play it, will play it and do reserve ultimate judgement until I have done, and will apologise if it turns out I've been duped / over dramatic )  and you're likely to get us for the first and possibly second title, nothing more, we're (I am ) already pissed off that it's not turn based to begin with, we played the demo, it seemed like fun, it had some serious nostalgia hits and added in a nice twist at the end of the demo, embelishing the story and adding to it, in a way that was good, but what I have read concerning the end of this remake concerns me, in a way, if this IS how they have treated the fans that have called for a remake, not a reimaging of FF7 for so many years, and it turns out fans have been duped, I will never buy another SE title again, I WILL cut my nose off to spite my face ( yes, no Bravely Default 2 on Switch ), We were told it was a remake, it's in the fucking title, 4, 5 or even 6 seperate chapters, die hard fans won't care, make the game, follow the story, bring the previous title up to modern ( and future ) standards, we love the original, it just graphically is stuck in the 90's, but please don't fck with it, don't mess with the story and don't be something different to what you told us we were getting.

5 years waiting for the first act of a remake, it's a long time for hype and expectations to build, dash those and expect retributon on your next sales target, we ALL know SE titles get dropped in price after a few weeks, and then they drop again and again....... this is getting bought at £20.

I'd love nothign more than to come back into this thread in a couple of weeks and find out I have been lied to , that this was all some shit hoax, and that this is an awesome first part of a FF7 remake that stiks to the original plot, while adding details and character to the world we know and love, but after reading certain things, I am worried it won't be..... and that , ultimately, make me really sad :-(

Sorry, I've had a drink tonight and this is getting to me :-(

• Upvote 3

Back when they first said that it wasn't going to be turn based, I wished that they had just redrawn the backgrounds and polished up the graphics. Like the first Resident Evil remake on GameCube. I have no idea how development works, but surely that would have been cheaper to make than this? And not pissed off all their fans? Or just let it be if you're not going to do it properly.

But, as I said, now that we're here I'm going to enjoy exploring these nostalgic environments with these gorgeous graphics, and try to forget what could have been and what was promised.

On 11/06/2019 at 19:01, RubberJohnny said:

Where have they said it’s 20-30 hours? The original is like 6 to 8

Times are coming in on HLTB and completion screenshots are being posted on reddit, and it looks like it’s more than 6 to 8 hours. :) I’m taking the times with a grain of salt at the moment (at least until more data is recorded), but I would have expected many more times to be recorded by now if it was the length of the original...

26 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

It’s a standalone game. It says so on the back of the box. And given the revelations, it’s unlikely a part 2 is coming.

Square’s multiple parts talk was either deliberately misleading or scrapped at some point.

They’ve already confirmed that development on part 2 is well underway.

• Upvote 1

Stayed out of here as much as I can, but buckled.

Hang on.....So this isn't what they promised? A super flashy remake of the original game?? Thought that's what remastered was?

1 hour ago, Qazimod said:

Times are coming in on HLTB and completion screenshots are being posted on reddit, and it looks like it’s more than 6 to 8 hours. :) I’m taking the times with a grain of salt at the moment (at least until more data is recorded), but I would have expected many more times to be recorded by now if it was the length of the original...

I mean it sounds like

Spoiler

There’s lots of enforced padding, main story progression is limited by sidequests, you can’t raid the Shinra building until you kill some rats for a shopkeeper and find someone’s cat, you helpful terrorists. The main story bit isn’t much longer than the original.

16 minutes ago, Dave White said:

Stayed out of here as much as I can, but buckled.

Hang on.....So this isn't what they promised? A super flashy remake of the original game?? Thought that's what remastered was?

nope. Sounds like a fairly different story in the same universe using some elements from the original story. 

the demo seemed to be built to re-assure people they were buying a straight remaster. I’m getting vibes similar to the Metal Gear Solid 2 demo bait and switch. 

Now I've had time to think about it I

Spoiler

think that it's actually quite an interesting way to approach it. A fully-fledged, scene-for-scene remake was never going to be a viable option: it would have cost millions and would have tied up Squeenix for the next five plus years. Doing it this way gives fans their nostalgia hit without just repeating everything and allows them to experience a different narrative with the same characters and locations, just not necessarily in the same order as the original.

Also, having replayed the Switch port of the original last year, after the first third of the game the story really does just fall to bits and was always horribly translated. As long as this doesn't end up being like Advent Children the narrative has a decent shot at being more satisfying than the one of the original. The fighting system, too, would seem antiquated in a game like this in 2020 and needed updating.

BUT, and it's a big but, the developers should have been transparent with this stuff from the very beginning. They've sold it as a "remake" from the very start and have misled people into thinking that's what it is. Lots of people, quite rightly, are going to be pissed off.

19 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

nope. Sounds like a fairly different story in the same universe using some elements from the original story. 

the demo seemed to be built to re-assure people they were buying a straight remaster. I’m getting vibes similar to the Metal Gear Solid 2 demo bait and switch. 

Wow!

Bit naughty like to say the least.

Mines on the way..... do I break the seal and have a proper grumble, or just carry on with FFXIV and enjoy myself?