rllmuk
Keyboard Koala

Final Fantasy VII Remake

39 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

I mean it sounds like

Hide contents

There’s lots of enforced padding, main story progression is limited by sidequests, you can’t raid the Shinra building until you kill some rats for a shopkeeper and find someone’s cat, you helpful terrorists. The main story bit isn’t much longer than the original.

More has happened Story wise in the first few hours than I covered in the same in Midgar in the original.

I mean, you’ve all played the demo right? The “padding” in that is spending more time getting to know Biggs, Wedge, Jessie, who are awesome.  In the original Biggs and Jessie just stand by doors. And Jessie falls over. The end. They actually have personalities now.

The chunk of midgar I’ve seen so far feels like a living breathing place. You’re far more connected to it and the people.  

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

If some folks here think my reaction has been bad, wait until the thousands of Era and Twitter FFVII fans get wind of this. They’re still expecting a full remake.

As if that matters .

Quite excited to see what they’ve done . Looking forward to playing it .

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Triple A said:

What do you mean could've, in past tense?

He’s decided we aren’t going to get another game, ever.  Because it can “standalone”, which Square themselves say on their online store, like this is some big revolutionary news piece.

• Upvote 1

Back of the box by the way, which @grindmouse is selectively quoting (for a change).

Yes, it says standalone game.

IT ALSO SAYS FIRST.... in the project.

601EEFBC-767D-472D-865B-6DBC1D3DB97A.jpeg

• Upvote 6

Only played this for a couple of hours but I’m enjoying it. Wasn’t really expecting a beat for beat remake, how could that work? I didn’t play the demo though; what was in it that led to people having different expectations for the main game?

3 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Back when they first said that it wasn't going to be turn based, I wished that they had just redrawn the backgrounds and polished up the graphics. Like the first Resident Evil remake on GameCube. I have no idea how development works, but surely that would have been cheaper to make than this? And not pissed off all their fans? Or just let it be if you're not going to do it properly.

Who says it's going to piss off all the fans? Some, of course.

It's a shame this ending has leaked so soon. I hope it doesn't spoil people's enjoyment of the rest of the game.

Just now, BadgerFarmer said:

It's a shame this ending has leaked so soon. I hope it doesn't spoil people's enjoyment of the rest of the game.

It’s actually (No real spoilers but just in case)

putting a really cool context on stuff for me, really making me think more about things.  But that’s just me.

We always knew there was going to be something more happening in this story than the original, the trailers showed as much.

I think it's fine and pretty cool. There will deffo be sequels and potential cross overs, new bosses etc. The actual core game seems decent too from what iv seen

Wait so you’re saying it’s the usual doom and gloom posters stirring stuff up? What a surprise.

”wait until Era hears about this!!!”

Who actually gives a fuck what people on Era think, a place that makes the majority of rllmuk look positively cheerful.

• Upvote 8

2 minutes ago, Bojangle said:

Who actually gives a fuck what people on Era think, a place that makes the majority of rllmuk look positively cheerful.

With the odd exception ;)

37 minutes ago, BadgerFarmer said:

Ah, you're right. Who knows what people who don't frequent forums like this will make of it. Like I said, I'm glad I know beforehand that it's actually something different than what was promised. Now there's a chance I might enjoy it for what it is. Imho they should have been upfront about it.

I'm somewhere between 10-15 hours (the in game clock doesn't seem to always pause), and I don't know anything about the original plot but I've just been through a chapter that I really enjoyed - and it gives Yakuza a run for its money in campness and I thought was hilarious. The game is very linear and I've completed 3 sets of side quests which are really just padding as they are mostly fetch quests.

2 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

Why are you defending this so vigorously sprite. Look at the wording.

Standalone game.

First in the “Final Fantasy VII Remake” project.

There’s nothing in the wording tying them to a chronological re-telling of FFVII, which is what everybody was expecting. Calling it a “project” rather than saga, for example, just means there is an intention / potential for further standalone titles based in the FFVII universe.

I was responding to a specific point someone made about you using past tense to describe development of FF7 Remake, as if development on the project is all completely done with.

And it really annoys me when people take wording out of context to further their own agenda.  You riled me by specifically doing that to me yesterday, and you’ve still not apologised.

Anyway, I’m off to play my beautiful new game. 

Not to interrupt this fascinating discussion, but can I just note that it's incredibly annoying and shit that brought the physical release forward but not the digital release? I mean, what the fuck. In a time where buying digital is is the safer option to begin with, and everyone is stuck at home, why???

Rant over.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Not to interrupt this fascinating discussion, but can I just note that it's incredibly annoying and shit that brought the physical release forward but not the digital release? I mean, what the fuck. In a time where buying digital is is the safer option to begin with, and everyone is stuck at home, why???

Rant over.

I fully support this rant. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Rant over.

I’m kind of pleased , because it means release will tie in with a bank holiday weekend with fuck all to do .

3 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

And I’m not apologising to you. Square lied and have indulged in some very cynical marketing practices.

Extreme gamer energy from this post.

Think you might have a class action case on your hands here!

• Upvote 3

The last few pages have made me much more confused about this game. I was under the impression it was going to be a retelling of the first part of the FF7 story but not the whole thing. You were still playing as Cloud, who is a bit dull but he's got a big sword so it all balances out. That is still the case right?

I'm just a bit "wtf" trying to follow the current thread as they've either changed or added things and that might be the worst thing in the world or it might be fine. Some people seem to be going out of their way to treat the changes like the worst thing since Mike Ashley. At least the debate isn't focusing on whether or not the devs have given in to those accursed SJWs and adjusted Tifas cupsize. So that's a positive. 

I just want to know:

1. Is it any good?

They've made er... divisive changes.

You can probably expect the community to split into opposing camps as to how they fall on it with lots of recriminations like with the Star Wars and Star Trek revivals once everyone has had their hands on it (our threads for which had more reports than the rest of the forum combined).

Spoiler

This already seems to be happening in a few places online, people are reverse ferreting from being really excited for "finally getting that remake after 15 years" to "why would anyone want a remake" and calling people who want one the changebad ghosts.

I imagine the split point is "how much bullshit are you willing to accept from Nomura?", or more specifically, "are you a fan of the Kingdom Hearts series?"

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, bear said:

The last few pages have made me much more confused about this game. I was under the impression it was going to be a retelling of the first part of the FF7 story but not the whole thing. You were still playing as Cloud, who is a bit dull but he's got a big sword so it all balances out. That is still the case right?

I'm just a bit "wtf" trying to follow the current thread as they've either changed or added things and that might be the worst thing in the world or it might be fine. Some people seem to be going out of their way to treat the changes like the worst thing since Mike Ashley. At least the debate isn't focusing on whether or not the devs have given in to those accursed SJWs and adjusted Tifas cupsize. So that's a positive. 

I just want to know:

1. Is it any good?

Probably, especially as the demo was great unless you didn’t like it then maybe not. 

It’s not even out yet properly and there’s not even any reviews.

The game is the first in a multipart series, which has been know since it was announced. 

People here have gone straight to ending spoilers or pointing out some story diversions from the original and are using this to perpetually troll up the thread. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, bear said:

I just want to know:

1. Is it any good?

So far, so good for me. :wub: 

Cloud is potentially less dull than before.

Remember when MGS:TTS came out and I thought they’d whiffed it because they added the new MGS2 game mechanics without modifying the levels at all?

Simpler times.

• Upvote 6

11 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Probably, especially as the demo was great unless you didn’t like it then maybe not. 

It’s not even out yet properly and there’s not even any reviews.

The game is the first in a multipart series, which has been know since it was announced. 

People here have gone straight to ending spoilers or pointing out some story diversions from the original and are using this to perpetually troll up the thread. 

Cheers. 

I didn't bother downloading the demo as I was never that big of a FF7 fan when it came out originally. Exactly 11 years ago. 

So it's basically outrage that it's not a beat for beat retelling of the original story? 

1 minute ago, bear said:

Cheers. 

I didn't bother downloading the demo as I was never that big of a FF7 fan when it came out originally. Exactly 11 years ago. 

So it's basically outrage that it's not a beat for beat retelling of the original story? 

Likely yes, but I haven’t dug into these changes as I actually want to play the game, unlike some of the said trolls. 

• Upvote 1

Not sure about the base, but I do have a few issues on my pro. Overall it looks terrific but not as sharp as the demo location. There's places where it seems like the highest quality texture isn't loading. It is probably an artistic choice, but some places look noticeably less crisp. One place this stands out is the door to my room which just permanently looks like it is missing a texture. I expect there will be an early patch for this.

10 minutes ago, carlospie said:

How's it run on base ps4? 

good :) 

It looks gorgeous, loading times are minimal, very impressive actually.  I’ve not had any loading screens in an hour of running around the area I’m in.

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

It’s not even out yet properly and there’s not even any reviews

I'm sorry for pointing this out, but you're definitely wrong here. This isn't some stores breaking embargo or the game leaking online for filthy pirates to gobble up, this is the official publisher officially deciding to release the physical game early. So for all intents and purposes it's officially out.

Their mistake is not bringing the digital release forward in tandem, and I have to assume that also means that the review embargo hasn't been brought forward either. That's an arguably silly decision because the game is out, people are playing and discussing it. People can buy it right now though official channels but they can't read a review yet because the embargo is still in place.

• Upvote 6