IGNORED

Final Fantasy VII Remake

Keyboard Koala

My bro, who is a materia master of the old games, gave me a great tip:

Link Magnify* materia with Time materia. Cast Haste on one of your team, and all your team gets it. That means all your team get their ATB bars filled super quick. :D

*In the old game, it was called 'All' Materia. 

Regarding the Guardian Angel. 

Spoiler

Well gee golly gosh, I never saw that coming. No sir. :coffee:

Still, she has one of the better lines in the game: "Learn to wipe your own ass before you start rooting around in other people's shit." :lol:

19 minutes ago, Thor said:

My bro, who is a materia master of the old games, gave me a great tip:

Link Magnify* materia with Time materia. Cast Haste on one of your team, and all your team gets it. That means all your team get their ATB bars filled super quick. :D

*In the old game, it was called 'All' Materia. 

oh crap! Magnify is all! Amazing!!!

19 hours ago, Capwn said:

Played 3 hours of this last night. It's great etc BUT they have royally messed up Sephiroth. I'm going to spoiler the rest which is info about Sephiroth's early presence from the original, just to be safe,

Reveal hidden contents

So in the original, the game showed incredible restraint in showing Sephiroth, he's talked of like a mystical legend for the majority of the 'Midgar bit' (i.e the entirety of the remake). The first I remember seeing of him was playing alongside him in some kind of interactive 'flashback', you are fighting these soldiers and doing something like 150 HP damage and Sephiroth is doing like 9000 HP damage or something. In the back of my mind was 'There is no way I could ever defeat him.' 

It was such a clever moment, something that wouldn't translate as well in any other medium. Actually playing alongside him and looking so weak in comparison. 

In this remake however he's just instantly chatting to you every 5 mins being all like "Grrr...power...I'm a BAD guy!" etc. It's pretty pathetic really, it's as it they wanted to get this iconic character out there asap to satisfy the fans. It's a huge mistake. If I had my way, I'd have never shown him in any trailers and you just HEAR about him in the game. Then in the closing parts of the entire game you have the interactive flashback moment followed later by your first encounter. The end.

I guess it's because this time round 90% of the people playing it will have played the original. Everyone knows Sephiroth, either from FF7 or other lore like Crisis Core, etc. It's not an unknown villain anymore.

5 minutes ago, sprite said:

Ok so I have a question, spoilers, need to have got to at least chapter 13

Reveal hidden contents

when Shinra dropped the plate, did they also drop the “Sector 7” that was ON the plate? Or where is the topside down we visited?

Yes. The topside sits on the plate (and is essentially part of the plate). The pillar just holds up the whole thing. Think of it like a 2 storey house where someone smashes all the structural walls down - the second storey just crashes down.

2 hours ago, Pandy said:

Hide contents

Yes. The topside sits on the plate (and is essentially part of the plate). The pillar just holds up the whole thing. Think of it like a 2 storey house where someone smashes all the structural walls down - the second storey just crashes down.

Yeah, that’s what I thought!

It just seems so weird to not mention those people at all. People who worked for Shinra according to Jessie.  Jessie’s family. Such focus on evacuating the undercity but nothing up above...

Also, chapter 14...

Wow, really running out of ideas for how to pad this out, eh?

Don’t get me wrong I’m still loving the game, characters, music, etc.

But no way in hell did it need an “I know, let’s go back to the sewers!” after already doing the same with the collapsed expressway. Boring.

1 hour ago, sprite said:

Also, chapter 14...

Reveal hidden contents

Wow, really running out of ideas for how to pad this out, eh?

Don’t get me wrong I’m still loving the game, characters, music, etc.

But no way in hell did it need an “I know, let’s go back to the sewers!” after already doing the same with the collapsed expressway. Boring.

Hey, it worked for Halo, and everyone proclaims that game to be a masterpiece. ;)

Chapter 7 boss question:

Spoiler

While sabotaging the airbuster, there appears to be no choice but to spend the first keycard on an M-unit. Is that correct? I'd ideally like to save all cards for AI cores and big bombs.

1 hour ago, Wroth said:

Chapter 7 boss question:

Hide contents

While sabotaging the airbuster, there appears to be no choice but to spend the first keycard on an M-unit. Is that correct? I'd ideally like to save all cards for AI cores and big bombs.

I wondered this.

Can you choose simply not to use the first one?

I’m in Chapter 17 now, and the pattern of

“here’s a great bit of story PSYCH THAT’S IT, let’s just set you back a few hours from where you were by some arbitrary padding mechanic” bit has long outstayed its welcome.  In a way I will be glad to reach the end because it does feel a bit like they’ve had to stretch things out for say the latter third of the game.

Up to chapter six, the acting has genuinely raised a few chuckles in its awfulness. My missus has looked up a few times is disbelief at how naff it is. 

Like FF15, just need to turn your brain off and roll with it, because the batting really is satisfying. Need some tips on blocking/countering though - any helpful guides around?

13 minutes ago, spanx said:

Up to chapter six, the acting has genuinely raised a few chuckles in its awfulness. My missus has looked up a few times is disbelief at how naff it is. 

Like FF15, just need to turn your brain off and roll with it, because the batting really is satisfying. Need some tips on blocking/countering though - any helpful guides around?

Ha, I’ve hardly been guarding or countering, I’m such a silly face at times.

What I’ve found (and has been frustrating at times, especially when I want to get my Tifa groove on) is that the enemy AI really seems to focus the character you’re controlling.  So switching around really works wonders. 

14 minutes ago, sprite said:

Ha, I’ve hardly been guarding or countering,

Snap. The guard and counter only works on melee hits, which is what, 2% of all fights? I like the mechanic, and it's satisfying when it works, but it's not practical for most fights. Not from my experience anyway. 

Just now, Thor said:

Snap. The guard and counter only works on melee hits, which is what, 2% of all fights? I like the mechanic, and it's satisfying when it works, but it's not practical for most fights. Not from my experience anyway. 

Used Magnify to great effect today. An enemy made multiple copies of itself. I Thundaga’d them all. It was beautiful carnage. :wub: 

I'm up to the second batch of sidequests (Chapter 8 and did them all). I did all the first batch in Chapter 3 as well. Am I in danger from becoming too OP from all these side quest rewards? I love the combat but don't want it to become a cakewalk later on.

On 12/04/2020 at 19:23, Thor said:

Clearly this wasn't made in mind of those who like to play without subtitles. When the characters are talking to someone on a TV screen, the person on the screen is muffled to the point of being incomprehensible. What a stupid design choice. :rolleyes:

Feel exactly the same, I didn't have them on and in Chapter 7s climax I could barely make out some of what was being said in cutscenes, and in combat just forget it. I turned them on for a bit in Chapter 8 but it ruins the voice acting delivery of lines as its almost impossible not to read ahead, so I've turned them off again. I even turned the music down by 2 points but it doesn't help. What a shame. I'm going to have to live with it I think.

8 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

Top tip, read the Manual which is in the menu you bring up with the Options button. I read it last night and there's some really handy shortcuts and info about character strengths.

You read the instructions? What are you, some kind of psychopath? ;)

2 hours ago, sprite said:

I wondered this.

Hide contents

Can you choose simply not to use the first one?

It would appear not.

Spoiler

Barret just yells at you to use the keycard if you try to leave.

Does anyone know what the numbers over the ability window in the equipment section represent?

Inked20200413_214022_LI.jpg

17 minutes ago, Wroth said:

It would appear not.

Hide contents

Barret just yells at you to use the keycard if you try to leave.

Does anyone know what the numbers over the ability window in the equipment section represent?

Inked20200413_214022_LI.jpg

are they the number of nodes you have activated in the weapon upgrade screen, on each of the core/sub cores?

Nearing the end and apart from some minor dips here and there this really improved a lot since late in Chapter 9 and the moment I switched the combat to from normal to easy. 

Mind you, the first 12 hours or so is a mind numbing slog.

Up to Chapter 8, stuck on the 3 Venomantis battle and cannot be arsed anymore. Didn't get the elemental materia in Chapter 6, I think I would need that plus Ice to have chance so think I'll skip it. 

Otherwise enjoying this game, has  been a complete life saver over the long weekend in terms of staving off boredom!