IGNORED

Final Fantasy VII Remake

Keyboard Koala

I loved the original FF7 story but you know what could've improved on it?

Spoiler

Time travel, alternate dimensions and a reality warping battle with the concept of fate itself at the end of the first act. That totally doesn't undermine everything else that comes after.

Spoiler

Oh, and plot ghosts.

Spoiler

And a new soldier character who has sex with bikes

Spoiler

That last one wasn't sarcasm. I actually genuinely like Roche

6 hours ago, Peb Kacharach said:

Because...

Hide contents

Some people, myself included, like FFVII, but hated Advent Children, Kingdom Hearts and all that other awful shit that Square have pumped out. I wanted this to be a straight remake of FFVII and unfortunately it is clearly not and is infested with all of Square's worst "story-telling" impulses.

Spoiler

I've never seen Advent Children or played Kingdom Hearts, but I can't say that anything in the remake was more ridiculous than about 90% of the role playing games I've played. Including the original Final Fantasy VII. (While I do think that's one of the less preposterous ones, it still has some pretty hokey nonsense in there.) If you were to ask me which version I preferred it would definitely be the original, but I enjoyed my time with the remake well enough. I seem to remember the game director saying they weren't interested in a slavish remake, and personally I think that was the right decision. They had to walk a fine line between nostalgia for the original, and doing something different for this version, and clearly they were never going to please everyone.

I'd also question whether releasing a game that differs in narrative structure while keeping the themes of the original is the grand betrayal it was made out to be. Disappointment is a perfectly valid response, but apoplectic entitled rage probably isn't.

I'm on chapter 16 now and really enjoying it. And loving the way they've put the story together and the combat, materia and weapon upgrade system. My playtime thus far is about 40 hours and all 3 of my team are level 33 right now and, jumping to the next instalment of the game, presumably they'll be an option (or an obligation) to play on at my end game finishing level? And presumably this first instalment with that in mind is level capped? (Just checked - yes level capped at 50). Or do you think the next instalment will start at some kind of level fix at say 35 to 40?

Anyone got any tips for the boss at the end of

Spoiler

Train Graveyard - The ghost?.  Seems to be the only enemy so far that you can cast cure on so maybe that does some damage?  Otherwise how do you know which type of attact it is invulnerable from?

7 minutes ago, Parappa said:

Hide contents

Train Graveyard - The ghost?.  Seems to be the only enemy so far that you can cast cure on so maybe that does some damage?  Otherwise how do you know which type of attact it is invulnerable from?

Spoiler

I haven’t played this game but traditionally in Final Fantasy undead-type enemies are weak against healing items like potions and Phoenix Downs. 

10 minutes ago, Parappa said:

Hide contents

I can't remember having too many problems (on normal). You have been using your assess ability haven't you?

24 minutes ago, Stolly said:

I can't remember having too many problems (on normal). You have been using your assess ability haven't you?

Yeah and it tells me what it is weak against etc but having checked my materia loadout it seems I may have missed a few things.  Will give it a go again tonight. 

2 hours ago, Parappa said:

Hide contents

when it’s in “solid form it’s vulnerable to physical and immune to magic , when it’s In “ghost form” it’s the opposite, save your limit breaks for the right form  

Finished this the other day. Mechanically it’s miles better than the original. I didn’t  like the Sephiroth stuff much, but I appreciate that they couldn’t really leave his introduction the same as the original, and just not have him involved in any way whatsoever for 40 hours. There’s obviously some padding, and the pacing is all over the place, but overall I really really enjoyed my time with it and I’m excited to see where it goes next.

In terms of tone and great character moments, Wall Market is definitely a big highlight. There are a few bits in other chapters where the pace lulls but even then I still enjoyed the combat and shinies (new gear, new materia) enough to press on to the better bits. :) 

I've been grinding through this, enjoying some bits, but feeling some bits really drag.

I've just got to Chapter 14 and I'm about to give up on it.

Spoiler

Midgar Slums - having to do more side quests that seem exactly like the ones in Chapter 8 ('Find the Children' etc)

Someone tell me it's worth sticking with, please!

3 hours ago, meatbin said:

I've been grinding through this, enjoying some bits, but feeling some bits really drag.

I've just got to Chapter 14 and I'm about to give up on it.

Reveal hidden contents

Midgar Slums - having to do more side quests that seem exactly like the ones in Chapter 8 ('Find the Children' etc)

Someone tell me it's worth sticking with, please!

You’ve come so far so quitting at ch. 14 would be insane! 
Ch. 14 is the 3rd and final side quest section and by far the biggest PITA, I enjoy the side quests but it feels the game throws so many on you at this point. 

You can just cut your losses and move onto ch. 15, you won’t be under levelled (I don’t think). 

Ch. 15 through to the end is absolutely my favourite chunk of the game. It’s sooo good, so just move onto it. 

I gave up unfortunately - I got to Chapter 9 and perhaps 16 hours in but I guess I just thought it wasn't a very good game up to that point. I might pick it up again to see the story through 

I think that, with the "padding" what a lot of people playing this game are forgetting is that its an rpg and, instead of having the completely unseen random battles of the first game, you can see each battle coming with this version (which is a good thing) but, at the same time you need the option to go back to places and level up or max out different weapons to arm yourself with the full range of their abilities. A non-fleshed out straight run would ruin the rpg-ness of it, wouldn't it?

1 hour ago, Peb Kacharach said:

But again, was this an issue for The Witcher 3, which was a much larger scale game. Either they commit to it being a shorter action game, or flesh out the city with side quests that are actually interesting and world-building. Or don’t choose to set this entire game in Midgar.

The reuse of rooms one after the other in the sewer, train tracks, reactors, under sector 7 are just glaringly low-effort and lazy. Apparently all of the devs passion went into male gaze sequences involving Jessie, Tifa and Aerith.

I guess so but even then, given that Midgar wasn't a wander where you like area in the original, they perhaps felt that it shouldn't suddenly become too free-range in the remake either. I know from playing the original a few times, breaking out into the open from Midgar was a key driver to progress. You almost feel claustrophobic in many ways in Midgar. And some of the glimpses of what wider world might look like in the remake do look appetising. I think that the side quests have only been small in number and have helped get to grips with the geography as well as meet new enemies to fight (they for sure aren't all rats). And at certain points in proceedings it's good that you can go off and/or backtrack and level up as much as you want to. I agree with you about introducing the press L1 to return to surface though when you need to re-visit the sewers - that shouldn't be necessary but I guess the L1 is there with level grinding in mind rather than plot line following??

There's an amazing callback to the original game with a glossy presentation of Shinra and the history of the company. It's an amazing subversion of the original. The presentation of the life stream that you see at Cosmo Canyon in the original turned into an ultra impressive yet gaudy advertisement / propaganda piece.

18 hours ago, Peb Kacharach said:

The Shinra presentation showing the Ancients and the idealised version of Midgar was excellent.

For an organisation propagating so much BS they succeeded in making it look like the slickest, most professional thing :D It’s a great segment.

Any tips for beating

Spoiler

Sephiroth?

I setup my materia for all party members that I assume will be involved and get about half way down his energy before dying - and restarting and having to reset all the materia again - WTF!  There seems to be no way of saving your materia loadout before this fight which is fucking stupid as I just want to finish this now. 

While on the subject of tips, I'm having a mare with Rufus. I'm getting really good at the first part of the fight,

Spoiler

killing Darkstar, 

but once I get to Rufus alone he's moving around like a mofo and I just don't get much of a chance to build up any ATB. If I could just hit him a couple times it would fecking help :rolleyes: 

Spoiler

I sort of think I know what I need to do, try and hit him while he's reloading, and I know braver will stagger him (and firaga seemed helpful when Darkstar was involved as well), but I'm just not doing it right and not getting any chance to fire off an ability, use a spell or an item. Rolling doesn't seem to be the answer as I alway end up too far away from him and, by the time I get beside him, his reload is long done. Running around doesn't seem to work any better either

19 minutes ago, Stolly said:

While on the subject of tips, I'm having a mare with Rufus. I'm getting really good at the first part of the fight,

Reveal hidden contents

killing Darkstar, 

but once I get to Rufus alone he's moving around like a mofo and I just don't get much of a chance to build up any ATB. If I could just hit him a couple times it would fecking help :rolleyes: 

Hide contents

I sort of think I know what I need to do, try and hit him while he's reloading, and I know braver will stagger him (and firaga seemed helpful when Darkstar was involved as well), but I'm just not doing it right and not getting any chance to fire off an ability, use a spell or an item. Rolling doesn't seem to be the answer as I alway end up too far away from him and, by the time I get beside him, his reload is long done. Running around doesn't seem to work any better either

Yeah you are right about when you need to get him but I have been using focused slash (or whatever it's called) as that seems to stagger them more.

As it turns out I just tried that with

Spoiler

Sephiroth

and he is now down and out 8-)

Interesting to see where this goes - I cant rememeber a lot about the originalls story so if anyone can shed any light on how this compares I would be greateful.