Final Fantasy VII Remake

This is The Last Jedi all over again in that I feel that this was made for me and yet the majority of fans online are either disappointed or sad.

And just like the last Jedi it's one of these weird cases where the reasons why critics are rightly annoyed at this remake are the same reasons why I loved it. I've recently come to terms with realising that one of the things I love in games is narrative while for others too much story just gets in the way. (And while I loved it the game takes about 35 hours to finish. About 8 of those are cut scenes. That's a lot to grind through if you want to get to the meat of the game.)

Or to quote videogamedunkey "In Final Fantasy 7 you have to grind through the battles to get a little bit of story. In Final Fantasy Remake you have to grind through the story to get to the battles."

I'm seeing some of the content now for the third time (I'm on my second run and my partner is playing through) and I'm still amazed by most of it My partner has done the same thing she did with my run of Dragon Age:Inquisition. She's taken notes and adapted her play style digging deeper into the systems and taking down bosses and mobs that took me minutes in mere seconds.

I might just play this on hard one time to see how I go.

22 hours ago, Peb Kacharach said:

Square should've kept the core story here down to 15 hours and all that excess padding should've been portioned off into separate Battle Mode.

The battle system is great, and this way you keep grinding and longevity for players in the game without impairing the story. Completing Battle mode challenges and versions of the bosses would be a campaign in itself, sort of like the colosseum in Wall Market. This could unlock specific items, weapons and costumes only available in Battle mode. It falls outside the remit of a remake but they have a battle system with swordsman, gunner, brawler, mage setup... it could lend itself to universe-faithful character creation, PvP and timed events.

Part of being critical is looking at how the developer approached a problem, and in this case they wanted to budget Midgar for one game, without it being a complex open world or expanding on the original's plot beats or introducing new areas. So the decision Square took was to pad the game out with some very dated level design, and underbaked character work.

I understand the argument that they needed to do this for the game to be an RPG, as grinding and leveling is part of that... but there is a problem when gameplay is in conflict with the narrative pacing and player engagement. Or maybe it just needed to be better (sewer levels jesus christ)?

Lets face it, you were never going to like it due to your preconceptions. You were also never going to say that your preconceptions were wrong in any way, shape, or form.

On 20/06/2020 at 17:28, El Spatula said:

Lets face it, you were never going to like it due to your preconceptions. You were also never going to say that your preconceptions were wrong in any way, shape, or form.

I don't think that's fair, pretty much most of us came in with pre-conceptions. I know I went in thinking it would be a disaster. I'd held off from buying it but my partner bought it and came home with the request "let's play this next." And I loved it. But just like The Last Jedi there were several bits I loved where I had the thought "some people are going to hate this." It's a brave game that's guaranteed to put off as many fans as it is to retain. It's also a strange game that seems designed to pull in new fans but there's several things that a newcomer will be completely confused about.

My partner has never played 7 (coming into the series at FF10, her favourite of the lot) and it's been interesting seeing her reaction to the characters and themes. (She can't wait for the next game in the series but has no desire to play "the real" Final Fantasy 7 after bouncing off it.

But yeah, in the end you like what you like and I can't fault some for disliking it.

1 hour ago, Peb Kacharach said:

From the get go people on this forum, an unofficial Edge forum, have had a problem with anyone taking a critical view of the direction of the writing of this game. Why this game is exempt, given the developers took a major departure from the source, but worse made something supplementary and meta that requires knowledge of the source, is a mystery to me.

There was a whole discussion about the direction and writing in the game, with people arguing for both sides. It went on for pages.

That was after the game came out and people had played it, of course. Very different to your tantrum based on leaks and rumours before release, spoilng something that could've been a complete surprise. Don't think you ever apologised for that BTW.

And now you've played it and you don't like it. Partridgeshrug.gif. 

21 hours ago, Unofficial Who said:

I disagree with you Peb  but this is The Last Jedi all over again in that I feel that this was made for me and yet the majority of fans online are either disappointed or sad.

And just like the last Jedi it's one of these weird cases where the reasons why critics are rightly annoyed at this remake are the same reasons why I loved it. I've recently come to terms with realising that one of the things I love in games is narrative while for others too much story just gets in the way. (And while I loved it the game takes about 35 hours to finish. About 8 of those are cut scenes. That's a lot to grind through if you want to get to the meat of the game.)

Or to quote videogamedunkey "In Final Fantasy 7 you have to grind through the battles to get a little bit of story. In Final Fantasy Remake you have to grind through the story to get to the battles."

Agreed on sewer levels though, it's 2020, we don't need one of those let alone two or three.

I liked the sewer levels. Reminded me of the Resident Evil remakes, just without the scares. The tunnel with the robot arm puzzles on the other hand was awful.

I think Barrett can be seen problematic but that was true in the original too, he's very "Mr T". They don't have him smashing random passengers on the train in the head or beating up his team like in the original. I don't think he's too bad but I'm not the person to answer that.

As for effeminate hardman protagonists, they do make fun of this at several points which I loved.

I didn't find the gaze on the characters too leery although I can't think why Tifa wouldn't just ditch the braces given how impractical they look. I asked my partner about this and her words "I don't know but there's plenty of eye candy there for those interested in guys here." I didn't find it too bad, there's nothing near as bad as Cindy from FF15 in this.

But these were all present in the original. All of the designs of the characters seem to be in keeping with the original.

• 3 weeks later...

Stupid question but is the elemental materia worth getting, I'm currently on the 2nd chance to get it since I missed the first time. The one where you have to do all these side quests for the angel blah blah. Admittedly I sort of fallen out of love playing this and just want to speed on to the end but a part of me knows I may regret that decision later on in battles.

4 hours ago, yakumo said:

Stupid question but is the elemental materia worth getting, I'm currently on the 2nd chance to get it since I missed the first time. The one where you have to do all these side quests for the angel blah blah. Admittedly I sort of fallen out of love playing this and just want to speed on to the end but a part of me knows I may regret that decision later on in battles.

Yes, TBH. If you've missed the first one, it's well worth it. And if you have any intention of playing on in NG+, it's pretty much essential to have both of them,. 

I went back to my post-game save the other day and grabbed the additional music discs. I recommend doing this after you've finished the game because finding them is a lot easier when

Spoiler

you can jump between chapters. (Also: being ridiculously overlevelled for early areas is a satisfying side-effect.)

I'm not really doing it for trophies, but I do like the soundtrack and was disappointed that I initially missed so many! Oh, and it doesn't hurt to have a guide because even with my spoilered thing you still need to do quite a bit of gameplay if you want to find some of them...

• 2 weeks later...

My partner is on her third or fourth playthrough of this and we're running it on a plain PS4 and....how does this game look this good? Seriously it's an absolute stunner to look at with not a single jagged edge to be seen. The little touches like how the lights around Cloud reflect off his blade are amazing.

It fails the mirror test (I suspect that if it had working mirrors the system would melt into a lump of plastic) but I can't quite work out what's going on to make all this happen. I've worked out some of the tricks (whenever Cloud and co drop to a stroll to chat it's streaming in the next area, close-ups have three or less people visible) but the whole thing looks much better than it has any business doing. I can't imagine it looking much better on next gen systems.

Finally started playing this. After my package was held at the French border for nearly a month last April/May, I decided to put off playing til I had some time, and that time is now here.

But I am really underwhelmed. It starts out amazing, but after the opening chapters it quickly becomes a chore, and has been so ever since now that I'm at Ch. 9. The quote "In Final Fantasy 7 you have to grind through the battles to get a little bit of story. In Final Fantasy Remake you have to grind through the story to get to the battles" is right on the head. And I think I preferred more battles. I'll see where it goes, but the score in EDGE seems about right so far.

8 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Scenes like that make me believe that the meeting on deciding how to remake FF VII must've been concluded with: "You know what was a great game? Shenmue!" While the rest of the attendees nodded approvingly.

You're not the only one to have noticed that. I've heard loads of fans of the remake say that this is like a Final Fantasy 7 themed version of Yakuza which led me to buying Yakuza Zero recently.

On 06/08/2020 at 09:14, Keyboard Koala said:

I'm carrying on with this simply because it's FF VII, but by god, did the sewers/train wreck yard double whammy of utter boredom make me wish for a closer rendition of the PS1 original.

It's really weird. Under the plate, the sewers and the ghost train are all there in the original but they're pretty short. Whereas these parts felt like a drag to me.

And they did to my partner too but she's now returning post game to use them as fodder to dig into the games combat systems.

First run through though, they're too long for sure.