IGNORED

Great CD Revival

Alexlotl

I checked out those Prodigy remixes on Spotify (stomping!) and have now ordered the Front 242 Mut@ge Mix@ge remix CD with them on. I also really like the Pussy Whipped remix on the Religion CD single I already have - a cacophony of noise combining rock samples and rave samples, seemingly all held together by pure energy.

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, acidbearboy said:

Are they new or used?

Both, kinda. Some of them had never been out of the cellophane since the buyer purchased them 20 odd years ago, with their Tower Records price stickers still on.

3 minutes ago, Ste_S said:

Err, no?

Yep - bought one for my daily commute back in about 1998 - burned through x2 AA's in about 60 minutes. Jumped on the MiniDisc bandwagon after that, never looked back

I don’t really see the point in them these days either. CDs for home and to actually own the music in the mastering of your preference, then rip them for digital playback on the move.

Actually using CDs on the hoof is just a bit perverse. There’s no magic in the medium, they’re just a nice balance of physicality and convenience. 

Put the money towards a decent Plextor drive from back in their glory days, it’ll serve you better than a portable player. 

16 minutes ago, englishbob said:

Yep - bought one for my daily commute back in about 1998 - burned through x2 AA's in about 60 minutes. Jumped on the MiniDisc bandwagon after that, never looked back

The video isn't suggesting anyone use them for portable music listening, more so as a cheap way to get into listening to CDs at home. Despite having an ok hifi, I still use my Sony Discman fairly frequently; normally when working at my desk or sat out in the garden. Coupled with a decent pair of cans, it sounds excellent.

Car boot season started again a few weeks ago; pickings have been good. Here's a selection from the last two weeks (ignore the price labels, haggling occurred).

spacer.png

Melon Collie is compressed to all hell, and Sugar Tax appears to be balls, but I'm pleased with the rest. Also picked up an unremastered 90s copy of Thriller, which I somehow neglected to photograph.

spacer.png

The classical haul from the same week - £2 the lot! This is what I listen to while I work, for the most part, so it's about 50% of my cd purchases these days. House clearance stalls tend to be a good source of these, for obvious reasons.

spacer.png

Interesting to see more 2000s folk revival stuff turning up now - as well as teh Bellowhead, I also left behind a copy of Bellow by Spiers & Boden on another stall, as I already have it. Me and the kids love the B-52s, but they give my wife a headache. Chuffed with the Iz, who I know from ukulele circles.

Looking for some inspiration...

What are people using to listen to their CDs?

My Denon RCD-M41 is a lovely little thing, but, as they all seem to be, isn't the most reliable of things, and the 'unsupported' issue which seems to hit most of them is becoming more common on mine, and I can't find a repair guide anywhere (it still plays the disc after I eject and reinsert, but google results are suggesting that might end at some point)

Basically, I'd like something fairly compact, with no need for an external amp probably to swap out for the Denon - or, other options!  

If there is a thread elsewhere, please point me there, not convinced the forum search likes 'cd'

42 minutes ago, Corranga said:

My Denon RCD-M41 is a lovely little thing, but, as they all seem to be, isn't the most reliable of things, and the 'unsupported' issue which seems to hit most of them is becoming more common on mine, and I can't find a repair guide anywhere (it still plays the disc after I eject and reinsert, but google results are suggesting that might end at some point)

Basically, I'd like something fairly compact, with no need for an external amp probably to swap out for the Denon - or, other options!  

If there is a thread elsewhere, please point me there, not convinced the forum search likes 'cd'

My previous streaming amp was a Denon Piccolo and it was flaky as anything, very unreliable. That's why I replaced it.

Denon unfortunately seem to be the leader in these types of unit - Do you want to avoid them or just that model? The RCD-M41 isn't very old, is it under warranty?

There's a similar sized Panasonic unit here:

https://www.richersounds.com/panasonic-sa-pmx802-black.html

Onkyo do systems like this:

https://eu.onkyo.com/en-GB/audio-hifi/audio-players/micro-systems/cs-n575d/p/156440

but they don't seem to be on sale anywhere for some reason.

What's your budget?

My Denon M41 downstairs is doing the same. My older Denon M40 upstairs hasn’t missed a beat, though.

While the M41 was still on sale last time I checked, it’s been on the market for ages, way beyond the lifespan of the previous DM units. I got mine fairly cheaply off eBay when I needed a second stereo during lockdown (moving the older Denon into my home office). I looked at brand new options, but they mostly seemed to be hybrid CD/streaming boxes that would probably be mostly obsolete in five years. 

A Twitter friend who had the same problem just got miniature DVD player to use as a transport, then plays music through the Denon’s optical-in. Not ideal, though.

TBH, I’d be tempted to get my M41 repaired by Denon UK once it finally carks it, if it’s not too prohibitively expensive. When my M40 finally dies I think I’ll get a proper separates system for upstairs, as I want a CD player that does gapless sequential playing when programmed, like the flagship Marantz units. 

2 hours ago, cubik said:

My previous streaming amp was a Denon Piccolo and it was flaky as anything, very unreliable. That's why I replaced it.

Denon unfortunately seem to be the leader in these types of unit - Do you want to avoid them or just that model? The RCD-M41 isn't very old, is it under warranty?

There's a similar sized Panasonic unit here:

https://www.richersounds.com/panasonic-sa-pmx802-black.html

Onkyo do systems like this:

https://eu.onkyo.com/en-GB/audio-hifi/audio-players/micro-systems/cs-n575d/p/156440

but they don't seem to be on sale anywhere for some reason.

What's your budget?

No budget as such, not planning to replace it until it dies really, but I had a look and discovered exactly what you have, and wondered if I was missing something, and, well I know what I’m like and will keep looking and looking until I have a plan or replace something that isn’t 100%!

Really frustrating as the DM41 is the perfect unit other than this. I’ve had it 4 years, the warranty was only 3 (it’s also already been in for a warranty repair too as it took a disc in and then the drive wouldn’t open again!)

7 hours ago, Corranga said:

What speakers do you have? Are they powered or passive? If powered then a personal CD player plugged into those is compact.

I have a few CD set-ups, none of them expensive, or new. A Marantz CD5400 as my main player on my hi-fi set-up. A Pioneer PD-4500 with a Chinese 'valve' headphone amp under my work desk at home. A Sony Discman D121 for listening around the house or garden.

I have a pair of Q Acoustic 3020i (so passive).  I think the answer is probably fix the Denon when it breaks, but in the back of my mind it’ll probably break again I guess.

On the other hand, I like the idea I of a diskman or similar for portability, mainly connection to my games room AVR surround sound and portable ‘Bluetooth’ (aux in) speaker for garden use albeit the latter probably doesn’t warrant the quality / streaming lossy is likely good enough and I do sample and upload to YouTube music for free streaming action 😂

On 19/04/2022 at 21:47, Alexlotl said:

Car boot season started again a few weeks ago; pickings have been good. Here's a selection from the last two weeks (ignore the price labels, haggling occurred).

spacer.png

Melon Collie is compressed to all hell, and Sugar Tax appears to be balls, but I'm pleased with the rest. Also picked up an unremastered 90s copy of Thriller, which I somehow neglected to photograph.

spacer.png

The classical haul from the same week - £2 the lot! This is what I listen to while I work, for the most part, so it's about 50% of my cd purchases these days. House clearance stalls tend to be a good source of these, for obvious reasons.

spacer.png

Interesting to see more 2000s folk revival stuff turning up now - as well as teh Bellowhead, I also left behind a copy of Bellow by Spiers & Boden on another stall, as I already have it. Me and the kids love the B-52s, but they give my wife a headache. Chuffed with the Iz, who I know from ukulele circles.

That Eels album is superb.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Decent haul at the car boot last weekend:

spacer.png

Something for all the family, although the Donna Summer features the 16 minute cut of Love To Love You Baby, and is emphatically not for the kids. Most were 50p, a few £1, two were £2 each. Graceland was 20p, which is why I decided to give it a chance despite wariness of Simon's 1980s ouevre; I then found Rhythm of the Saints about ten minutes later and figured why not. Both are early issues in nice heavy jewel cases.

I'm quite enjoying The White Stripes now I can just listen to the music without having to deal with their schtick and manufactured mystique, which I always found immensely tiresome.

This Manics album passed me by, having left in disgust when This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours came out. It's pretty good, even if it's a unashamed pastiche of their Holy Bible era style, complete with lyrics left behind by Richie Edwards. The glossy, wavy bollocks still shines through the meticulously applied dirt in places, though. Still, it's a keeper.

1 hour ago, Alexlotl said:

Decent haul at the car boot last weekend:

spacer.png

Something for all the family, although the Donna Summer features the 16 minute cut of Love To Love You Baby, and is emphatically not for the kids. Most were 50p, a few £1, two were £2 each. Graceland was 20p, which is why I decided to give it a chance despite wariness of Simon's 1980s ouevre; I then found Rhythm of the Saints about ten minutes later and figured why not. Both are early issues in nice heavy jewel cases.

I'm quite enjoying The White Stripes now I can just listen to the music without having to deal with their schtick and manufactured mystique, which I always found immensely tiresome.

This Manics album passed me by, having left in disgust when This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours came out. It's pretty good, even if it's a unashamed pastiche of their Holy Bible era style, complete with lyrics left behind by Richie Edwards. The glossy, wavy bollocks still shines through the meticulously applied dirt in places, though. Still, it's a keeper.

I haven't been to a car boot in ages; how are they for CDs? Are people still dumping their collections at them?

9 hours ago, Ste_S said:

I haven't been to a car boot in ages; how are they for CDs? Are people still dumping their collections at them?

Around here, great. Usually 50p or £1 per CD, from people who are just trying to dump their collection. House clearances can also be good, particularly if you’re into classical.

There are also a few traders who tend to price starting at £3, but are pretty open to haggling if you’re buying multiple items. I’ll buy more obscure stuff from them - jazz, folk, blues, early electronica. 

There are usually one or two other people I see on my rounds rifling the CD collections, while people are literally queuing to go through the vinyl. 

We were having a bit of a jubilee loft clear out yesterday and I found these from back in the cave man times before there was music on the internet.

rllmukcds.thumb.jpg.a764663be582b2bf9a4a2d16f610ee26.jpg

Part of the fun of the great cd exchange at the time was the mystery of not having a tracklist and just listening to the music with no preconceptions. Of course, now, 15 years on, it's a pain in the arse because there's some good tunes on these and I'm going to have to shazam them all to work them out now.

I've heard that there is a new album coming out - I'm wondering if local recycling centres have been primed for this?

spacer.png

(From my local CEX - I'm of course kicking myself that I left the Rod Stewart in there, but rest assured there was about another 20 RW CD's available to fill many slots here)

Just now, englishbob said:

24 bit digitally remastered CDs make excellent drinks coasters 

I’d have to disagree there. The guy who re-mastered Hotter Than July did an amazing job (I also own the original vinyl). Same with the re-master of What’s Going On he did. Super clear soundstage, both in the stereo aspect, and also in the definition from treble to bass.

Shame he hasn’t done a re-master of The Temptations- Psychedelic Shack and All Directions, another couple of my Motown faves.