rllmuk
mechamonkey

Sea of Thieves - Ashen Winds

A year later and I've still not gotten beyond the first Tall Tale.

ee-got-shame-bell.gif

Treasure hunter Level 50

Skulls - 47

Trade - 46

All the new add ons from the last 6 months tend to baffle me slightly. I've barely touched Arena. Still love the game when I get a chance to play it. Being chased down by others and killed needlessly does indeed suck but if you can enact revenge even in a kamikaze fashion or make a complete balls up of attempting to the game delivers the jollies. Mouse and keyboard using PC  crews take the fun out of encounters with their aim advantage but a good pirate never backs down and the game offers a wealth of opportunity for revenge tactics if you are willing and able to play the long game. 

9 hours ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Mouse and keyboard using PC  crews take the fun out of encounters with their aim advantage but a good pirate never backs down and the game offers a wealth of opportunity for revenge tactics if you are willing and able to play the long game. 

You can do xbox only (controller only) servers now.

I am itching to get back on this, not played properly since @Boothjanand I finished off the original Tall Tales, still not done the final (new) one either.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, mechamonkey said:

You can do xbox only (controller only) servers now.

I am itching to get back on this, not played properly since @Boothjanand I finished off the original Tall Tales, still not done the final (new) one either.

Hit me up if you see me online.

Trying to play this now and getting a "services are temporarily unavailable" msg when trying to play, anyone else experiencing this? 

Worth mentioning:

Twitch Drops

This event runs from Wednesday, June 3rd to Wednesday, June 17th 2020. During that time, tune in to one of Sea of Thieves’ Partners (who choose their own streaming times) each day to get your rewards. The reward on offer will change at 10am BST daily, so you’ll have a full 24 hours to tune in and receive each item.

All you need to do is sign up to Twitch Drops (you’ll need to have your game account linked to your Twitch account) and watch one of our Partners for at least 30 minutes or until they complete a Daily Bounty. Check the Sea of Thieves Twitch directory to find out which streamers are currently live and set up to offer Twitch Drops. Now fill your tankard with grog, put your peg legs up and settle in for some Sea of Thieves streaming!

Right I've had my eye on this for some time and downloaded it today as it's on Steam.

I imagine it's better with other players so would be good to meet up with some of you lot.

It's infinitely better with others! My stepdaughter wants to play this as some of her friends have gamepass so maybe that'll get me back on the seas? 

• Upvote 1

Can someone give me a basic overview of how this works with PvP/PvE?

Started a game last night with my brother and his wife and we pottered about the little islands where you start (does everybody start in the same place?) and didn't come across any other players. Are they there? Do more experienced players stay away, or are there actually few times that you stumble across others?

Also, what should we be doing? lol We started by getting voyages from the gold guild or whatever they are called, should we just continue on with that? 

Good fun so far, though we feel totally out of our depth. :lol: 

18 minutes ago, Danster said:

Can someone give me a basic overview of how this works with PvP/PvE?

Started a game last night with my brother and his wife and we pottered about the little islands where you start (does everybody start in the same place?) and didn't come across any other players. Are they there? Do more experienced players stay away, or are there actually few times that you stumble across others?

Also, what should we be doing? lol We started by getting voyages from the gold guild or whatever they are called, should we just continue on with that? 

Good fun so far, though we feel totally out of our depth. :lol: 

Have you done the maiden voyage (its on the main menu) it's a new tutorial.

Eurogamer recently did a guide too

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, mechamonkey said:

Have you done the maiden voyage (its on the main menu) it's a new tutorial.

Yep did that which was well handy. And there's another thing though. I did that and ended up with a Sloop at the starter outpost. Then brother started his game and started a galleon game and invited me and his mrs in, and he had 10,000 gold, whereas I only had 5... :(

1 minute ago, Danster said:

Yep did that which was well handy. And there's another thing though. I did that and ended up with a Sloop at the starter outpost. Then brother started his game and started a galleon game and invited me and his mrs in, and he had 10,000 gold, whereas I only had 5... :(

That could be because he bought a different edition with different starter bonuses, I shouldn't worry, 5k wont take you long to make, you have a lot of fun/misery/elation/despair and adventures ahead :)

• Upvote 1

This game is hilarious with mates. Accidentally eating bait with obvious results, running around like headless chickens during a storm and our ship sinking! Getting into a fight with a skeleton boat and running around like headless chickens and getting sunk (but taking them with us)!! Capturing a pig! :lol: Then all getting drunk playing musical instruments badly before throwing up everywhere and a dip in the sea. Amazing!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Doctor Shark said:

Top tip: puke into a bucket and you can throw it at people to blind them temporarily. 

Brilliant! I am so doing this to my brother when he's next at the wheel. hahahah

Had a nice day of leisurely sailing round on this, decided to finish off the Legends of the Sea  commendations which is just sailing round collecting information on 'famous' pirates that have odes to them in game. Really enjoyed it and got myself some sweet tattoos :) 

Playing this on game pass, no idea what I'm doing but it's utterly brilliant. The kind of game I imagined playing twenty five years ago as a child! 

• Upvote 1

Silly question. 

I have this on Gamepass on my Xbox. 

if I want to play it with my son on his PC does he just need a copy of the anniversary edition and to redeem that on his MS Store? 

I'm not sure I understand the question. Our group has a mix of players on Xbox, Steam and I play on Xbox or the Windows store version via Gamepass. As long as he has the game he'll be able to play with anyone else who has the game.

On 13/07/2020 at 20:33, SweatyTravolta said:

I'm not sure I understand the question. Our group has a mix of players on Xbox, Steam and I play on Xbox or the Windows store version via Gamepass. As long as he has the game he'll be able to play with anyone else who has the game.

All sorted now. It was a pretty stupid question. 

Played a cracking 3 player crew with mates tonight. Just dicked around. I take it the best way to ‘get back into it’ is just start the tall tales from a bar?

Played a few sessions of this in the last few days and really like it with 2 other regular crew members. A few questions...

Comms. We tend to use party chat. I know you can use the loudhailer you shout at people but is there a general etiquette for people to use in game chat rather than party chat?

There are 3 of us so we’ve been choosing the middle ship. Is there a massive advantage to choosing a galleon and leaving a 4th spot open for a random? 

Both sessions we have had other, much more skilled / organised players attack us and smash our teeth in. Is there a good tactic to avoid this if we’re just trying to do quests for now or is it just ‘part of the fun’? Is it just a case of keeping a good look-out and trying to outrun them?

I tend to use the middle ship for evasiveness and have someone on lookout for other ships anytime you sail so you can dodge them. 

Seems like most other players have been playing ages so just wreck you 

On 15/07/2020 at 00:24, Yiggy said:

All sorted now. It was a pretty stupid question. 

Played a cracking 3 player crew with mates tonight. Just dicked around. I take it the best way to ‘get back into it’ is just start the tall tales from a bar?

Best way of getting back into it is probably just grabbing a mission from one of the factions and heading out, which will get you used to the sailing, the combat, the exploration again. Once you're settled grab a tall tale.

1 hour ago, Yiggy said:

Played a few sessions of this in the last few days and really like it with 2 other regular crew members. A few questions...

Comms. We tend to use party chat. I know you can use the loudhailer you shout at people but is there a general etiquette for people to use in game chat rather than party chat?

There are 3 of us so we’ve been choosing the middle ship. Is there a massive advantage to choosing a galleon and leaving a 4th spot open for a random? 

Both sessions we have had other, much more skilled / organised players attack us and smash our teeth in. Is there a good tactic to avoid this if we’re just trying to do quests for now or is it just ‘part of the fun’? Is it just a case of keeping a good look-out and trying to outrun them?

I always used party chat.

There is no advantage of choosing the larger ship with three people - you're actually making life harder for yourself as doing everything with 3 would be tough. You can leave a spot open for a random, but likely you'd get some squalling landlubber who'd probably shoot the cannon into your own deck.

Best tactic to avoid it is to avoid it. As you said, a lookout and trying to outrun is probably your best bet. If you're on a smaller ship, sail into the wind; galleons are slowest of all so going into the wind will give you a speed and maneuverability advantage. And be content with the fact you can't always avoid it, you will lose everything on more than one occasion which, if you've been on a hour+ long voyage, is massively frustrating, but that's the game.

Party chat is better for sneakyness but open chat is better for the luls.

It's pretty annoying that you have to choose on console but on PC you can be in a party (or discord or whatever) and if you set a push to talk key in settings you can speak "in game" so you can talk to people by using press to talk but secretly be plotting to blow them up in party chat, massive PC adventage, thank goodness for controller only servers.