Sea of Thieves - Season 4 23.09.21 - Club in first post

mechamonkey

26 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

That was supposed to be Boozy?  I thought you were talking Dutch!

:lol: Thankfully not!

Scottish and Dutch are very closely related though!

Started playing this tonight, and it immediately grabbed me. 

I set off solo, after the Maiden Voyage, and spent roughly about three hours just doing the first Hoarders quest. 

My first obstacle came when I simply couldn't find the treasure map island for the life of me on the world map. The game got tired of this and named it for me, and then I realised the island I had been searching for was immediatey north. 

So I set off, with the wind at my back. And then at my side. And then at my front. As basically a short journey due north turned into me doing several figures of eight en route. I didn't realise for a while I was oversteering the ship and leaving the wheel hard left or right when I was running downstairs to check the map. I had several encounters where I used a nearby rock to stop the ship. At one point I was almost on the verge of sinking. 

I got to my treasure easily enough and dug it up. I had a crew mate join and then grabbed the wheel. My short return to the outpost turned into my vessel being commandeered and I immediately feared for my life. I've heard of hijackings at sea and I was being Captain Phillips'd. We sailed right past the outpost into the blue yonder, and all I could do was nervously eye my precious bounty and two treasure chests (my sole belongings in this strange world) and utter "No!" and "I'll deliver!" in the in-game chat.  

My newfound crewmate/tormentor despite being a "Pirate Legend", also seemed to have developed the knack for using a rock to stop, and we crashed into a tiny island with one store on it. I used this opportunity to flee, grabbing my skull and one chest, and desperately pleading with the isolated storekeeper to take my booty (he didn't). In the meantime my crewmate had started sailing off, but upon hearing my pathetic cries ("No!", "I'll Deliver!") he also bailed. But this time no rocks were around to helpfully bring the ship to a halt, and we both saw it plough ahead into the distance and out of sight. He helpfully told me "The Ship Has Sunk", which to be quite frank, wasn't an accurate apportioning of blame. 

My loot was on a rickety pier, on an island where it was unwanted by the local shop. I had to leave it there and jump in the sea, where a willing mermaid was offering to help me. Having already been burned and suffering from trust issues, I thought it might turn out to be a siren and I'd ended up buggered yet again. 

Thankfully I didn't respawn that far away, and could remember where my loot was. I expected it to despawn once I got a new ship but lo and behold it was still waiting for me on the pier. By now I was getting anxious, so with my new found sailing skills (i.e. I could turn left and right when needed) I raced back to the Golden Outpost with treasure worth literally tens of pounds. 

I got there in time, collected my booty and with doubloon signs in my eyes went out in search of a riddle, with another random crewmate in tow. But I've had too much grog so that's a tale for another night. 

So yeah, I can see what Rare meant when they said they were looking at being very hands-off with the game and letting players create their own stories. I was messaging a group of friends with live updates of my voyage, and it's definitely a case of "and then this unexpected shit happens" repeatedly and unexpectedly happening.

It was quite a brutal opening (I imagine more so before the tutorial was added) but crucially the unplanned chaos was always on the right side of inconvenient-but-fun rather than frustrating. The unpredictable violence or haphazard crewmates add to the pirate theme brilliant, and it's fitting that you're always teetering on the edge of failure or success, of riches or of losing it all at sea, of a violent or ignoble death. It feels like a player-led MMO, rather than developer or content-led.

I love Destiny but you're going through content and hoops created by Bungie. You're doing a carefully crafted raid, or blasting through strikes with a set rhythm.  Here, a lot of what was happening was the result of a players actions - be it through my own mistakes and being a shit pirate, or through someone else interfering maliciously or otherwise. 

I can see some problems with this approach. The always-online, always-PVP will bother some (it doesn't bother me, I like the constant danger and fear of another ship on the horizon) and the horizontal, cosmetic-only progression has admirable, logical aims, but I wonder how long it'll keep my interest with the lack of powerful carrots dangling from sticks. In Destiny, cosmetics and how I look doesn't really interest me, but I go chasing powerful guns. Here, I wonder if different coloured clothes and guns will keep me interested. The lure of loot is enticing now, but I'm not sure I have an end goal for that loot yet. I know there are now story quests and the like, mind, so I'm not thinking short term, more I wonder what my long term drive will be. 

And ultimately, it was really fun solo. But as I was messaging a few friends (interested in the game but either lacking the means to play it or hesitant to jump on board), I was wishing this calamity of errors, these first tentative, often-faltering footsteps into the world, were shared with a group of friends, mic'd up and on the same boat, rather than through my phone. 

Still, the world seems a mix of the heinous and the helpful, so I do look forward to the random encounters.  

4 minutes ago, carlospie said:

My only issue is you often play and get nothing for it. E.g. last night I had an hour, we found ten chests but I had to come off before we could hand them in. So I got nothing for it!

I don't mind that though, as as far as I can tell the only thing to spend money on is cosmetics. I've not played it much, but I have a much better time arsing around with a crew off here even if it means getting nothing, than I do sailing on my own making coin.

I play for the banter, enjoying the amazing visuals, the co-op nature of the gameplay and wondering what kind of black magic was used to prevent the waves from clipping through the hull of your ship.

Seriously, how do they prevent the waves from clipping through the hull of your ship?

How?!

Also I did log on last night, but I'm not sure I have the time allocation during the weeknights to play this unfortunately. It's a pity, because I'd love to do some more sailing, but if I had to leave suddenly everyone would be stuck with a ship too large for the crew.

35 minutes ago, carlospie said:

My only issue is you often play and get nothing for it. E.g. last night I had an hour, we found ten chests but I had to come off before we could hand them in. So I got nothing for it!

At least you now get some renown by going to islands, finding chests/skulls etc, putting loot on your ship etc etc so you aren't left completely empty handed if you don't manage to cash in.

I think that's an ace feature.

55 minutes ago, carlospie said:

That's the game. All the money you earn adds nothing to the gameplay. It's genius.

59 minutes ago, carlospie said:

This was one of the perceived problems people had with it originally. I think those that play either don't care (me) or have gotten used to it now as per @Meers comments above. 

We are very conditioned to feel that a sense of progression in a game is the norm and that we have to bettering our character, our stats, our environment etc to prove that we're getting more powerful. The ethos in SOT is the total opposite.  However the latest seasons update should hopefully tick that box for people because who doesn't like that little hit of seeing a deed getting unlocked. To be fair though that stuff was always there with the commendations and the reputation system. Seasons just presents it a simpler more easy to digest fashion. 

Had an amazing treasure run last night making about 80,000 gold and getting to a 5* emissary rating. Had to log off before trying to 5* quests though. 

Question - We did a vault and I was working on the puzzle. I found the 3 medallions and set the first 3 pillars to the corresponding symbols. Then set the last pillar to the combination of the 3 pillar symbols, then pressed the solve button but it didn't seem to reveal the chest? I'm not missing a step am I? I assume its just glitched? All I can think of is that one of my crew hit the solve button early on by mistake. I wonder if that locks it out. 

10 minutes ago, ravon said:

Make sure the last pillar is exactly made up of the other 3 pillars... The lock and key can be upside down and the chains can be horizontal or vertical... 

Oh God. I knew about the chains but now I’m wondering if I had the lock and key the right way round. :doh:

Just played through the opening maiden voyage part. At a town now. Had to turn off and get back to work though. 

I really want to get into this. :)

4 hours ago, carlospie said:

All they need to do is add a player economy and pirate clans, and Sea of Thieves is the new Eve Online.

1 minute ago, spanx said:

Noticed this is on Game Pass PC too. Does it do cross play with Xbox? I’m sort of intrigued to play it with some other simpletons who are shit at online games. 

Yes you can cross play, and limit servers to controllers only. In the old days PC users would obliterate xbox players, then they also added M&K support to console and finally have added the option of controller only.

I’m so amazed at the art in this game. It’s stupid. #nofilter

91E004A0-7EC3-44C7-ADD2-B2BAC652A349.png

Did the new merchant quest type a go tonight. Great fun and the loot managed to raise a couple of rep grades in one fell swoop. So much bette than catching chickens. 

Yeah I like the new merchant voyage - I was genuinely shocked when I saw how much loot was in the captain's quarters!!

And talking of sexy screenshots, I've got loads of beautiful images from yesteryear.  Will post some.

9 hours ago, Yiggy said:

Did the new merchant quest type a go tonight. Great fun and the loot managed to raise a couple of rep grades in one fell swoop. So much bette than catching chickens. 

Do you get those from the usual place? I've just reached lvl 25 with the Merchant Alliance and I think I noticed a new voyage appear (i.e not animal catching or supply runs).

1 minute ago, Pob said:

Do you get those from the usual place? I've just reached lvl 25 with the Merchant Alliance and I think I noticed a new voyage appear (i.e not animal catching or supply runs).

You get them from Larinna outside the taverns - check her inventory, she'll have the voyage in there.

• mechamonkey changed the title to Sea of Thieves - Season 4 23.09.21 - Club in first post