Sea of Thieves - Season 4 23.09.21 - Club in first post

mechamonkey

Did the first new one. 

Spoiler

Quite enjoyable and it seems like there might be quite a few secrets to find in there. Reminded me a bit of the maiden voyage and I loved the music.

I assume it was meant to feel like a bit of a theme park ride based on the source material!

I think its quite clever how they have curtained it off and you have the option of jumping straight into that bit as well. Clearly they are trying to entice new players. 

I think thats the Easter Egg referred to in the preview video.

Played a little of it last night and was fairly taken with it. The music and colour palette standing out as feeling new. The screen tearing in the beginning we both got on SX was a little jarring. 

It's just dawned on me that the mystery new building that appeared unbuilt on the outposts was the new start point for this. So its been hinted at for months. Those cheeky Rare guys.

12 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

I think thats the Easter Egg referred to in the preview video.

Played a little of it last night and was fairly taken with it. The music and colour palette standing out as feeling new. The screen tearing in the beginning we both got on SX was a little jarring. 

re: MI

Spoiler

Pretty sure Disney own the franchise.
This book is one of 5 found in a secret area after you complete another puzzle, its very clear Monkey Island is tied in, won't say any more.

Played the tall Tale first time on PC (easier to skive work sorry....) but replayed it last night to thoughrally rinse it, went to bed at 1:45am took quite a while to solve the lot! 
I played it on Series X the second time, wow what a difference, it looked utterly incredible, so much more alive, the colours were bursting from the screen! 
Didnt get any tear on the X so hope its not a hardware thing :(

Re Secrets in the first new tall tale. 

I didn’t look but are there deeds related to it that list them all? I think I got one book on my first run through but clearly wasn’t paying enough attention to spot any others. 

Just now, Yiggy said:

Re Secrets in the first new tall tale. 

I didn’t look but are there deeds related to it that list them all? I think I got one book on my first run through but clearly wasn’t paying enough attention to spot any others. 

If you look in the Pirate Log - Reputation - Tall Tales - then choose the one you're on you can see all the commendations that are available for it with non spoilery descriptions.

All okay on PC. Seems odd as tearing is normally an engine thing? I’m sure they’ll sort it. Might head back in tonight to find some secrets. 

Will hold off on PL Tall Tale 2 as apparently it’s got some bugs in it that need ironing out. 

2 hours ago, Yiggy said:

All okay on PC. Seems odd as tearing is normally an engine thing? I’m sure they’ll sort it. Might head back in tonight to find some secrets. 

Will hold off on PL Tall Tale 2 as apparently it’s got some bugs in it that need ironing out. 

a couple of friends that tried it have warned dont even attempt #2 if theres other players in the vicinity (It's not instanced apparently and causes knock on effects) 

#2 is absolutely bugged as hell, no made it though it yet as it's locked me out of places and all sorts.
It is also not instanced so another crew there makes for a very bad time, they didnt really think this one through which is a shame after the amazing first episode.

I can live with mopping up the goodies from the first one for now. 

Im sure they will sort it soon. 

What’s the deal with the new baddies cropping up elsewhere in the regular game? The crab people etc. I heard it was a thing but wasn’t sure if it was a think for the future. 

My nephew is convinced that (spoiler PoTC adjacent but not PoTC. It's actually a different....thing and I can't tell you more as it'd spoil it so forewarned ye be)

Spoiler

That Monkey Island is going to be crossed over at some point. Apparently there are Easter eggs regarding Guybrush making it to the Sea of Thieves, plus achievement names.

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

My nephew is convinced that (spoiler PoTC adjacent but not PoTC. It's actually a different....thing and I can't tell you more as it'd spoil it so forewarned ye be)

Hide contents

That Monkey Island is going to be crossed over at some point. Apparently there are Easter eggs regarding Guybrush making it to the Sea of Thieves, plus achievement names.

Spoiler

Yes there is a whole (small) section in adventure 1 related to it, just journals and music but it's definately going to happen I'd say 

I'm loving the single player tall tales. I hope they branch off and make a whole single player. It's buggy as fuck though. Plus Time consuming. If you get to a certain point then have to turn if off, it's going to take you twenty minutes just to get back. I'm finding this on the second mission I must have sailed to jack boat five times already, each voyage taking me 25 minutes.

Love it though and the tearing is gone!

Played this last night as a trio of noobs.  Ive only every played a few hours of this in the past and never really liked it.

The Tall Tale first episode is OK overall.  I still have the exact same feeling of disconnect in this game.  The combat feels completely lifeless.  Using the sword and weapons feel like they have no actual impact on the enemies, they dont react or feel any impact. 

I generally dont like games that hand hold too much but at the start it would be nice to have a vague guide to at least point you in the fright direction of how to start it (talk to yer woman, get on the boat and sail etc)

Overall i enjoyed the story and those seas are might impressive to sail on. Dont know if id bother with the next episode.

12 minutes ago, fattakin said:

I generally dont like games that hand hold too much but at the start it would be nice to have a vague guide to at least point you in the fright direction of how to start it (talk to yer woman, get on the boat and sail etc)

There's a Tall Tale called 'Maiden Voyage' which is a brief tutorial - that might help.

I did the last 2 Tall Tales pre-PotC the other night - pretty cool, except that travelling solo in the Devil's Roar is such a pain the arse.  Repairing damage from volcanoes whilst trying to sail to a location is really annoying.  Even more so when you're on an island and you know your ship is getting battered and is unattended!

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any resolution to the horrible screen tearing on the Series X version of this? My daughter is currently playing the PoTC content and the screen tearing is horrendous. It's running at 4k HDR and it's connected to a LG B6 OLED. I have thought it would have able to run at a locked 60 fps on the Series X?

1 hour ago, carlospie said:

It didn't used to be like that it's the new patch. And it's horrible.

Darn. I'm going to see if forcing the X to be in just 1080p mode helps. 

I've just loaded mine up on the X to check, I don't get tearing at all 4k 60Hz, 10Bit HDR monitor (BenQ) and TV (older LG OLED) both fine.
Here's a Twitter post showing someone else getting it. I wonder if it's related to HDR bits or something? 

• mechamonkey changed the title to Sea of Thieves - Season 4 23.09.21 - Club in first post