It’s absolutely incredible how much care and attention are given to some assets - but they are totally wasted.

I sailed into Thieves Haven, a huge island with a central cave complete with wrecked galleon inside. It’s obviously a homage to the scene of  One-Eyed-Willie’s pirate ship from the Goonies. I read that the team watched the film at start of development as a tone piece.

Ingame, it’s gorgeous; the wrecked ship sits half wrecked and sunken in the cave , waterfalls cascade down, candles flicker in habitable caves in the walls, there’s cave paintings intimating that there were visitors here before. A (non functioning) pulley system is at the top the cliff etc.

But it’s almost completely devoid of life as if the interactive stuff has been wiped from the scene. All you can do is collect bananas, cannonballs and planks from static crates. Stuff you can do in the first few minutes of the game.

I climbed the cliffs and explored the caves. All I found was a box of silks on the wreck and a goblet worth 75g on the beach. Even the solitary shark swimming around in the water near the wreck looked bored and hungry. The island was lifeless,.

Where’s the sense of wonder, danger and discovery you’d associate with being a pirate. You shouldn’t be wandering around a beautifully created world like this with nothing to do. 

Currently they are banking on the journey being the engaging thing rather than the destination. But when your journey turns out to be the same repetive haul, and the grog jokes, and accordian aren’t funny anymore, you’re left with this beautifully modelled and rendered museum piece of pirate life. I wish the game really lived up to its hashtag #bemorepirate.

Great story @Sie, makes we want to get stuck back in for some PVP. I put it on last night for a quick chill out and got a surprising amount of pleasure from just playing a plaintive tune on that organ thing up in the crow’s nest as the sun went down. 

10 minutes ago, macosx said:

It’s absolutely incredible how much care and attention are given to some assets - but they are totally wasted.

I sailed into Thieves Haven, a huge island with a central cave complete with wrecked galleon inside. It’s obviously a homage to the scene of  One-Eyed-Willie’s pirate ship from the Goonies. I read that the team watched the film at start of development as a tone piece.

Ingame, it’s gorgeous; the wrecked ship sits half wrecked and sunken in the cave , waterfalls cascade down, candles flicker in habitable caves in the walls, there’s cave paintings intimating that there were visitors here before. A (non functioning) pulley system is at the top the cliff etc.

But it’s almost completely devoid of life as if the interactive stuff has been wiped from the scene. All you can do is collect bananas, cannonballs and planks from static crates. Stuff you can do in the first few minutes of the game.

I climbed the cliffs and explored the caves. All I found was a box of silks on the wreck and a goblet worth 75g on the beach. Even the solitary shark swimming around in the water near the wreck looked bored and hungry. The island was lifeless,.

Where’s the sense of wonder, danger and discovery you’d associate with being a pirate. You shouldn’t be wandering around a beautifully created world like this with nothing to do. 

Currently they are banking on the journey being the engaging thing rather than the destination. But when your journey turns out to be the same repetive haul, and the grog jokes, and accordian aren’t funny anymore, you’re left with this beautifully modelled and rendered museum piece of pirate life. I wish the game really lived up to its hashtag #bemorepirate.

I stumbled upon an uncharted Island yesterday and decided to take a look. Below the waterline was filled with fish, corals, ancient statues and a shipwreck. Swimming around the wreck led to an underwater tunnel and eventually, after losing a bit of health, through to a hidden cave. All that was there were the remains of a pirate and his trusty parrot... I don't know whether to be disappointed that there wasn't something more there or to be excited about how these places are going to be used in future quests or live events. 

Very true @macosx. It's like wandering around a film set that has been shut down.

I found a proper pirate hideout by chance with @Nicky a few nights ago. We had to swim down an incredibly long underwater tunnel to get to it. And there was fuck all there. Lots of set dressing so it looked the part but nothing to interact with or collect.

Edit: Oh snap!

11 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

Or one that hasn't started shooting yet.....? #glasshalffull 

This is it. The works is so set up for stuff to start spawning and objectives to be set. Not because the game isn’t fun because it is but because the sets are already there and it would be amazing if they were to start getting used. 

23 hours ago, Strafe said:

I suppose given that the engine was already built, there isn't really anything in the way of stuff to do or story and the art style can't have taken longer than 5 minutes you do have to wonder how much coke those guys at Rare were getting through during development.

4 rare Employees on Rllmuk!

2 hours ago, linkster said:

There is simply no precedent for a first party game to ‘recover’ in this way. 

Kinda like Brexit - fucking disaster but exciting to see what happens now 

Driveclub. Which was in a far worse state at launch.

1 hour ago, Boothjan said:

Here's our standoff with another galleon by one of the forts. Not my video but luckily a crewmate managed to capture it! I was too busy manning the cannons. 

How utterly incredible is that. Brilliant. 

THATS the sort of stuff that makes this excel for me. To hell with the lack of checkboxes. 

23 minutes ago, footle said:

Driveclub. Which was in a far worse state at launch.

Totally opposite comparisons. Driveclub had a full feature complete Single player at launch with a totally and utterly broken online element. 

This has a seemless multiplayer experience from day one but is incredibly feature light as a single player game.

I remember back in the 8 bit days (and probably beyond) when games were lacking in content so you’d make up your own narrative or challenges to get more out of a very slim offering.

Same with Sea of Thieves, you have to make your own stuff up to do. Which is sort of cool but also...no.

Just now, Strafe said:

I remember back in the 8 bit days (and probably beyond) when games were lacking in content so you’d make up your own narrative or challenges to get more out of a very slim offering.

Same with Sea of Thieves, you have to make your own stuff up to do. Which is sort of cool but also...no.

Isnt it the case that when it first started development that had it as more of an RPG with a a GM in the group who controlled a lot of the action? Which they dropped. If so maybe that’s where it comes from. Those who are happy and willing to put in the effort to come up with a narrative at the moment are getting on better than those who aren’t? Maybe. 

1 minute ago, Strafe said:

Thats where the No Mans Sky comparisons seem the most accurate to me.

I think a lot of the disappointment from this has come from people building up there own expectations of what swashbuckling adventures they can get up to only to find a lack of features/variety limits what's possible, leaving people to have to make their own fun from what's actually there.

NMS had the same problems and is only now reaching its true potential.

8 minutes ago, rubberducker said:

hmmmmmm.... Id say that is pretty much spot on. Now the Kinect is dead what else is their for Rare to do?

If they do support it, they’ll need a fraction of the staff it took to make it, so the team will need another project. All depends how strong the teams profile is back in Redmond. I don’t think MS is really interested in owning studios these days.

55 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

How utterly incredible is that. Brilliant. 

THATS the sort of stuff that makes this excel for me. To hell with the lack of checkboxes. 

Yeah I agree - it's a shame the voice chat isn't picked up on game clips because that's half of the fun. A mixture of pirate noises, coordinated attack plans, laughing and coarse language.

Mainly coarse language in this case.

Joined a guy in a sloop for a while, he already had a slight hoard but by the end we had all sorts. No chat but he could hear me (I think) and we got stuff done, a few of the cryptic clues stumped us but got there in the end. Surprised we didn't get all our stuff nicked or that the boat didn't sink under weight of barrels and chests but we only saw one other player - who I said hello to and we got on and then my teammate shot the guy which led to a bit of a chase in the boats once he respawned. Beyond that, we only saw one other sloop moored up near the end and we went round the back of the island in a more cautious approach and didn't see a soul. The framework is great and it is fun, but I do feel I've a seen a majority of what's on offer after just a couple of sessions. 

34 minutes ago, ronin said:

When people refer to the Kraken encounter, they seem to think thats it? I thought these 'Tentacles of Kraken' were supposed to be an early taste of this boss fight, kind of like how Blizzard rolls out their campaign bosses in several phases.

That's what people are grasping at but I suspect occam's razor here. What we see if all that's currently in the game. I wasn't aware Blizzard roll out WoW bosses in phases either. Raid sections certainly but bosses tend to come out fully formed.

3 hours ago, U-1 said:

Totally opposite comparisons. Driveclub had a full feature complete Single player at launch with a totally and utterly broken online element. 

This has a seemless multiplayer experience from day one but is incredibly feature light as a single player game.

This has never been marketed as a single player game*, whereas driveclub was marketed around the idea of “clubs”. Which didn’t work.

the “detailed locations” - having played a bit more today, they’re probably just locations that gold hoarders/bottle quests will take you to, at which point they’ll be a little bit (though not much) more alive. 

* people might want a single player game, and it might allow you to play on hard mode, but that’s a different thing.

1 hour ago, ronin said:

When people refer to the Kraken encounter, they seem to think thats it? I thought these 'Tentacles of Kraken' were supposed to be an early taste of this boss fight, kind of like how Blizzard rolls out their campaign bosses in several phases.

We went through every cannonball we had on board, so if they added more phases it’d not end well.

1 hour ago, Flub said:

That's what people are grasping at but I suspect occam's razor here. What we see if all that's currently in the game. I wasn't aware Blizzard roll out WoW bosses in phases either. Raid sections certainly but bosses tend to come out fully formed.

Thats what I meant, poor choice of words.

It would be incredibly disappointing if that was all there is to the Kraken fight.

On 24/03/2018 at 00:20, kanedaa said:

On Xbox it doesn't matter how the game is installed - it's all the same thing (so for example you can install from a disc you've borrowed if you have crap internet, then buy a digital license and you won't need the disc anymore and no need to delete/reinstall anything). It's just the license type that differs - digital (tied to the account) or disc (tied to the disc). A digital license can be shared and therefore used by the owner + 1 other account at the same time using the home console/family sharing feature, but this is limited on PC where only the account that purchased the game (or has an active game pass sub) can play the game on PC. You can still share the game , but the license owner must play on the PC.

In your scenario as I understand it that's the issue, and there's no workaround that I'm aware of. Unfortunately you either settle with letting your son have the 4K TV or buy a digital license on his account so he can play on the PC. Or you play on his account and vice versa? Not ideal but saves buying another copy of the game.

thankyou I didn't have to pay for a full copy thanks to your advice.

The way it works for me (and others)

1) I am the XBOX live owner and I purchased Gamepass

2) My Xbox One is regarded as my HOME xbox

3) My son signed into my Xbox One and I had to sign out (very important if you are signed in it won't let you play on both Xbox One and PC

4) I am signed onto my PC

5) Start game on both and one invites the other

6) Profit

Basically step 3 is crucial - if I am signed in on XBOX One at all then i cannot start the game on PC as it says it is in use. If I am signed out of the Xbox one then I can play on PC alongside him. The reason it tripped us up is the Xbox One auto signs me in on startup so we have to explicitly tell it to sign me out.

And we are both really enjoying the game - much silliness

58 minutes ago, Clipper said:

thankyou I didn't have to pay for a full copy thanks to your advice.

The way it works for me (and others)

1) I am the XBOX live owner and I purchased Gamepass

2) My Xbox One is regarded as my HOME xbox

3) My son signed into my Xbox One and I had to sign out (very important if you are signed in it won't let you play on both Xbox One and PC

4) I am signed onto my PC

5) Start game on both and one invites the other

6) Profit

Basically step 3 is crucial - if I am signed in on XBOX One at all then i cannot start the game on PC as it says it is in use. If I am signed out of the Xbox one then I can play on PC alongside him. The reason it tripped us up is the Xbox One auto signs me in on startup so we have to explicitly tell it to sign me out.

And we are both really enjoying the game - much silliness

Exactly what I had and the exact solution I used. I bought an Xbox disc copy needlessly but will get rid. 

I would keep it IF I could work out a way to get the Xbox to boot (and use the license) from the physical copy rather than the Gamepass. Can’t seem to do that though.