Sea of Thieves

mechamonkey

Can anyone quickly summarise how crossplay works between Steam and Xbox? 

I’ve googled but a bit confused about whether you just sign in with an Xbox account and it’s good to go, or there’s some companion app related stuff. 

I’ll be on Xbox but need to give my PC friend the most simple instructions imaginable. 

• 3 weeks later...

Had an amazing session in a sloop last night. We...

• Set sail on a merchant ship search. Found the key. Found the manifest but the ship had gone!
  • Grabbed another merchant ship search. On the way to the wreck defeated a Kraken. 
  • Found the wreck and just as started unloading got attacked by a Megaladon. Smashed it's teeth in.
  • Unloaded the ship and right at the end got attacked by another Megaladon. Smashed it's teeth in. Had some very entertaining glitching on this one where it was stuck on the side of the ship so I could cannon it mercilessly. 
  • Got up to 5 stars emmisary level (About half way through unloading the ship)
  • Cashed in and took on and completed the emissary mega quests. 

It was the most fun and productive session I've had in ages! In contrast to our morning session where we went 5 stars on a gold hoarders emissary quest and got smashed in my reapers when we totally took our eye off the ball and lost everything!

Also at Level 98 for the season now so am pleased to be hitting 100 and ready for Season 2. 

I bloody LOVE this game. 

On 24/03/2021 at 18:48, StephenM said:

Can anyone quickly summarise how crossplay works between Steam and Xbox? 

I’ve googled but a bit confused about whether you just sign in with an Xbox account and it’s good to go, or there’s some companion app related stuff. 

I’ll be on Xbox but need to give my PC friend the most simple instructions imaginable. 

I think there is a process that links your Xbox app with your steam account. It should do that when you first launch the game from Steam. I think you have to have the Xbox App running in the background. It should be pretty straight forward. 

The alternative is he just subs to gamepass and does it though that but I have a few PC user friends who seem very stuck on using Steam and wont consider any other option!

I see Season 2 has teased, amongst other things, a hiding in a barrel mechanic, which could be great fun if implemented well. 

I think for their first season it’s gone pretty well. They will keep developing it and a new mechanic each season will be nice as a way to keep evolving it. 

Finally managed the hoarding 20 chests achievement tonight AND hit 100 to get some nice blue sails. Happy days. 

EC8FF530-5D9D-4624-BA29-82EA8472BB86.png

A2C0B79E-FC44-427F-8EAB-A77247E86ACE.png

Is it possible to play this offline? I think my kids would love the pirate theme but I don't want to risk potty mouths online or getting trampled on as they learn the ropes (they are 4 and 6 years old).  If there is a way to sail around on your own that would be perfect

9 minutes ago, tobert said:

Is it possible to play this offline? I think my kids would love the pirate theme but I don't want to risk potty mouths online or getting trampled on as they learn the ropes (they are 4 and 6 years old).  If there is a way to sail around on your own that would be perfect

You can have a private ship so nobody else can jump into your crew. 

The world is permanently online though and you will encounter other players many of which will try to blow you out the water and steal your loot. 

You can switch game voice chat off to remove potty mouths and to be honest there isn’t tons of it anyway and none if you stay in party chat. 

The PVP stuff is impossible to avoid completely but if you work on a tactic of avoidance and steering away from others then you can mostly keep out of trouble. Having gotten my own kids into it I would suggest letting them know quite early that mean pirates (Yarrrrr!) might come and try to steal your loot (The Meanies!) but that it’s all in the spirit of the game. It’s Sea of Thieves, not Sea of Friends etc. 

A good tactic for avoidance whilst they get used to it is staying doing low level gold and souls runs on local islands where you can cash in chests and skulls quickly with minimal risk. 

My son started at 10 and my daughter at 7 and they are both fully fledged crew members now. 

My main problem with this is that, when I fancy a dabble, it can't be depended on to load correctly, instead giving me the "Searching the Seas" screen and never finding anything. It's pretty disheartening and just pushes me to play Destiny or something else. 

Wonder if it's due to my location (Japan) and it struggling to connect to the two other Xbox owners here. 

My main problem with it is it’s not a game you can have “just a quick go” on. You have to have the time to sit down and invest at least an hour to get anything done, more if you want do anything meaningful, but if you do manage to find the time oh boy, is it something special. 

I was super excited for this before it launched but felt pretty let down by it at first. It wasn’t until a few months later - after the meg and ghost ship updates, in fact, that I gave it another try. My second son had just been born and that would often mean late nights sitting up with him asleep on me and I’d just play this until the early hours. It was magical and brings back fond memories. Then I started playing alongside @Boothjan and @mechamonkey and that’s when I fell in love with the game. Sadly newborns don’t always play by the rules and it suddenly became very difficult for me to sit down and put time in to sea of thieves. I always meant to get back into it. 

C77B110B-D343-49DA-BFAB-4F1AE8D405A8.thumb.jpeg.3887b28019c765d5e3566d0a1a09a298.jpeg

Suffice to say I like the game a lot! 

Had a good few hours on season 2 this afternoon. Love the barrel emote. 

Most of the deeds are the same but I like the elite style merchant trading stuff and it seems like a decent amount of stuff added. They’ve done a lot of work with the merchants to make them not shit any more. 

I can see another 100 hours easily going into this over the next 3 months. 

Played a little more of this earlier in the week. It’s such a catch 22 — love how random interactions with other pirates add flavour/fun stories, but could do without a step on a tall tale being interrupted like 3 times in a row by randoms!

• 4 weeks later...

I hit pirate legend today. Felt really good fun getting into the secret pub. Real Goonies vibe. 

About 300 hours of play according to my stats but that’s doing pretty random stuff since launch. 

Im the only PL from my regular crew. The new Athena voyages which seem to have a bit of everything seem cool. I take it my whole crew can do them even though they’re not PL’s? Any tips on how to have fun with them or is it more of the same and getting the ghost ship bits etc? 

47 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

Yeah the rest of your crew can do Athena voyages, even though it's only you who can buy them. You'll be able to level up all the different factions - it'll help them level up quicker as a result. 

Awesome. So the items from the quests get sold to their appropriate factions rather than to the ghost captain? 

2 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

Awesome. So the items from the quests get sold to their appropriate factions rather than to the ghost captain? 

Yep. An Athena voyage is a mixture of gold hoarders, order of souls and merchants which you hand in as usual.

Once you've done all of that, you get a new treasure map where you find the Athena chest - and that's the one you hand in to the Mysterious Stranger at the outposts. And its worth 5,000 gold (more in the Devil's Roar).

Even if your crewmates aren't legends, the Athena chest still gives them XP for the Athena's Fortune faction.

9 minutes ago, SweatyTravolta said:

Where are you seeing this information? I've never been able to find a time played stat. I almost don't want to at this point. 

From the dash, select the game with start and goto Official Club. Then Progress.

13 minutes ago, Mr Do 71 said:

From the dash, select the game with start and goto Official Club. Then Progress.

Amazing. When did they add that then? The community have been asking for that to be surfaced somewhere for ages. I used to check periodically. In fact I'm sure I tried checking that page a few months ago and there was nothing. 

47 minutes ago, SweatyTravolta said:

Amazing. When did they add that then? The community have been asking for that to be surfaced somewhere for ages. I used to check periodically. In fact I'm sure I tried checking that page a few months ago and there was nothing. 

Yeah. I think it’s newish as well. Though obviously they’ve been collecting the info the whole time. 

• 4 weeks later...