Horizon Zero Dawn

11 hours ago, Coltrane said:

Yeah I really don't understand how they label it as a Level 8 dungeon when they stick a Level 18 boss at the end! I got stuck there last night and had to load an earlier save as I just wasn't properly equipped to fight it. I've got a lot more tools now and am a few levels higher so it should be a more straightforward fight.

I just found my first vantage point. Interesting little snippets of info it gives you once you find your way up there..This game just keeps on giving in lots of different ways. Really loving it so far.

I think I'm going to hunt down this dungeon because that sounds like an interesting fight.

I fought one of those as part of a main story mission and found that the ropes were a great way to fight it. Fired off 4 or 5 ropes to tie it down, then ran in and did a couple of critical hits. In between all that I kept shooting fire arrows at the mofo.

Loving this.

Obviously, working at the Cambridge studio I got to see quite a lot of this game over the years (I remember seeing some artwork for it on my first day in 2012, before Shadowfall was even announced and thinking "holy crap, that looks cool").

I'm currently around level 21 or so. I'd recommend everyone get the extra weapon types as soon as possible, particularly the Ropecaster. I'd also recommend getting used to using traps on the big enemies.

As others have said, the only disappointment so far is the over-powered lure and stealth mechanics. I kinda like my games to be easier, but it feels a bit broken. However, I try not to rely on it so I've been having some proper tear-ups with the machines.

3 cauldrons?! :o  I'm loath to leave the first area still and I'm 23 :D 

The animation is seriously impressive. It's the little touches like the way Aloy runs with her hands out to touch the grass when you sprint through tall grass patches, or how she runs unevenly up the side of hills, or starts scampering when it gets more vertical. 

I took over a sawtooth yesterday and it had a fight with a scrapper and another sawtooth. It killed them both but took a lot of damage. Came back to me with a really bad limp, holding its paw up like a real animal :( I did the decent thing and killed it and scavenged its corpse.

I'm loving it so far, although I haven't even taken part in the Braving ceremony or whatever it's called yet. Combat is way, way better than I would expect from an open world game, and it's more of an RPG that I was expecting, with all the levelling up and talking and equipment that comes with the genre.

The only niggle I have is the inability to turn off the waypoint marker. It spoils the view a bit and I'd much prefer to rely on the compass, but hey ho.

16 minutes ago, Kayin Amoh said:

Had a question, read some thoughts, forgot my question.

Oh yeah! Aloy's inventory is absolutely full of crap now. What should I be discarding or selling?

The description text for each item tells you when is only useful for selling.

1 minute ago, Trumpets said:

The description text for each item tells you when is only useful for selling.

Thing is though, I've a pile of resources that have multiple uses. Even after getting rid of all the ancient artifacts that are just coin material, there's a ton of other stuff left behind. Pretty sure I don't need 600 sticks to be fair, but hey.

During the week I snuck in the odd hour, and it was clear that this was a quality game, but after just putting down the pad after a 4 hour session, I can see why it has had so much praise. The world is just stunning. I adore the viewpoints, giving you glimpses of how things used to be. The post post apocalypse setting is right up my street. Insane visuals obviously help. I can't stop drooling over it.

2 hours ago, Masu said:

And just when you think it has gotten about as pretty as it could possibly get, it starts raining.

These visuals are just astonishing considering the hardware.

Yup, they'd be amazing if this was just the Pro but to get it looking as they have on the basic PS4 is just mind boggling.

I've found if you're out and about and want to scavenge plants/wood etc, if you roll into it and press triangle as the animation is still going but the pick up prompt comes on screen, you can scavenge stuff without the few seconds animation. Saves a bit of time, was finding it quite annoying.

Never been a fan of open world games and don't play many of them but absolutely loving this. Level 21 after 20 hours and the time has just flown by. Just finished an interesting mission that gave a few answers to certain things and I'm hooked on the story.

Really enjoying the combat and have noticed a few people on here mention the Ropecaster and its just occured to me I've not even used that weapon yet.

I have been jumping back and forth between this and Zelda. Gameplay wise too different to compare. Both amazing in very different ways. Hard to say which one I like best but man these two games look like they came out 15 years apart.

37 minutes ago, Oz said:

I have been jumping back and forth between this and Zelda. Gameplay wise too different to compare. Both amazing in very different ways. Hard to say which one I like best but man these two games look like they came out 15 years apart.

It's a stark comparison - Zelda looks like a last gen game for sure, while Horizon looks like it somehow running on a PS5. 

That boss mentioned above isn't too hard if you place a lot of traps before triggering the battle and use the ropecaster liberally to tie him down. Fun, fresh combat in this game.

I find Aloy really odd and out of place. Not sure if it's her dialogue or the voice acting but an outcast from a tribal society raised by a man with no sense of humour has somehow developed into someone who talks like a snarky hipster.