Horizon Zero Dawn

Nespresso

I've watched the trailer about 5 times, I think this might be the straw (game) that breaks the camel's back (me getting a ps4). Although I am getting a little 'Enslaved' vibe from it ... Not such a bad thing for me as I enjoyed it, but I know a few people were quite vocal in how much they hated it!

Although I am getting a little 'Enslaved' vibe from it ... Not such a bad thing for me as I enjoyed it, but I know a few people were quite vocal in how much they hated it!

That was the first thing I thought when I saw this - I loved Enslaved's world but the actual game felt like an afterthought.

Seriously hope this has some gameplay & substance to go with the looks, could be amazing.

Another one here who got an Enslaved pang from the style (and a slight SotC vibe from the action, especially when the flying enemy turned up. Suppose that's only from the scale of the enemies).

Hope it's not all bow-related fighting, though, and they perhaps expand on the mechanic of gaining upgraded weapons from defeated enemies.

Yup, first thing I thought was Enslaved for the lovely primary colours going on. I wasn't a fan of Enslaved as a piece of fiction though - actually, I kind of thought it was one of the worst pieces of sci-fi that I've ever had the misfortunate to play through - but the art and the world were great.

This however seems to take everything I liked about that game and seemingly there's gonna be a pretty awesome game on top too...too early to say completely, but it's one of my highlights of E3 for sure.

I think the combat on display looked miles better than anything in Enslaved.

As an aside, I read that the guy who designed the Bloody Baron quest in The Witcher 3 is now working on Horizon.

Have yet to play The Witcher 3 but from what I've heard I wouldn't be surprised if his résumé now simply reads: Designer Bloody Baron Quest Line

Putting aside the cultural importance of the big three announcements, this could be the game of the show for me. I really like the setting, the colour and the game mechanics look interesting (and a focus, rather than the 'shucks I guess we better put a game in our film' approach of the new order.

I hate the term IP (It's a disgusting belittling of what games are) but I certainly love new ones.

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

A bit miffed the identity card got played in this trailer. At this rate, the trailers are getting a bit too close to films standards. Might already know the entire story by the time this comes out. :P

And FINALLY, they seem to properly focus on Aloy instead of the "enemies". Must've been hard to break that habit. ;)

11 minutes ago, Bojangle said:

Looking good.

A fiver says it doesn't make that release date. :P

I would also like to make a bet which is that her quest on finding out where she's from turns out to be our present day (somehow). 

To the bookies! 

Technically, this looks fine but the design reminds me of the vibrating bum-faced goats from Viz. The whole robo-dino thing just looks really naff. Good to see the pre-order tat is ready as they announce a delay to make sure the game is just right.

The game looks awesome but that dialogue is atrocious. What kind of person, when trying to warn a youth of the dangers outside a society, speaks like that?

"You'll be chasing a riddle into a world of mysteries"

"yeah you're right I'd best stay put then"

Also, her name's Aloy (Alloy: a Mixture of two elements, one of which is a metal.). It's going to turn out that she's part robot or something.