Horizon Zero Dawn

Nespresso

5 hours ago, MardiganX said:

Stormbirds are the ones I struggle with the most. The range and speed of movement they have is ridiculous. Until I got a half decent Ropecaster I avoided them like a dog when it sees a hoover!

I've fought a Stormbird once, for the Hunters Lodge questline.

It took longer than the fights I've had with Thunderjaws (a normal one, plus Redmaw), and a

Spoiler

Deathbringer.

--------

Oh. Speaking of

Spoiler

Deathbringer

I did Maker's End earlier.

Spoiler

Is the Deathbringer supposed to just sit there, doing nothing except for sometimes shooting its gun at you?

I was able to peak out from behind a nearby wall or something, fire arrows and sling bombs at it, and then pop back out of the way when it fired back. It was rather easy for a boss fight. I probably tore something off it at the start, but even so I would have expected the thing to move around and come after me. 

After that... Massive info dump, which I loved :)

The story is really interesting in this.

I'm going to make what seems to be the safe assumption that:

Spoiler

Zero Dawn was a calculated sacrifice not just of human civilisation, but of the majority of the human race itself too. A sacrifice performed so as to deny the Swarm of Killer Robots the biomass it needed to exponentially replicate and cause the extinction of *all* life on the planet.

Select humans were kept safe in underground bunkers while the surface world was nuked to buggery. Those who survived and/or those who were kept in statis and/or those who were automatically cloned at a later date were then let back up top once the shitstorm had ended, and once <something> was done to calm the machines and stop them eating everything and everyone.

And then, 1000 years later, things started going tits up...

You should maybe put the name/location/behaviour of that enemy in spoilers. Here's why you found it odd, which you might actually think is a spoiler yourself, so beware:

Spoiler

That Deathbringer is knackered. They don't usually behave like that. Having said that, they're not the liveliest or most interesting things at the best of times, and the technique for fighting them is essentially the same (cause them to overheat, then shoot cooling rods and vents etc).

I'm very close to buying this after just finishing Witcher 3 & DLC, I was going to take a break from open-world for a bit after previously playing MGS5 & Fallout 4.

Does this have a fair bit of non-quest stuff you can do to - like killing beasts for XP and items? Like the Witcher 3 'Question Mark' locations - I loved putting on a podcast/music and chilling out, travelling around the map on auto-pilot late at night, and then doing the quests when I've got a bit more mental energy.

1 minute ago, meatbin said:

I'm very close to buying this after just finishing Witcher 3 & DLC, I was going to take a break from open-world for a bit after previously playing MGS5 & Fallout 4.

Does this have a fair bit of non-quest stuff you can do to - like killing beasts for XP and items? Like the Witcher 3 'Question Mark' locations - I loved putting on a podcast/music and chilling out, travelling around the map on auto-pilot late at night, and then doing the quests when I've got a bit more mental energy.

You're free to go wherever you like, do whatever you want.

2 minutes ago, Mr Do 71 said:

You're free to go wherever you like, do whatever you want.

Yeah I got that, but is there stuff you can actually do or grind without having to enter quests?  (sorry I probably didn't explain myself well)

4 minutes ago, meatbin said:

Yeah I got that, but is there stuff you can actually do or grind without having to enter quests?  (sorry I probably didn't explain myself well)

You can can do smaller stuff like errands, side quests, corrupted zones to clear etc... Plus stuff you can collect and find around the world.

4 minutes ago, meatbin said:

Theres a ton of collectibles , and there are corrupted zones to clear out, and  of course you could just decide to run around killing as much as you can

Loads of non-story stuff to do - I've wandered around doing random bits & pieces, sightseeing, hunting for fun etc now for 50+ hours, reached level 26 and have only just got to Meridian.

I'm struggling to think of a game world I've loved just being in more than this. :wub:

I'm about 45 hours in and I've traversed a lot of the map (about 2/3 of it, I reckon), virtually all on foot. You can teleport from save point to save point, or steal a horse and ride around, but I prefer to creep around by myself between quests and deal with the machines I find on the way. Either killing them and looting the scrap, or trying to go around them without being noticed for the ones I'm not strong enough to fend off yet. Or finding a good spot and picking them off from a distance with explosives.

It's good they've put the teleport option in for people who don't want to do that, but for me it would detract from the immersion. I'm a futuristic cave-woman with a bow and arrow and a pointy stick, of course I walk everywhere! It means the game is taking longer (or positively, it's lasting longer) but it also means it feels like a real, coherent location with a sense of direction and scale rather than a series of disconnected levels.

9 hours ago, Hoodedclaw said:

pootling around on a beast doing errands and side quests on this is one of the best bits about it :)

It's a shame you have to keep getting off your mount to pick stuff up.

5 hours ago, BubbleFish said:

Its a cheesy tactic but I found you could just stand outside the fenced area on the side hill and take pot shots without him doing anything to you. Cheesy but effective.

Edit- in response to beating Rockbreaker

Yeah that's pretty much what I did. Put a bunch of blast wires down where it kept landing, and took a bunch of pot shots at it.

So I finished this yesterday. A fair few vantages remaining, 3 or 4 bandit camps undone and Cauldron Zeta never got done.

I really, really enjoyed it, but I don't think it's a 10/10 by any means. A lot of the sidequests are just rubbish, the NPCs feel lifeless outside of the main ones (and even they're a bit rubbish) and the crafting system is a waste of time. And the combat really doesn't feel capitalised on. You can't really override machines in any of the main missions and Deathbringers are total rubbish in comparison to every other machine in the game.

But at the same time the machines are an absolute triumph. The look and atmosphere of the game (when you're out in the wilds) are second to none. Absolutely incredible.

And I think I can honestly say it's probably got the best story of any game I've ever played.

Spoiler

I absolutely loved the story. I think it would have been better with a chat with Hades at the end as has been said but it was still great and self contained. I'm slightly disappointed by the post credits scene. It feels forced and like it needs to set up a sequel, but at least this one wraps things up quite nicely rather than being like a lot of games where the entire game has no closure and just serves to set up a sequel.

And the bit when Aloy finds Sobeck's body is great. Reminded me of the ending of Deep Impact, though. :lol:

But yeah, the whole end of the world and rebirth into what it is now is genuinely epic and the game captures the melancholy of that really well.

I just did Maker's End. So now I know a lot more of the background story but still with plenty to learn. Time for some speculation!

I think most of the machines (all the animal based ones) aren't Faro's but are Elizabet's green robots from the great clawback. Or at least, new robots made in the cauldrons based on those designs. Only the non-animal ones like the Corrupter and Deathbringer are actual military robots. One of the holograms in the skyscraper said the Corrupter could take over and control enemy robots which is how the out of control military machines ended up taking control of all robots, even the nominally peaceful ones.

Project Zero Dawn was some kind of global EMP which wiped out all electrical devices except those in shielded locations e.g. inside mountain bunkers like the Great Mother or the one that Aloy found her Focus in. Elizabet was dedicated to restoring the environment and perhaps saw the desperate last chance attempt to stop the robots as an opportunity to swing the pendulum back the other way by returning human civilisation to a pre-industrial stage.

Hades is the AI which took over control of the machines from Faro.

I've still no idea how this led to Aloy existing but i suppose that will become clear soon enough.

Of course i might be completely wrong about all this! Tell me whether I'm hot or cold but don't correct me please, I'd rather find out in the game.

5 minutes ago, Darren said:

I just did Maker's End. So now I know a lot more of the background story but still with plenty to learn. Time for some speculation!

Reveal hidden contents

I think most of the machines (all the animal based ones) aren't Faro's but are Elizabet's green robots from the great clawback. Or at least, new robots made in the cauldrons based on those designs. Only the non-animal ones like the Corrupter and Deathbringer are actual military robots. One of the holograms in the skyscraper said the Corrupter could take over and control enemy robots which is how the out of control military machines ended up taking control of all robots, even the nominally peaceful ones.

Project Zero Dawn was some kind of global EMP which wiped out all electrical devices except those in shielded locations e.g. inside mountain bunkers like the Great Mother or the one that Aloy found her Focus in. Elizabet was dedicated to restoring the environment and perhaps saw the desperate last chance attempt to stop the robots as an opportunity to swing the pendulum back the other way by returning human civilisation to a pre-industrial stage.

I've still no idea how this led to Aloy existing but i suppose that will become clear soon enough.

Of course i might be completely wrong about all this! Tell me whether I'm hot or cold but don't correct me please, I'd rather find out in the game.

I'm on that mission right now.

37 minutes ago, Darren said:

Hide contents

Warm, some of it very warm. But warmer in some areas than others, where it's more layered and subtle than that.

I'm slightly surprised people aren't keen on some of the main characters in this. I warmed to most of them, especially Erend and Sylens. After reading some of his logs, I got quite into the idea of Helis as well. Side characters like Teersa were also convincing and quite believable, and even the holo/log-recreations of people like Sobeck, Faro and some of the scientists and military people seemed solid and imbued with a personality. I thought the characters and their motivations and behaviour/manners were generally really well-written.

But having just watched a Giant Bomb livestream of ME Andromeda I'm going to have to revise that opinion to brilliantly well-written. I mean, objectively they weren't, but stuff like that makes you realise just how bad character writing in games can be. Jesus.

So I've met Hades for the first time doing a mission with Sylens. And taken some time out to help the people of Sunstone Rock and Brightmarket. Next story mission is off to Sunfall, so I think I'm going to pause and do my last Cauldron, clear a bandit camp or two, find some collectibles etc. Maybe do a Hunting Ground (I cleared the first, but haven't tried the others at all.)

Really enjoying this still.

Totally!

I was going to trade this game in today - it's still worth £32 cash at CEX - but found myself somehow unable to. I just know in a lull I'll be back to it, either just to farm robots or play through the whole thing again. It's definitely got that keeper quality for me, even all 100%ed.