Horizon Zero Dawn

Nespresso

Most significant thing about that:

This is only the beginning of Aloy's story and our exploration of the world of Horizon Zero Dawn, with the team already hard at work on an expansion to the story.

Obvious I suppose, but they'd always refused to even talk about it before.

I've just done what i think was supposed to be the last cauldron but only the second one i did. Blimey that was hard. In the end i tried to give up and revert to the previous save, but rather than put me back at the campfire outside it just put me back in the cauldron core. So i had no choice but to keep trying and dying and trying again. I managed it eventually, so now I have made it up the road to the relative safety of a campfire next to a river full of snapmaws, on my way to the far north, and hopefully some answers about who Aloy really is.

I did the cauldrons in the slightly wrong order also. Never mind.

I've done some busywork tonight, clearing all the Corrupted zones, bandit camps, collectibles, side missions and the last Cauldron. Which just leaves me needing the Blazing Suns from 3 hunting grounds and one more power cell for completionism.

And finishing the story, obv. I'm at the Sunfall mission now, so I'm presumably a fair way through.

On 14/03/2017 at 12:51, Uncle Mike said:

The only one I haven't really gotten any use of is the Tearblaster. I don't use the slings much, but I should.

Great for Ravagers and Thunderjaws so you can use their weapons against them. I love it.

19 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

@Pandy @Mr Do 71 Yeah, I know about Tear damage, and use the Tearblast arrows a lot. Just not the Tearblaster "gun".

fucking hell where is that gun.... I have reached the point of no return.... help me out Mike?

1 hour ago, Mr Do 71 said:

Target glowing yellow weakpoints for massive damage :D

wait are the giant enemy crabs in this game? and if not, why the fuck no?

6 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

You get it from following the Hunter's Lodge story (as opposed to completing the Hunting Grounds.)

ok I have left that one quest that for after the game's end following advise from @Gorf King

to do some stuff after I finish with the fancy new armour. do you think I screwed that up? I have gone ahead to finish and found out the first bit of the reveal. I will probably get it done tonight. I still don't have all those power cells from the second lot. I hope they appear soon and I have not missed them somehow. 

I haven't finished the game yet, but as I never use the Tearblaster gun, I'd not sweat it. As I understand it, the game puts you back before the "point of no return" when you've completed it anyway, so you could complete two different ways.

23 minutes ago, Oz said:

fucking hell where is that gun.... I have reached the point of no return.... help me out Mike?

wait are the giant enemy crabs in this game? and if not, why the fuck no?

Not giant enemy crabs, but there is something similar. They're also fantastic to watch when they fight another robot creature.

13 hours ago, Vemsie said:

UMTZCY9.gif

More pretty gifs over at GAF.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1352893

Not too spoilery, but don't click if you want to see multiple environments and enemies.

these AI 'helpers' really do my head in. this lady said to the guards: 'protect her... don't let anything happen to her!' 2 seconds into the 20 minute fight with a death-bringer they were all dead. good going guys, thanks for the help. 

Completed the main quest last night and was impressed by how well thought out the story/lore was. The last scene is actually quite touching. It's good to see some developers are still trying in this area, after Fallout 4's fisher-price narrative. 

Reckon I'll be back to mop up some of the last side quests etc. Still have one Cauldron to do and haven't yet found it on the map. 

On 15/03/2017 at 01:56, Tezcatlipoca said:

I did Maker's End earlier.

Reveal hidden contents

Is the Deathbringer supposed to just sit there, doing nothing except for sometimes shooting its gun at you?

I was able to peak out from behind a nearby wall or something, fire arrows and sling bombs at it, and then pop back out of the way when it fired back. It was rather easy for a boss fight. I probably tore something off it at the start, but even so I would have expected the thing to move around and come after me. 

After that... Massive info dump, which I loved :)

The story is really interesting in this.

I'm going to make what seems to be the safe assumption that:

Hide contents

Zero Dawn was a calculated sacrifice not just of human civilisation, but of the majority of the human race itself too. A sacrifice performed so as to deny the Swarm of Killer Robots the biomass it needed to exponentially replicate and cause the extinction of *all* life on the planet.

Select humans were kept safe in underground bunkers while the surface world was nuked to buggery. Those who survived and/or those who were kept in statis and/or those who were automatically cloned at a later date were then let back up top once the shitstorm had ended, and once <something> was done to calm the machines and stop them eating everything and everyone.

And then, 1000 years later, things started going tits up...

Finished The City of the Sun quest chain last night with The Sun Shall Fall, then did another couple of main quests: The Grave-Hoard and To Curse The Darkness.

Following those last two, I'm revising my assumption from above slightly:

Spoiler

Project Zero Dawn was a version of my second paragraph above, with humans kept in stasis and/or cloned and then used to repopulated the surface world at a later date once things calmed down and once the environment was restored (with help from Sobek's green machines).

But the Swarm of Killer Robots wasn't denied the biomass it needed for exponential replication, by proactively sacrificing the whole of humanity on the surface (via e.g. nuking the fuck out of everything) - it was allowed to eat everything and everyone on the surface so it would then run out of fuel. (With the only military actions against it purely being delaying tactics to give Project Zero Dawn time to finish.)

We know Hades is a Metal Devil (Titan-class Horus), but it seems to be an AI too, not just a machine following a "EAT EVERYTHING!" corrupted programme. Hive mind AI, a collective intelligence of the whole "swarm"?

I also finished off the Corrupted Zones last night.

I *think* that all I have left now are the remaining story missions, plus the Ancient Armour, Hunting Trials, and a bunch of collectibles.

Hope Ubisoft is keeping an eye on this. One thing making all AC games fall apart in the end is there are literally zero (no pun intended) story hooks. And they make you hate the gameplay through quest design repetition. Those games are almost impossible to finish. Whereas I am dying to see how this wraps up.

Well, I'm gonna call it, this is the best looking game I have played to date on any console and PC. I have a 1080 video card in my pc as well lol. Blown away, and I have only played an hour so far. Oh, and the music is amazing as well.

Playing on the 4K Samsung HDR with a PS4 Pro.

2 hours ago, Oz said:

Hope Ubisoft is keeping an eye on this. One thing making all AC games fall apart in the end is there are literally zero (no pun intended) story hooks. And they make you hate the gameplay through quest design repetition. Those games are almost impossible to finish. Whereas I am dying to see how this wraps up.

This was way, way shorter than I thought it was going to be in terms of the main story arc. Felt really good and didn't drag at all.

the clouds in this are an actual simulation. and they have volume. the let the sun through and reflect it like clouds would. this is brand new I believe for this game. ever.  witcher still has a sky box. also, I thought you hated skies in witcher! @Captain LeChuck I finished this and loved every moment of it. PSA: those of you keen on getting that locked armour should follow a FAQ (without a shadow of a doubt). you will not stumble into what you need without doing some serious searching. and ain't nobody got time for that!