Horizon Zero Dawn

Nespresso

so this is where I am having slept on finishing this game:

1) one of the best games I have ever played

2) Aloy is a good character and she is extremely well acted. the voice person really nailed it.

3) The story goes interesting places. some you expect to see coming but others less so.

4) my new game I wish I could travel back in time and show 8 year old Oz.

5) combat is really great but I wish there was a tiny bit less of it.

for example some robots could be less aggressive when you run into them on the wild.

6) I wish enemy AI would agro longer. as it is they are strictly bound to areas which breaks the combat a bit.

7) they have some really brilliant characters and writing but conversations and exposition seem to be confined to moments. I wish interactions with NPCs were more spread throughout rather than confined to some 'exposition heavy' missions.

8) I wish Aloy's character model was less katniss and more Xena. it pulls me out of the experience a bit that warrior looking people will look up to this very petite 19 year old girl to save them. I guess I did not care in the end about her race. lol

9) commander zavala fucking nailed it here. 

10) whoever thought that it would be a good idea to show you a certain set of gear at the bunker but then you only get to wear a lore appropriate version of that gear (that looks almost nothing like it) can go fuck themselves.

Looking at the credits for this game it struck me that guerrilla must be a really diverse team speaking of race. I spotted maybe two Dutch sounding names of the million people that seemed to have worked in this game. Even a Gonzales there. 

IMG_0423.JPG

8 hours ago, Oz said:

the clouds in this are an actual simulation. and they have volume. the let the sun through and reflect it like clouds would. this is brand new I believe for this game. ever.  witcher still has a sky box. also, I thought you hated skies in witcher! @Captain LeChuck

Nah - FFXV has physically simulated clouds, and on Xbox One too

Maybe that's a spoiler @Gorf King:quote:

1 hour ago, Triple A said:

Nah - FFXV has physically simulated clouds, and on Xbox One too

If we are going to continue this trend of interesting skies someone really needs to work on how the camera should behave when one looks up  on a third person action game. Don't you think?

Just commenting on the fact that looking up is always clunky and things like the grass comes in the way. That should be better considering how many improvements third person camera has had in the last few years. 

1 hour ago, Oz said:

Just commenting on the fact that looking up is always clunky and things like the grass comes in the way. That should be better considering how many improvements third person camera has had in the last few years. 

Oh right, cool

2 hours ago, Mr Do 71 said:

That locked away secret armour, can you still get the power cells if you missed them during the missions? I've unlocked the door with the 

Hide contents

two power cells, and now I need three more power cells.

I would look it up before you do the final few missions. It is a hassle to get back to where you need to be if you miss them. 

2 hours ago, Oz said:

This is my main criticism of the game, and the combat mostly, when fighting the flying enemies in the game.

"Bloody grass, get out the way, I really need to hit this shot! Fook, missed as I couldn't see bugger all for the trees. Literally!"

Spoiler

Have they set up seven sequels then? I really love he idea on one crazy AI per game. My least favourite dialogue was by far hades though. There was so much potential on that idea of an AI created with the sole purpose of destroying everything. But they choose to make him talk like a computer would. He should have believed himself as the devil. And been more akin to sovereign.

Nearly finished now, but I want it to never end.

Did Deep Secrets of the Earth, The Terror of the Sun, and The Heart of the Nora last night.

The story for this is so good, and I loved the reveals.

Spoiler

Lingering questions: Why didn't APOLLO work? Where did the signal come from that fucked up GAIA's sub-AIs and woke HADES?

Also did the Traitor's Bounty side quest, and its follow-up.

I did those two side quests before Deep Secrets of the Earth (i.e. got sidetracked as soon as they appeared), which meant that during The Terror of the Sun...

Spoiler

Helis mentioned the death of the High Priest and the rescue of the Boy King, and he appeared to have taken full control of the Shadow Carja in Sunfall.

Did anyone do those two side quests after those two main quests?

Spoiler

Obviously Helis won't mention the High Priest's death and the Boy King's rescue if you do it in that order, but are they present in the cutscene? Does Helis still appear to be in control of Sunfall? Also, I assume the only real need for the Shadow Carja armour that Sylens gives you after The Terror of the Sun is so you can go back and do Traitor's Bounty if you didn't do it beforehand.

A Horizon: Zero Dawn expansion is on the way, with mention of DLC tucked away in a press release about the game selling 2.6 million globally.

Obviously, selling loads is great and everything (the release mentions that Horizon: Zero Dawn is the "best-selling new first party IP launch on the PS4 system to date"), but the promise of new stuff is far more interesting.

The confirmation comes from Guerrilla's managing director Hermen Hulst who, as part of a statement on the game's success, says "this is only the beginning of Aloy's story and our exploration of the world of Horizon Zero Dawn, with the team already hard at work on an expansion to the story."

What that expansion to the story might be is anybody's guess. Although if you've finished the game, or don't mind spoilers, take a look at our thoughts on Horizon: Zero Dawn's ending and start guessing. 

http://www.gamesradar.com/horizon-zero-dawn-studio-teases-story-dlc-were-already-hard-at-work-on-an-expansion/?utm_content=bufferd242c&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=buffer-opmtw

All done. And what a game, loved it all. 

For an open world game it got the balance right on the 'busy work'. So much so thats its the first game I've ever got a platinum trophy on! Fantastic work Guerrilla, roll on the DLC

2 hours ago, Oz said:

did the signal fuck them up? At least one of them seems to be doing what it was meant to do :blink:. Maybe something else is going on. Oooooh I love the story in this.

Spoilers, @Oz! ;)

The Heart of the Nora:

Spoiler

The message from GAIA to "Elisabet" said something along the lines of: "... a signal of unknown origin has activated my subordinate functions and transformed them into unregulated and self-aware entities of a highly chaotic nature."

HADES' purpose wasn't simply to destroy everything. HADES' purpose was to destroy everything if it had all gone horribly, horribly wrong. It's not meant to wipe out all life on Earth if the terraforming has worked and humans have subsequently been released to repopulate the surface.

I started this game at the weekend - it looks very well-developed.

I felt a bit bewildered when it thrust me into real combat for the first time -- the early tutorials were so slow and deliberate about using stealth in tall grass; but then the shit hits the fan and I suddenly have tons of human enemies shooting at me, then soon after a huge machine jumping around the place - and no tutorial any more. So I hope it's not going to be too hard.

I climbed the first Tallneck - that was awesome. Now I'm a little daunted by how big the map is! 

I've read good thing about how the story pays off, and how even the fetch quests aren't annoying, so I have good hopes about this. 

14 hours ago, Tezcatlipoca said:

Spoilers, @Oz! ;)

The Heart of the Nora:

Reveal hidden contents

The message from GAIA to "Elisabet" said something along the lines of: "... a signal of unknown origin has activated my subordinate functions and transformed them into unregulated and self-aware entities of a highly chaotic nature."

HADES' purpose wasn't simply to destroy everything. HADES' purpose was to destroy everything if it had all gone horribly, horribly wrong. It's not meant to wipe out all life on Earth if the terraforming has worked and humans have subsequently been released to repopulate the surface.

My fan theory is

Spoiler

There is something fucked up with that world but GAIA has lost the plot and her fealings are making her malfunction. Hades is actually doing what needs doing. They are chaotic in GAIAs view. Because they are not under her control. She wants to control everything. The signal actually came from Elizabeth. :blink2:

It's not that complex (or bonkers); in fact, it's pretty much as told in the game.

(Endgame spoiler)

Spoiler

HADES isn't doing what needs doing, and GAIA didn't lose the plot. Nor has HADES a conditional purpose - HADES' only function is to kill, to destroy life, not to judge if it's gone wrong first - that's GAIA's job because HADES (like all other AI entities) is merely a subordinate program to GAIA - apart from in a brief window once the destruction is invoked. (In this respect at least, the game follows the basic relationships in the Greek mythology from which the AIs' names were derived: Gaia is the Earth itself and the fount of all life; she gives birth to, among other Gods, Cronus (Time). Hades (keeper of the underworld, or more modernly, god of the dead), is the son of Time, which is quite poetic. (Along that line it might have been better for this AI to be called MOROS, as he's the Greek god of Doom, or even his brother Ker*:

[Moros] is the offspring of Nyx, the embodiment of night, who had conceived him without male intervention, and brother of the Moirai, or the Fates, who controlled destiny. Moros' siblings Thanatos and Ker represented the physical aspects of death—Ker being the bringer of violent death and terminal sickness, while Thanatos represented a peaceful passing away. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moros)

But I guess HADES has a better ring to it these days. Anyway, the point is, all the other Gods AI, they're all children/grandchildren subroutines/subsystems of GAIA. They are regulated by her - they're subordinate to her. It's the simple act of their being unleashed from subordination and her control that sets the chaos off - because you don't upset the natural order of things, and GAIA is the prime creator, the mother. Whatever sent the signal seeks to overturn this natural order, and it's by self-destructing (to destroy HADES and protect life) that GAIA starts the aberrant behaviour of the machines, because she's no longer able to control them, and the Corruption is what is piled on top of that by HADES. Obviously, GAIA's self-destruction is simultaneous with her creation/birthing of Aloy. 

Elisabet can't have sent the signal, as clearly she's long dead (and why would she? Nothing is wrong at that point, except for the lack of knowledge/Apollo). But another entity must have, and unless it's some ET macguffin, it's earthbound, which means... oh, hello Ted. (Please don't be that, Guerrilla. But it has to be something originating before the world ended.)

Anyway, it's not complex/too convoluted, which is one of the reasons I rate the story. But another reason is the relative subtlety and the nice shading it has. For example, the Greek creation myth whose gods are used to name the AI nicely echoes the society that comes later, which takes the AI and converts them back to the status of gods in their own creation myth. It's nice to see the old gods become new gods, which then doubtless later become rationalised by science into mere machines before the cycle turns apocalyptic and we become the gods again, creating our own AI that then become... and so on. It suggests that this might not be the first such cycle (but again - please don't go there explicitly, Guerrilla - we had Mass Effect for that, and look how that's ended up.) 

Also, touches like the metal flowers being a gift from GAIA, containing fragments of the culture lost when Apollo was wiped, but for a purpose no-one knows until the very last scene when Elisabet herself is surrounded by the same triangular arrangement of flowers as the poems, making it clear that these flowers, metal and real, are GAIA's gifts to her own mother, Elisabet. Some of them (e.g. Meredith's Dirge in Woods) become even more powerful when you realise that.

It's not a perfect narrative either in basis or execution, but it's surprisingly well-rounded and skilfully delivered for a videogame.

* Incidentally, another of Moros' siblings is his sister, the goddess of chaos or strife. This detail may be of interest to players of a certain other videogame, as her name is Eris. There are various takes and accounts of Eris, but in them all she's basically a bit of a shit-stirrer.

Also... 

Spoiler

It is interesting to think about why the signal did exactly that of splitting the other AI. I think it will be Ted somehow and he found a way to remain alive. I think Elizabeth will be alive too somehow (other than through her clone). Because although you see her corpse in armour you never actually see her die. There are hints at the fact that they were trying to develop technologies to extend life but they did not work properly. Maybe Ted is alive but all fucked up. And sylense is a cunt.

Indeed, LeChuck.

Spoiler

Anyone could have written something, kept something back, hidden something. But Ted is the prime candidate. What did he do apart from destroy Apollo? And what did he do after destroying Apollo - just go off and sit out old age and death? I doubt it somehow. He got up to something more, that bugger.

Probably. But of everyone involved, it wouldn't be Elisabet.

Deep Secrets is not the point of no return. That comes a while later, and it's (no spoilers) the one where you are invited to rest before it. It'll be obvious when you get there.

Deep Secrets does say you won't be able to come back for a while, but that just means you can't get out of the story stuff until a bit later. Once you do - and you will - you can go on doing whatever you like, including stuff you could have done earlier. Nothing is technically missable - in fact, you can return to it even after finishing the game, as you're deposited back before the true no point of no return after the credits end.