Horizon Zero Dawn

Nespresso

2 hours ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Well, 

Hide contents

Ted had the authority to completely delete Apollo, his reasons for doing so were sound (to avoid the new humanity repeating the mistakes of the old), but he was clearly not sound of mind. 

Who's to say, in his madness, he wrote something into the programming, something subtle, yet dangerous?  

Spoiler

His reasons can be argued as sound, yes but just lol if anyone thinks he did it for any reason other than ensuring future generations never know just who was responsible for the complete destruction of both human civilisation and the entire goddamn eco system of the planet Earth. It's all about his fucking ego.

Ted Faro is literally the single most detestable fictional character creation in recent memory. A full on megafash like Emperor Palpatine was more likeable and had more redeeming qualities than this sack of shit and it were announced tomorrow that the DLC costs £20 just for reused bunker assets full of Ted clones in stasis tubes, I would happily pay it and punch them all in the balls for months. What a pathetic prick.

Horizon Zero Dawn is simply an excellent, wonderful game, I can't praise it enough. Aloy owns, the gameplay owns, the robots own, and the backstory to the apocalypse is probably the most depressingly plausible and terrifying in a long while - at least, for example, Skynet only nuked everything in desperation and was only concerned with humans. This was just utterly horrific in pure conceptual terms any way you look at it. Even The Thing reaching mainland would be less appalling.

Best comedy moment: having spent most of it as the Predator, the absolute highlight was coming out of [somewhere] and finding the bad dudes all cowering in the long grass. Feeling good at the fact I now clearly scare them shitless, I go over to batter one only for one to hear "for pity's sake, they'll see you!" at which point I realised there was a big shimmery/glitchy area several yards away and the penny dropped. Oh. Oh dear.

Oh and proper lol @ any chumps who didn't choose the aggressive option in the final meeting with the Eclipse dude. Aloy's a good person in the main but sometimes, you just gotta tell it like it really is. Stone. Cold.

50 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

I would pay a couple of months worth of salary for this game. As far as I am concerned all AAA games should release with a downloadable pixel art companion game.

I finished it last night.

Loved it. All of it. Utterly fucking amazing game.

Graphics, world, combat, story, characters... So, so good. All of it.

I also had a highly unrealistic thought: Imagine if Sony bought the Mass Effect IP from EA and gave it to Guerrilla? ;)

Don't think I can be bothered to go for Platinum.

I don't mind collectibles if I come across them while doing something else, but with no quests left (bar the hunting trials) I'm not going travelling around just looking for flowers, vantage points, ancient vessels, and Banuk figures. Plus I really don't think I can be arsed with the hunting trials.

Hit level 50 during the final mission, and have all but one skill unlocked. Got one unused skill point, and need two more to get the all skills trophy. XP means nothing now though, as I'm at 50, so I guess I *do* need to do hunting trials - and ace them with Blazing Stars - to get a couple more skill points. Unless I can just re-do the final two missions again, get their skill points, and loop back around?

ENDING SPOILERS AND SPECULATION:

Spoiler

Yeah, I agree that Ted is a prime candidate for sending the mysterious signal that caused the sub-AIs to become "unregulated, self-aware entities of a highly chaotic nature".

We know he had the means to fuck up APOLLO, we know that cloning works, we know that there'd been efforts made into cryonics, and we know that Ted had his own private bunker to live out the apocalypse. So, perhaps Ted himself is still around 1000 years later, thanks to freezing himself, or perhaps there's a Ted clone that was woken up recently. Or perhaps Ted is 100% dead, but he left some programming behind...

Why would he do it, though? I understand (but don't agree with) why he did what he did to APOLLO, but why would he want to cause chaos, especially as the only logical outcome would be for HADES to assume direct control and wipe everything out?

I did wonder if the generation ship, Odyssey, didn't really get destroyed after all (FAKE NEWS!), and it's sitting out there with a space-born civilisation of humans raised on the imperfect alpha build of APOLLO... And they want the Earth.

But Ted makes the most sense, even though his motives are a mystery.

Also, like @Gorf King, I did wonder if there had been more than one cycle.

ENDING THOUGHTS:

Spoiler

Why did Aloy not take the spear with her after sticking it in HADES?

Oh, and I would have liked to see the survivors get together at the end, before Aloy rode off into the sunset to find Elisabet's corpse. Who lived? Who died? Where is Petra?

@Oz Yes, Sylens is definitely a cunt!

Spoiler

I think ted probably fancies himself the ruler of the new world and that was the real reason behind shutting apolo. And specially murdering the primes. Maybe there has been more than one cycle and he is reborn every time but has gone a bit mad in the transfer from one body to ththe next. His latest incarnation was maybe the previous sun king?

ENDING STUFF:

Spoiler

I dunno. I think his reasoning for APOLLO is as he said - protecting the future generations from the dangers of knowledge - combined with what @Space Renegade Ulala said about his ego not wanting the future generations to know that he was the man responsible for the destruction of everything.

Being the Sun King wouldn't work, either, as from what we've seen it's a hereditary position.

But yeah, maybe there have been generations of Ted clones, deteriorating each time.

Thoughts on Aloy leaving her spear behind:

She had to leave it for plot reasons, because it was Sylens' spear, and he fucking planned everything in advance - He must have modded it with something to facilitate the transmission of HADES to his "lantern" once the extinction protocol had been reversed.

Thoughts on tribal origins:

Presumably, all the tribes in the game came from the Cradle in the Nora mountain originally (we know the Carja, at least, came from the "Savage East", same as the Nora).

The Nora's matriarchal society must have originated with GAIA (seems obvious, given GAIA's name), maybe from memories of GAIA speaking to the last bunker-born generation. A goddess in a mountain.

Where did the Sun religion come from?

The future:

OK, so Sylens has HADES, plus there's the threat of who/what sent the signal.

New territory is surely a given for a sequel. We've not seen the Osseram lands, nor really seen the Banuk lands (just one camp in the far NE of Nora territory). Maybe even further afield, if Aloy goes hunting Sylens/HADES/Ted across the former US?

This thread is torturing me. I had decided to wait for when I get my proper Pro + 4K Tv setup, to be my first game with that, but hearing that the story is also great and all these amazing posts about the lore etc is driving me insane.

Can someone please tell me that this is really shit on the standard PS4 and I will be missing a lot if I don't wait to play it in 4K and HDR?

Please?

Spoiler

:facepalm:

21 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

This thread is torturing me. I had decided to wait for when I get my proper Pro + 4K Tv setup, to be my first game with that, but hearing that the story is also great and all these amazing posts about the lore etc is driving me insane.

Can someone please tell me that this is really shit on the standard PS4 and I will be missing a lot if I don't wait to play it in 4K and HDR?

Please?

Hide contents

:facepalm:

I've not really seen it on PS4 Pro but its stunning on Standard PS4. Absolutely stunning. Check the photo thread, all my pics and some others too I think are on standard PS4.

Errr, I mean it's really shit, yeah ;)

I didn't play it in 4K and HDR, and even so it looked utterly fucking gorgeous.

That was on a Pro, though, still, although everything I've read says it's the best looking game on any version of PS4.

Play it at 1080p on a PS4, and then play it again in 4K with HDR on a Pro when you get your new setup ;)

It's that good, you'll want to go back and replay it.

8 hours ago, Space Renegade Ulala said:

Oh and proper lol @ any chumps who didn't choose the aggressive option in the final meeting with the Eclipse dude. Aloy's a good person in the main but sometimes, you just gotta tell it like it really is. Stone. Cold.

Nah man.

Spoiler

The heart option is 'telling it like it is' and generally the best thing for Aloy to do, as in the most in-character. In that option she does the worst thing she can do to Helis - she pities him, which from his diary entires we know (and she knows) undermines his whole belief system. To paraphrase the writers of MEA, his world collapses before his throat does - that's the worst thing. And then she culls him like a Halal butcher would an animal. It's by far the most shocking finishing move because it's so clinical. In the aggressive option she basically just loses it. Heart one, she's totally in control and he's reduced to the level of the next day's kebab, but a kebab she feels sorry for as it's so shit - a shit kebab. Brutal.

I actually ran away from a battle for the first time tonight. I was creeping along trying to get past a bunch of circling glinthawks without being spotted but one of them did. Never mind, I thought, I'm a badass level 35 future Californian Ygritte, I dispatch glinthawks without breaking a sweat these days. But five of the buggers turned up. Then a few ravagers joined in. Then a pair of snapmaws. So I did what it had never occurred to me to do before, and I ran as fast and as far as I could until they finally gave up chasing me.

This game has moved up to an even higher level now I can override all the animal machines. There's something very satisfying about creeping up on one and turning it against all the others in its herd. I did a mission that involved going into an area full of scrappers and rather than take them all on, I just set them against each other until the only one left was a heavily injured (and limping! Walking on three legs and holding one paw up!) friendly machine. It almost broke my heart to saunter up to it and whack it with my pointy stick but it was a mercy really, and besides I really needed the parts.

Then I did the same but with a bunch of behemoths. The last one of them took a bit of finishing off even though it was injured. I really don't fancy facing one of those on its own and at full health.

Edited by Darren
Removed unforgivable apostrophe in "its"

@Talk Show Host I'm playing it on a 4K to with HDR and it literally takes my breath away every time I turn it on. Proper stop and shake my head at the black magic coming out of the screen. I understand it's pretty special on a non-Pro so you'll be blown away I'm sure. 

It certainly gives both machines a workout though. My Pro can get pretty noisy after a couple of hours. 

It's probably just (completed game spoilers still)

Spoiler

another group of humans somewhere else in the world. Because there were other cradles outside of the relatively small map in this game - there was one mentioned in China, for example (the first one completed?). And who knows what they stumbled upon and how they developed over the course of time? They must be part of any sequel. Or even as close by as 'the Forbidden West', so Utah, Nevada, California. California, yeah - they were probably just a bunch of stoners messing around with old tech and it went off. 

27 minutes ago, Gorf King said:

It's probably just (completed game spoilers still)

Reveal hidden contents

another group of humans somewhere else in the world. Because there were other cradles outside of the relatively small map in this game - there was one mentioned in China, for example (the first one completed?). And who knows what they stumbled upon and how they developed over the course of time? They must be part of any sequel. Or even as close by as 'the Forbidden West', so Utah, Nevada, California. California, yeah - they were probably just a bunch of stoners messing around with old tech and it went off. 

I possed this cos I think it's the best explanation I've read, and also shows a clearly defined sequel path, which must have factored in to the writing.

1 hour ago, Captain LeChuck said:
  Hide contents

Nah, the 13th Sun King couldn't possibly be Faro. The 14th is clearly of Indian origin. Ted Faro was a white dude. 

But if Faro could transfer his consciousness ... we're veering into fan fiction territory now.

I just think there is more to that story of how the sun king

Spoiler

...died before the start of the game. I bet you that's connected. Maybe Ted shut apollo so they could use it to store his conciousness instead? Maybe Ted did just go mad from being responsible for the end of the world. But he was already up to no good in how the swarn was created because he was installing a back door or something that caused the glitch didn't he? Maybe Ted actually has no body but now lives in the machine. It could all be awesome and I reckon it will be. Everything is set up for a real cool story. Hope they don't matrix the shit out of th sequels.

I really appreciate this idea that humans always end up workshipping the sun and committing atrocities in its name. It is in our nature. Even if we reset. Considering how much of even our 'modern' religions follow the sun calendar.  Now that we've resolved any issues we had with race, should we cover religion now?

3 hours ago, Oz said:

I just think there is more to that story of how the sun king

Hide contents

...died before the start of the game. I bet you that's connected. Maybe Ted shut apollo so they could use it to store his conciousness instead? Maybe Ted did just go mad from being responsible for the end of the world. But he was already up to no good in how the swarn was created because he was installing a back door or something that caused the glitch didn't he? Maybe Ted actually has no body but now lives in the machine. It could all be awesome and I reckon it will be. Everything is set up for a real cool story. Hope they don't matrix the shit out of th sequels.

Nope.

Spoiler

Ted didn't cause The Glitch by installing a backdoor - he *wanted* a backdoor *because* of The Glitch. He needed a solution to it, only to be told by his coders that they could not possibly add a backdoor to fix The Glitch because he had insisted on full Black Quartz quantum encryption with zero chance of a backdoor.

Just come back to the bunker at Mother's Cradle:

Spoiler

I really liked the reveals there. How the kids have take to the Sun, why everything's called Mother something, and why they're Braves, and then Aloy's reaction to her heritage. Really neat and satisfyingly tidy.

Off to a different base next, but it's a really good story job now.

Just finished this. Absolutely loved it. I clocked 75 hrs roughly and did pretty much everything in the game - bandit camps, corrupted zones, cauldrons, collectables. I honestly thought it was an absolute joy to play. The combat was great - at least fighting against the machines was, humans not so much but still passable I guess. The story was engaging and seemed to flow at a decent pace. It was quite touching in places, especially at the beginning and near the end of the game.

Guerilla games really have achieved something special with this game. I was constantly amazed at how incredibly detailed the game's environments were. That a game could look this good on a native PS4 is credit to the technical ability of Guerilla and their Decima engine. If Hideo Kojima is using the same engine for Death Stranding then I think we can expect it to look pretty amazing too.

Also, I never felt the game waned or lost my interest at any juncture. There was always something worthwhile to do. Even the side quests were interesting and it's a clear a lot of love and care was put into making this game.

It's up there with The Witcher 3 as one of my favourite games of the last few years (and this generation). I would also probably say it's one of the best games on PS4 full stop and certainly the best exclusive.

Just did the bit where 

Aloy gets captured , has to get the behemoth to hit the pillars to drop your weapons. Cue cloud of dust and Aloy walks in .... and then out again tooled up .. fantastic . Then you take it down and just before corrupters are about to hit , Sylens rides in to rescue you.... drops a spear and three overidden ravagers appear . Grinned ear to ear at that

Proper Hollywood stuff! 

Quite how Eurogamer didn't even give this a recommended I will never know . It's a 10/10 for me . 

You might want to give that spoiler some context, i.e. it's The Terror of the Sun, which starts immediately after Deep Secrets of the Earth.

(Just using spoiler tags without giving any kind non-spoilery clue as to what part it is isn't much use for letting anyone work out if it's safe to read it or not ;):) )

But yes, it's fucking amazing, and I also fail to understand how Eurogamer went against the crowd and didn't give it an outstanding review.

That's made me want to check out the Eurogamer review again.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-02-19-horizon-zero-dawn-review

This is far, far from a bad game - it's enjoyable in its own way, and you're certainly never short of things to do. There are zip-lines to chase down, towers to climb, dialogue trees to wander through, items to craft and a tech tree to explore; it's an exhaustive checklist of every trope of the modern day open world game where every component is at the very least competent. The core combat and aesthetic of Horizon Zero Dawn have been placed in fine focus; the rest, though, is something of an indistinguishable blur.

Horizon Zero Dawn is a work of considerable finesse and technical bravado, but it falls into the trap of past Guerrilla games in being all too forgettable. For all its skin-deep dynamism it lacks spark; somewhat like the robotic dinosaurs that stalk its arrestingly beautiful open world, this is a mimic that's all dazzle, steel and neon yet can feel like it's operating without a heart of its own.

Yes, it does borrow a variety of things from a variety of other open world games, but it is far greater than the sum of its parts.

"indistinguishable blur"?

"all too forgettable"?

Fuck me. What a load of utter fucking shite :facepalm: