IGNORED

Horizon Zero Dawn

Nespresso

Clocked it. (Platinum too.)

End spoiler stuff:

Spoiler

I really liked the end part, meeting all your friends, checking in, gratuitous turret part then a decent but brief end boss battle that didn't rely on QTE. Nice.

As for the story, I really rate it. A true cut above a lot of game stories, told well, good characters, and an intriguing plot that opens up in just the right ways.

I really liked the ways it showed you little bits even if you miss them. How all the Nora settlements and God is an All-Mother, how others fetishised (and then worshipped) the Sun, why they become Braves and the like. How the metal flowers and Vantages are included. And a few characters that you only meet in holograms manage to stand out, as well. Herres and his shame, Travis and his dudebro stylings, The Abominable Ted Faro.

On the Faro front, I am assuming as many of you are that something of him (an AI, a clone, a frozen head) awoke HADES. What a cunt.

And I knew Sylens was shifty. Lieutenant Daniels is always shifty.

Brilliant game.

I haven't finished the game yet, but the forgettable comment from Eurogamer is strange. My wife was working in the office when I started playing the game and since then she's wanted to watch so she can follow the story. If I play it whilst she is out, I have to recap what's happened, if it were forgettable I'd find hard to do.

Erand is our favourite character. She's hoping he gets some DLC adventures with Aloy.

8 hours ago, Coltrane said:

The Eurogamer review is complete nonsense. HZD is anything but "forgettable". You can pretty much discount it considering the huge majority of otherwise glowing reviews.

Eurogamer in general has been shat down the toilet in recent years. 

Reviews are muddled and all over the place (I do like the new review system though). "Personality" driven Youtube content feature a bunch of cunts drivelling nonsense and baking cakes or some shit... and they're a loose cannon regarding spoilers. 

9 hours ago, Tezcatlipoca said:

That's made me want to check out the Eurogamer review again.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-02-19-horizon-zero-dawn-review

Yes, it does borrow a variety of things from a variety of other open world games, but it is far greater than the sum of its parts.

"indistinguishable blur"?

"all too forgettable"?

Fuck me. What a load of utter fucking shite :facepalm:

I just did the same thing after reading they didn't recommend the game. Reads like they're talking about a different game to the one I played. Very odd.

I miss playing HZD and Aloy :(

I don't get that sense of a different game from the EG review at all. It really closely reflects my early impressions of Horizon also. It is a tired, generic, template, with Ubisoft towers and bandit camps and collectables and pouch crafting upgrades and an RPG-lite levelling tree. A lot of HZD's characters are thinly drawn and nothing.

I'd suggest from the unusually-short (for Eurogamer) review length, and the lack of discussion about how the story opens up as you really approach the end, that maybe the reviewer didn't finish it. Or maybe simply wasn't as taken with it as I was.

But I agree with pretty much everything they wrote. I'd just also write more about the positives, I think.

Might be because HZD is similar to "comfort food". All well known and well done, but not BAZINGA NEW HYPERDIMENSIONAL MULTIOPENWORLD. They criticized the most fabulous serving of spare-ribs for not being nouveau cuisine enough. Which is fine, but kind of misses the point.

3 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

I don't get that sense of a different game from the EG review at all. It really closely reflects my early impressions of Horizon also. It is a tired, generic, template, with Ubisoft towers and bandit camps and collectables and pouch crafting upgrades and an RPG-lite levelling tree. A lot of HZD's characters are thinly drawn and nothing.

I'd suggest from the unusually-short (for Eurogamer) review length, and the lack of discussion about how the story opens up as you really approach the end, that maybe the reviewer didn't finish it. Or maybe simply wasn't as taken with it as I was.

But I agree with pretty much everything they wrote. I'd just also write more about the positives, I think.

I don't think Eurogamer disliked it so much as the individual reviewer. My 5 or 6 hours of it before the Switch and Zelda popped through the door where very Ubi though. Looking forward to going back to it after I rinse Zelda.

3 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

True, but the game is far more than the sum of those parts. I think the reviewer was just (understandably) burned out on the Ubisoft open world style template. Maybe the poor bastard had had to review several of those games in a row, and it soured the experience from the get-go so they just couldn't see the positives.

You do raise an interesting point regarding how they don't discuss the laudable storyline, as early on it does feel like 'well, I've seen this before' regarding the narrative. I thought it was an unwritten rule that reviewers had to complete every game they covered, for the same reason that literature or movie critics can't just give up halfway through. Probably the biggest thing that put me off becoming a games reviewer as a job, in fact!

I have to admit that Horizon took me a good amount of time to properly win me over, but in the end it really, really did. Reviewers, who have to play these things as a job maybe do not have that patience.

Maybe, God forbid, the reviewer never even finished it. Reading it, there is nothing at all to suggest they played through more than the first half a dozen hours.

I got back in yesterday and did the hunting trials. It was not as bad as I thought. Kinda wish I had done it earlier as it teaches you a fair bit I had not realised. Like that you can kill robots shooting log piles. Still having fun with it. Level 50 now.

I did a couple of quests that took me back to the eastern part of the map, so while I was there I decided to go on a bit of a sightseeing and souvenir collecting trip, and get all the vantage points/mugs/flowers/dolls from that side ticked off. While I was doing this I ended up back at the bunker up the mountain where the nuns live (not nuns but I can't remember what they're called), so I had a bit of a poke around, then when I came back down night had fallen and they'd closed the village gate, leaving me stranded on the path surrounded by unclimbable mountains on all sides. I had to wait for morning so I left Aloy standing there and went and emptied the dishwasher. When I came back it was light but they still hadn't opened the gate, so I ran up and down the path a couple of times and eventually when I came down it was open and I was free again!

I could have just restarted from the last save but that wouldn't have been right. In my version of the story master climber Aloy got stuck on the side of a mountain for a night because she stayed out past bedtime.

I'm now gradually making my way back to Meridian, picking up collectibles on the way, where I can move another couple of quests along before making my first foray into the wild west.

They've made this beautiful, detailed world and filled it with robot animals that you can fight, tame or set off fighting against each other, and loads of nooks and crannies to explore and little touches all over the place. Why would you want to just teleport past it all to get to the next destination? The journey is wonderful.

Has everyone else finished this, while I'm still wandering about on foot? Last night I did the quest in the far south-west, where you

infiltrate the Eclipse base, come face to "face" with Hades, and disable their Focus network.

Now I'm mopping up a few side quests and collectibles in the area before heading north to the final Tallneck and the Deep Secrets of the Earth. Did someone say that was the point of no return where I ought to get everything else I want done before going in?

Close to the end now.

Got Sylens Spear, uber armour and saved the game outside Meridian for the next quest.

Story is quite good, but its quite a slow burner at the start, only really kicking off after you leave the Sacred Lands, and go to Meridian, which is miles away. The characters are well animated, even the side-quest ones are pretty decent and no-one can deny its damn pretty looking overall.

I mentioned this to Gorf the other night, before I did "The Mountain that fell" mission, but I don't think we've seen the last of the Odyssey, despite the news it blew up. I don't think it did actually explode myself, and its possible that it could be a cover story. The reason I think this is because only 1 person came forward as being the "speaker" of the group of multi-millionaires behind the project, so we don't know who else was a part of this group. Could Ted Faro have been in on it? If so, why not fake the explosion? Also the Alpha version of Apollo could still be intact, as it was separate from Gaia, and of course the subordinate AI's, There are a number of possibilities with the Odyssey, and I hope they don't just throw the whole subplot away saying it exploded - the end.

Also, Ted tried to "reach out" to various spiritualist groups before the end. What was that all about? Maybe to get an understanding of what primitives would like in a "god" figure perhaps? Or was it something less complicated?

In any case, that Ted Farro. What a character, eh?

5 hours ago, Darren said:

Has everyone else finished this, while I'm still wandering about on foot? Last night I did the quest in the far south-west, where you

Reveal hidden contents

infiltrate the Eclipse base, come face to "face" with Hades, and disable their Focus network.

Now I'm mopping up a few side quests and collectibles in the area before heading north to the final Tallneck and the Deep Secrets of the Earth. Did someone say that was the point of no return where I ought to get everything else I want done before going in?

Nah man, I'm the same as you, no fast travelling for me! Too OCD for that. :) Prefer walking everywhere like a proper boss. Put about 45hrs into it and only just starting out at Meridian. Hahaha. Awesome game but it's been shelved for the time being due to Zelda and finally getting round to downloading Rez Infinite.....and Thumper.......and Fast Rmx........and Neo Geo stuff. Fuck's sake too many good games not enough time!!!

2 hours ago, catinthehat said:

Fast travel?  I can't even ride a mount for more than about 20 seconds without leaping off to pick up another bit of wood that I'll never use.

It took me about 40 hours of game time before I realised I had over 200 wood, blaze, chillwater and wire on my inventory so I stopped collecting them. 20 minutes and 3 battles later I didn't have enough stuff to even craft an arrow with a rubber suction head.

Don't be fooled by the ridiculous amount of basic items the world has scattered around. You need them. You need them all!!

8 hours ago, Mr Ben said:

Close to the end now.

Reveal hidden contents

Got Sylens Spear, uber armour and saved the game outside Meridian for the next quest.

Story is quite good, but its quite a slow burner at the start, only really kicking off after you leave the Sacred Lands, and go to Meridian, which is miles away. The characters are well animated, even the side-quest ones are pretty decent and no-one can deny its damn pretty looking overall.

Reveal hidden contents

I mentioned this to Gorf the other night, before I did "The Mountain that fell" mission, but I don't think we've seen the last of the Odyssey, despite the news it blew up. I don't think it did actually explode myself, and its possible that it could be a cover story. The reason I think this is because only 1 person came forward as being the "speaker" of the group of multi-millionaires behind the project, so we don't know who else was a part of this group. Could Ted Faro have been in on it? If so, why not fake the explosion? Also the Alpha version of Apollo could still be intact, as it was separate from Gaia, and of course the subordinate AI's, There are a number of possibilities with the Odyssey, and I hope they don't just throw the whole subplot away saying it exploded - the end.

Also, Ted tried to "reach out" to various spiritualist groups before the end. What was that all about? Maybe to get an understanding of what primitives would like in a "god" figure perhaps? Or was it something less complicated?

In any case, that Ted Farro. What a character, eh?

I did wonder something similar myself:

On 20/03/2017 at 20:34, Tezcatlipoca said:

ENDING SPOILERS AND SPECULATION:

Hide contents

(snip snip)

I did wonder if the generation ship, Odyssey, didn't really get destroyed after all (FAKE NEWS!), and it's sitting out there with a space-born civilisation of humans raised on the imperfect alpha build of APOLLO... And they want the Earth.