Horizon Zero Dawn

Nespresso

1 hour ago, SqueakyG said:

Still on my way to Meridian... and I was surprised to see a Thunderjaw on the way. I assumed that high-level enemies wouldn't spawn until I was high-level too -- but nope, there are Thunderjaw zones on the map. I just have to shit my pants and avoid them! No way could I take on a Thunderjaw.

I'm still struggling with combat when it comes to the medium-sized and large machines. I'm sure I'm doing it wrong because my arrows hardly do any damage and each fight takes ages. The game seems built for stealth with all the tripcaster and trap stuff, but once you get the first strike on a larger machine, it goes apeshit and calls its friends over, and then you're in a clusterfuck. And I don't handle that clusterfuck very well -- I panic and can't remember which arrows do which damage to which bodyparts. 

Pull up the machine catalogue / bestiary thing in your menu. Breaks down strengths and weaknesses for all of them as you find them. Try and get as much elemental damage on them as you can and when they burn or freeze they become susceptible to damage and will collapse like a sack of shit so try and get in close and shoot off their other components. 

Top tip, If they have a weapon (e.g. Ravager) try and shoot it off with a tearblast arrow (buy the sharpshot bow) and if you're quick you can pick it up and use it back on them for MASSIVE DAMAGE! Tearblast arrows are great for stripping off all of their various canisters and shields. 

Also, upgrade your override abilities and learn to set machines against each other. Getting the battle down to a 1v1is always a good move. 

The depth of the weapons and armour system revels itself as you get further into the game too. Unlocking the Tinker skill, getting purple weapons and actually being able to use the mods effectively makes each encounter a bit more strategic and fun.

Another essential tactic especially on Thunderjaws and Stormbirds is the Ropecaster. It sat in my inventory gathering dust for a huge part of the game until I managed to acquire a Shadow Ropecaster. It was a complete game changer and made even the toughest enemies a joy to fight and if anything actually put things a bit too much in my favour, haha. Shadow Ropecaster plus the ancient armour is Horizon's version of God Mode.

7 hours ago, glb said:

Felt this when running along a path and Aloy placed one step in a puddle, with appropriate audio to match. Little details that are inconsequential in isolation but make for a far more immersive world when considered as a whole.

Been saving for a 4K TV / PS4 Pro upgrade, this game is making me want to pull the trigger early...

I'm on 4K and I spend an inordinate amount of time every time I play just being stopped in my tracks by a sunrise coming over the mountains or the moonlight casting my shadow across a field of Lancehorns. I just end up getting baffled as to how the devs managed it, it’s mostly ‘just wow!’ but also a lot of ‘just how?’. Witcher 3 had these moments but I think HZD is the best looking game I’ve ever played, the world just leaves me speechless like nothing has before.

I think the HDR is a lot to do with it, it’s been a revelation in every game I’ve played which has support. I love when night comes and the landscape is cast with a blue green hue and you can pick out every detail with only the fireflies lighting up the long grass or the distant flames of a settlement guiding my way or fighting a stormbird atop a mountain during a blizzard and the mighty bird silhouettes against the fuzzy sun trying to burst the fog. It’s just glorious and thrilling. It looks amazing in 1080 but yeah, pull the trigger anyway, you know you’re gonna :)

I'm the same in how I can turn the camera and just get blown away by the scene I am met with. A big part of it is the new TV I have and Horizon being the first game to really showcase its benefits but even on the normal PS4 it runs smooth as silk and looks incredible.

Up until now the world that Red Dead Redemption built was the best open world I have ever experienced but Horizon now has that crown... at least for a few months anyway :) if RDR 2 can top Horizon then it will be truly special.

I feel quite churlish for bringing this up, but as I've spent over 100 hours on this so far I feel I'm entitled to make a minor cosmetic criticism. I've found a problem with the graphics! When you go swimming on a big flat open expanse of water (e.g. the big lake south of Sunfall on the far west of the map), the reflections don't match the skyline. I spotted it when I was swimming towards an island that apparently had no reflection at all. It's particularly noticeable if you're swimming when the light is changing at dawn or dusk, as the reflection doesn't keep up with the changes in the sky above.

Obviously this has no impact on the game itself but it's the only thing in all those 100 hours that's taken me out of the world and reminded me I'm running around in a simulated environment that occasionally glitches.

Still loving it, of course. I'm just heading back to the "Heart of the Nora" to find out a bit more about where Aloy came from, I suppose.

Oh and when I was wandering round picking up the last few collectables (I just have one vantage and one flower left, I think) I spent ages fighting and stealthing my way to a place in the far north that I think I wasn't meant to go to until later. I'm guessing it might be the setting for one of the last story quests or even the finale - if so, don't tell me!

It was a huge bunker in the side of a mountain with a bright light shining out through a massive hole. King's Fall or something like that? I found the name from the nearby Vantage. I could get quite close to the entrance but from what I could tell I couldn't get right up to it, and although the bunker icon appeared on the map it didn't "light up" or get a name, so I think it's just not "activated" yet.

8 hours ago, SqueakyG said:

Still on my way to Meridian... and I was surprised to see a Thunderjaw on the way. I assumed that high-level enemies wouldn't spawn until I was high-level too -- but nope, there are Thunderjaw zones on the map. I just have to shit my pants and avoid them! No way could I take on a Thunderjaw.

I'm still struggling with combat when it comes to the medium-sized and large machines. I'm sure I'm doing it wrong because my arrows hardly do any damage and each fight takes ages. The game seems built for stealth with all the tripcaster and trap stuff, but once you get the first strike on a larger machine, it goes apeshit and calls its friends over, and then you're in a clusterfuck. And I don't handle that clusterfuck very well -- I panic and can't remember which arrows do which damage to which bodyparts. 

I use the sling shot. Snapmaws shock them then go for the kill. Use your focus to highlight parts . Long legs go for the Brest plate. Hawks chest again then their explosion puts them in a frozen state.

I'm level 35 not took on a Storm bird yet. Took down 3 Thunderjaws but now even struggle with the rock worm one can't remember its name.

This game has it's hooks into me big time 40 hours plus which is unheard of for me might even go for my first Platinum.

Ok, is it just me or is the fact that the sling weapons arc goes further out the longer you hold R2 completely not obvious? Everytime I'd used it I was like "bloody hell that's short" and immediately pivot up to try and get it to hit something further out. Of course pivoting my view up means I can't even see the ground so had no idea the arc starts of really really short and then extends to a much more reasonable distance.. Bloody slings!

Not used the rattler or whatever it's called yet, is that good?

17 hours ago, KartoffelKopf said:

I'm on 4K and I spend an inordinate amount of time every time I play just being stopped in my tracks by a sunrise coming over the mountains or the moonlight casting my shadow across a field of Lancehorns. I just end up getting baffled as to how the devs managed it, it’s mostly ‘just wow!’ but also a lot of ‘just how?’. Witcher 3 had these moments but I think HZD is the best looking game I’ve ever played, the world just leaves me speechless like nothing has before.

I think the HDR is a lot to do with it, it’s been a revelation in every game I’ve played which has support. I love when night comes and the landscape is cast with a blue green hue and you can pick out every detail with only the fireflies lighting up the long grass or the distant flames of a settlement guiding my way or fighting a stormbird atop a mountain during a blizzard and the mighty bird silhouettes against the fuzzy sun trying to burst the fog. It’s just glorious and thrilling. It looks amazing in 1080 but yeah, pull the trigger anyway, you know you’re gonna :)

Now I'm itching to go for the upgrade, thanks for the feedback! Due to various circumstances won't be able to until mid-April, so thinking of pausing Horizon for a couple of weeks, and just clearing a couple of other games from my pile of shame. Got some Lego The Force Awakens DLC to clear, and Lego Jurassic World... hmmm, and some Lego to build. I... like... Lego? 

Leaving the game for even a short amount of time will be a wrench though. Gone from 'what's the fuss about' to 'shall I phone in sick today to play more?' in the space of 6 hours gameplay. Only last night got to the point where...

... you can take command of machines, and started riding around on a robot horse... for a moment felt pangs of Red Dead Redemption... 

Huge grin from ear-to-ear, now the fast travel system makes a lot more sense, don't think I'll use it much now. Actually only time I have was after schlepping across the map to an area that required climbing, only I hit the wrong button at the summit and forward-rolled off a cliff... pretty special... anyway, load took me back to pretty much the furthest point away possible at that point so I warped back closer to where I needed to be.

Once you get past that initial hour or so, the game just keeps adding layer after enticing layer. Add in the subtle detail and pretty compelling story and... well, as said I'm only six hours in, but it's already shown enough to know it will keep delivering for what I imagine will be around 50+ hours of gameplay, if not more because I intend to savour the journey ahead. And then there's Aloy; what a great character. She's vunerable when needed, and an utter badass when required.

Shucks, think the way this is shaping up Horizon New Dawn is well on its way to being my favourite game of this generation...

114 hours in now, and obviously last night, after Heart of the Nora the very next quest took me back up the mountain I prematurely climbed the night before. It was

Gaia Prime

but at least this time I knew what to expect on the way up. Sure enough at the top of the climb, after a cutscene that didn't trigger the first time up, was a rope ladder leading to

Sylens' workshop

that definitely wasn't there the night before. I loved all the recordings of the

kids growing up, and it was slightly heartbreaking when they got sent out into the world but without all the knowledge they should have had thanks to Faro's insane plan to wipe the slate clean. So Ted was responsible for the extinction, Elizabet ensured life could begin again but Ted doomed them to life in a new Dark Ages without the knowledge of the past. Flipping heck Ted, wasn't wiping out all life on earth enough?

And now I'm heading back to Meridian for what feels like the home stretch. I've still got one open side quest, one vantage and one flower to find, a load of tutorial quests still not touched (!), and two hunting lodges and several bandit camps still unvisited, so I want to try and get all of those done before the end.

13 hours ago, Alask said:

Ok, is it just me or is the fact that the sling weapons arc goes further out the longer you hold R2 completely not obvious? Everytime I'd used it I was like "bloody hell that's short" and immediately pivot up to try and get it to hit something further out. Of course pivoting my view up means I can't even see the ground so had no idea the arc starts of really really short and then extends to a much more reasonable distance.. Bloody slings!

Oh my god.  I had no idea.  I actually swapped out my slingshot for the roper thing last night, because I was getting fed up of launching slings blindly into the sky to try and get some distance on them.  I guess I should maybe do some of the weapon tutorials at some point.

And don't get me started on the roper (sorry, I forget what it's actually called).  I had 3 ropes on a Snapmaw last night, and it still charged and killed me.  Motherfucker.

41 minutes ago, catinthehat said:

Oh my god.  I had no idea.  I actually swapped out my slingshot for the roper thing last night, because I was getting fed up of launching slings blindly into the sky to try and get some distance on them.  I guess I should maybe do some of the weapon tutorials at some point.

And don't get me started on the roper (sorry, I forget what it's actually called).  I had 3 ropes on a Snapmaw last night, and it still charged and killed me.  Motherfucker.

Buy the shadow ropecaster Much more powerful

1 minute ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Tripcaster is good for Snapmaws. Or, you know, doing the relevant cauldron to get the override. ;)

Yeah Burn damage tripcaster on snapmaws is very useful.

Snapmaw is a machine I never felt the need to use a Ropecaster on. Their various weak spots are quite exposed so provided you can keep your distance then the best thing to do is hit those weak spots with tear / elemental arrows.

The Ropecaster was pretty much designed specifically for Thunderjaws, Glinthawks and Stormbirds as a decent caster will make battles with them completely different. It might take 6 or 7 well placed ropes (on the Glinthawk and Stormbird wings for example) to bring them down and you might have to repeat that cycle several times but its essential unless you are prepared for a lengthy battle. Even going for the length battle approach the combat is so much fun that it never feels like a chore and I have yet to engage in a battle with a big machine that has played out the same as another. There always seem to a twist with the location or another machine jumping in that forces me to change my approach. Its glorious!

There's no respec skill point option in this is there? I have skill point regrets... I keep getting beaten up and I can't help thinking I should have prioritised shooting 3 arrows at once as that's got to be a massive damage boost. 

Nope.

If it's any consolation, I didn't use my 2-arrow skill after the first time I tried it - just didn't like it. And I never used the 3-arrow one at all, even though I ended up unlocking it because you end up unlocking everything unless you skip content. So it's in no way necessary to winning the fights.

Yeah, I have pretty much got everything unlocked now at level 38 I think and have only now started using the triple arrows on occasion. It is actually really powerful provided you can land all 3 arrows on a weak spot but the arrows spread out the further away you fire from the target meaning you have to be in medium to close range to make it worthwhile.

Ugh, this is so fucking good. I need to go to bed but just can't stop playing. There's just so much to do, and none of its boring. 

Had some proper success with the Ropecaster tonight, now that I'm being less stingy with ammo. Just needed a few more ropes to hold stuff down properly. 

Red Dead is going to have to be amazing to beat this. Proper scared now. 

After only 125 hours I've finally reached the point of no return. Am I supposed to have the ancient armour by now? I found two power cells to get into the bunker but since then I've only found one more and I still need another two to unlock it. So instead of going to bed (in the game) I saved at the campfire in Meridian and went to bed (in real life). Apart from the cells there's still quite a lot I've not done - corruption zones, bandit camps etc. so i thought I'd better sleep on it and decide whether to press on to the end tomorrow. I really would like that armour for the upcoming events though, if possible.

7 minutes ago, Darren said:

After only 125 hours I've finally reached the point of no return. Am I supposed to have the ancient armour by now? I found two power cells to get into the bunker but since then I've only found one more and I still need another two to unlock it. So instead of going to bed (in the game) I saved at the campfire in Meridian and went to bed (in real life). Apart from the cells there's still quite a lot I've not done - corruption zones, bandit camps etc. so i thought I'd better sleep on it and decide whether to press on to the end tomorrow. I really would like that armour for the upcoming events though, if possible.

Yes, all the Power Cells can be found before "The Looming Shadow".

http://www.gosunoob.com/horizon-zero-dawn/power-cell-locations/

http://www.gosunoob.com/horizon-zero-dawn/ancient-armory-quest/

Spoiler

"Power cell #1 – Located in the ruins you fell into as a child

Power cell #2 – Womb of The Mountain mission

Power cell #3 – Maker’s End quest

Power cell #4 – The Grave-hoard quest

Power cell #5 – The Mountain That Fell mission"

I had cleared pretty much *everything* available before then, aside from collectibles and the hunting trials*. I think my final playtime at the end was 60something hours. If you've still got so much other stuff left, what have you been doing for 125 hours?! (OK, enjoying the sunsets while setting robot dinosaurs on fire, I guess! :D )

* (Once I've finished the story in an RPG / open world game I rarely have any motivation to continue to mop things up, so always try and do as much as I can before then.)

I've got all the collectables and done every side quest and errand I've found, apart from the hunting trials. Plus I've not fast travelled, hardly ridden anywhere, and most of the time I'm creeping around in crouched stealth mode. So most of my time has been spent slowly walking around. And it's been great!

I think i will finally fast travel back to those locations to find the other two cells though, especially as i can't remember where i found the ones I already have, so I'm going to be searching in some places where I've already found what I'm looking for...

7 hours ago, Darren said:

The ancient armour will help with what's to come ;)

I'm over thirty hours into this and only just figured out how to fast travel, craft my pouches and that I can use traps :lol: What a nob I am.

The game is just so bloody good, since learning about traps I have been taking on Thunderjaws, how exciting are those fights? 

37 minutes ago, suzzopher said:

I'm over thirty hours into this and only just figured out how to fast travel, craft my pouches and that I can use traps :lol: What a nob I am.

The game is just so bloody good, since learning about traps I have been taking on Thunderjaws, how exciting are those fights? 

Take on a thunderjaws with the Shadow Sharpshot bow and tearblast arrows. Its a revelation.