IGNORED

Horizon Zero Dawn

Nespresso

I've now broken two self imposed rules, for which I am truly sorry and seek the forum's forgiveness. I have fast travelled to the various power cell locations and I have used a guide to find them (thanks @Tezcatlipoca). I already had three, I've found one that I missed and now I'm up at

Gaia Prime

for the last one. Trouble is, from those instructions I can't see how to climb over to where it is. Oh well, I'll try again later. That ancient armour will be mine, oh yes, it will be mine.

hqdefault.jpg

Aaaand done. 127 hours on the clock and it's up there with my favourite games of all time. It's been years since I threw myself into a game like this, playing it every single day in every bit of spare time, which is a sign of just how much this grabbed me. Plus the whole spending 127 hours in four weeks mainly walking around and hiding in the long grass thing.

I've just bought the soundtrack and ordered the official guide (which isn't even out yet) just because I want to reward everyone involved as much as I can. I've got my eye on the art book too.

Now to go back and read all those story and ending impressions spoilers...

A truly magnificent game. Completed it the other day with everything done except a few tutorials, audio logs and the hunting grounds stuff. Clocked in at about 60 hours in two weeks.

It's quite simply a masterpiece and if it wasn't for Yakuza 0, it would most likely be my GOTY.

So far my top 5 favourite titles this gen would have to be:

Yakuza 0

Horizon 

Dying Light 

Onechanbara Z2 Chaos 

Nights of Azure

Hell, this isn't even the type of game I'd usually play, but after seeing everyone waxing lyrical about it I had to at least give it a shot.

How they got it to look so good is beyond me. As mentioned earlier in the thread, the attention to detail is amazing with things like Aloys voice echoing in certain environments really adding to it.

The stealth was pretty cool, and it was an awesome rush when you'd made it through a whole area rolling from bush to bush without being seen and then you get spotted and all of a sudden you're surrounded with seemingly no way out. Out comes the catapult with the ice bombs to buy me a couple of valuable seconds to roll away and change to arrows. Ping goes that bit of armour, focus mode enabled and there goes a canister! Have I got enough focus left to shoot the weak point? No! Roll, heavy attack, roll, roll, enter focus and pull off a well timed triple shot for massive damage!

Just a shame it was over so quickly.

So my brother picked up that ancient armour, and now I'm glad I didn't bother. I would have loved it if Aloy was just walking around in her Master Chief style exo-suit, instead just a bit of a glow around her.

The camera does this game zero favours at times. The cauldron fight with the big T-Rex bugger is so incredibly hit-and-miss because of it. There's moments when I'm loving it, but they're very few, and it's a bit bloody boring at times.

2 hours ago, Captain LeChuck said:

bemused-gif.gif

Have you even done that cauldron? It'd be another matter completely if the arena was anywhere near big enough to dodge the big shit, but it takes up most of the bloody area you fight in. I can get it down to about half health by using its tail weapon against it, but then you just end up getting ripped to shit by the sheer range of its tail attack.

Are you playing on Hard? On Normal it seemed reasonably straightforward. Tear off the launchers, tear off the tail, tear off the mouth cannons, use ropecaster to keep it static, use disc launchers to punish it, then attack the weak points on its flanks.

Not necessarily in that order. I'd agree the arena is tight, but it wasn't cripplingly so.

2 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

Are you playing on Hard? On Normal it seemed reasonably straightforward. Tear off the launchers, tear off the tail, tear off the mouth cannons, use ropecaster to keep it static, use disc launchers to punish it, then attack the weak points on its flanks.

Not necessarily in that order. I'd agree the arena is tight, but it wasn't cripplingly so.

The Tripcaster was also very useful for that fight.

On 01/04/2017 at 12:35, womblingfree said:

The conversation trees in this are rather pointless. Your choices are always 'normal' or 'idiot'. Would have liked some masochistic evil in there once in a while, ala Mass Effect trilogy.

One - very minor - criticism I have for the game is that Aloy is pretty arrogant in conversations. Lead characters nearly always have that problem of "I'm always right and I'm always perfect", but Aloy can be a bit judgemental and superior for such a young person adventuring into cultures she's never even met before.

I also have a suspicion that you can't get conversations 'wrong'. For example, in the choices where you can say something from the heart, the brain or the fist, I wonder if all choices turn out fine and Aloy always said the right thing. I wouldn't mind if you could 'fail' those... so the person says, "Thanks for finishing my quest, but you didn't have to condescend like an asshole. No awesome giftbox for you," and Aloy is left standing there like a plum.

I sort of agree . But as you make your way through the game you see that most people are arseholes . With a few exceptions . And I guess that would sort of come with the territory of a post apocalyptic dystopia. Plus of course , she spent her formative years as a shunned outcast, not allowed to even talk to people . So I can see why she just generally thinks the world is full of cunts who don't deserve any respect .

Aloy's the heroine so nothing wrong with her being a righteous justice bringer. It's just that it renders the conversation trees as basically text boxes you can choose to read in any order rather than having much purpose. Although I did spare someones life recently, so maybe there are some different paths to choose after all which effect gameplay.

To be fair, the resolution, lighting, design etc are like that all the time. But it doesn't actually look like that unless you turn off the HUD and spend countless hours replaying combat from wacky camera angles trying to capture the most cinematic clip possible. The maker of those gifs goes to a lot of effort to create great movement and framing (which will often go against fluency and ease of gameplay), and I'm sure 99% of the attempts they make to create an epic action vignette end up with nothing much to show.

It's a great game, and it's a testament to it that these things can be created anyway, but anyone who hasn't played it shouldn't expect a constant barrage of brilliantly-directed slo-mo action sequences like that. Much of the gifs' greatness is down to the work SunhiLegend puts in. It's he who makes the combat look like cutscenes.

It's not just the action though. Simply reaching a new viewpoint or stumbling across an area filled with machines that you haven't seen before is just as impressive as anything the combat has to offer. For me there isn't a single aspect of the visuals that doesn't raise the bar for console games!