Horizon Zero Dawn

Nespresso

Finally killed that bellowback, I wish I had read SqueakyG's tips beforehand. I didn't think to set off traps before the fight. Also thought tripcasters were only for between objects/walls. Also what saved me is that I discovered that you can craft health within the menu so was able to keep going.

Did the 'bow' errand and killed a sawtooth but I needed to collect something from it and it had somehow died between 3 other Sawtooths. Thankfully I have pretty good stealth costume and was able to get to it before running like a maniac. Now I'm out of side quests and errands, problem is I can't remember any settlement names to know where to get more. 

Questions,

1) now that I can 'corrupt' certain new machines, can you only do that by sneaking up on them? or can you just run up to an attacking one and do it? 

2) Those corrupt areas, do you just have to kill them or is there more to it?

1. You can only override a machine if you remain undetected - lure them to you with a whistle.

2. Corrupted areas are basically optional areas to clear , but all the machines will be corrupted; ie. you can't override them.

I'm really missing playing this since finishing it a few weeks ago.

I bought the (lovely, massive) guide book which amongst other things includes an optimal run-though order to ensure you see and do absolutely everything. Am I crazy to be thinking of starting all over again for another go/Platinum trophy attempt?

6 hours ago, SqueakyG said:

I spent most of the game over-levelled, so most of the couldrons were a little underwhelming... but the first one was a bitch. The bellowback was really tough. Knock the game down to Easy for this. The advice is to take care of the patrolling watchers first (they didn't respawn for me), then trap the whole area as much as possible before you activate the switch that sets off the bellowback. You can use all the different types of bombs in your D-pad inventory, plus tripwires.

One thing I didn't realize until stupidly late is that you can set tripcaster wires anywhere - shoot at two points on the ground. I spent most of the game thinking you could only shoot wires between two objects! I also spent most of the game carefully avoiding my own traps, without realizing they are safe for Aloy! She can walk right through her own tripwires.

Yup, in the end I was just shooting the wire in front of its feet while running, shock it, getting a Critical Hit in, rinse, repeat. Went pretty quickly after figuring that out and hitting dodge whenever the exclamation stars turned up (and keeping your distance because after hitting, because that fireblast is really nasty). Didn't know Aloy doesn't connect with the wires! That would've been great to know earlier. :D

I'm impressed with how they've set up the finale...

by somehow removing the urgency of starting the final mission. I'm always torn between pushing through til the end or trying to finish up side missions and other things. The whole "we're not sure when the attack is coming, I guess you've got some time" thing is so simple, but it really worked for me.

I only picked this up last weekend because of Andromeda, and like a few others, wanted to play it on a Pro, which I now have. It's been an incredible experience from start to finish really, the confidence in that opening really pays off, as the rest of the game is all the better for it. I've been in awe of the visuals at every turn, but nearly everything in the game is so refined i've just been completely blown away by it.

So many interesting DLC opportunities, too.

2 minutes ago, JoeK said:

I'm at a complete loss as to why this hasn't got its hooks into me. In theory it has absolutely everything I want, yet it just doesn't do it for me... It's really annoying.

It's because the lead is a ginger. It's a well know scientific fact that they don't have souls and thus, you find it hard to empathize and connect with her.

Just now, Scruff said:

It's because the lead is a ginger. It's a well know scientific fact that they don't have souls and thus, you find it hard to empathize and connect with her.

That's definitely not it. Redheads are a particular fave of mine!

4 minutes ago, Scruff said:

Speaking as a soulless ginger tosser, that might explain why I loved it so much. Or would, were I capable of love. :D

Finished it a couple of nights back and have no motivation to play anything else, despite still having the Witcher 3 expansions to get stuck into.

Might have to read books until the DLC drops...

9 minutes ago, Scruff said:

You've been spoilt by GOTY Andromeda?

:o 

I think it's possibly got something to do with that, but not because of the game...More to do with it being that PC gaming is more where I tend to be! By contrast, spending any quality time with the PS4 is remarkably harder!

Finished it. Found it pretty mIddle of the road apart from the graphics, which kept me going because it was a wonder to behold sometimes.

Perhaps I would have thought it better if I hadn't played Zelda. The comparisons are inevitable and HZD doesn't come out of it that well.

re: end boss 

Spoiler

If hades had activated the bio harvesting dolphin munching nano machines and was a super powered AI that factors in everything, why didnt it just turn them on Aloy instead of using gun turrets which she has repeatedly been shown to overcome every single time. Useless.

Voice acting and plot quite reminiscent of Battlefield Earth with John Travolta.

1 hour ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Zelda must be fucking incredible then.

It is, but as Gorf has pointed out before, the only thing they have in common is that they're both open world. Zelda is an adventure with an emphasis on exploration, while Horizon is more of a story-driven action game, set in an open world. They're both good at what they set out to do.

Level 9 now, anything else to do in the first area?

Spoiler

I have visited the ruin, collected the power cell & other audio log files etc, completed errand & 2 side missions.

17 hours ago, JoeK said:

I'm at a complete loss as to why this hasn't got its hooks into me. In theory it has absolutely everything I want, yet it just doesn't do it for me... It's really annoying.

If it's any consolation, I was in exactly the same boat a week ago but since I came here and talked to people about it I've found some joy in it again. Might be a different story for you though, i.e with me it was partly to do with difficulty (not feeling in control) but also the menus that can be overwhelming even after several hours. Anyway, the key advise for me was to not rush ahead and go back to the start areas, experimenting with my tools on low level enemies.

It still hasn't quite got its hooks into me but at least now I'm getting some enjoyment out of it. I'm mostly pushing forward based on the response from others on the overall game. 

2 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Well, yeah.

I think it's quite logical to compare two flagship 3rd person openworld looting and crafting RPGs on competing platforms.

They are very different games, BotW is a traditional Zelda game in a completely open sandbox with a focus on exploration and discovery. Horizon is a narrative driven open world RPG with a focus on combat . Something being "open world" does not automatically mean they bare comparison to other open world games, in the same way all "sports" games don't bare comparison.

And I dont think Switch and PS4 are competing, more complimentary.

16 minutes ago, gospvg said:

Level 9 now, anything else to do in the first area?

Hide contents

I have visited the ruin, collected the power cell & other audio log files etc, completed errand & 2 side missions.

Don't stress, just play through it ; you won't miss anything, so long as you buy maps when available and you visit each settlement. It's all pretty obvious on the map.

1 hour ago, PeteBrant said:

Don't stress, just play through it ; you won't miss anything, so long as you buy maps when available and you visit each settlement. It's all pretty obvious on the map.

Not seen any at the first trader, guess they will appear later in the game?

Won't be playing it this evening, got the weekly Division session today & tomorrow. So will carry on with the main quest on Thursday.

The one advantage of staying in the first area for a while was I got familiar with the combat mechanics & also have increased my material carrying limit to 70. 

5 hours ago, PeteBrant said:

They are very different games, BotW is a traditional Zelda game in a completely open sandbox with a focus on exploration and discovery. Horizon is a narrative driven open world RPG with a focus on combat . Something being "open world" does not automatically mean they bare comparison to other open world games, in the same way all "sports" games don't bare comparison.

I think you can definitely compare them. I know this because I played them both and then I did.

To be fair, you did also compare the plot to that of Battlefield Earth, which is a bit odd because their similarities are superficial at best. As to your spoiler question about the game's ending:

Spoiler

Well, obviously the nano machines have just begun being released as the final fight is beginning, but only in the last minutes of the game, and as we know from history it takes those nano machines quite a while to munch up the Earth - it took them many months last time. And there's no Faro machine present in the immediate area in which Aloy fights Hades, hence no nanites. So why does it summon one of its own-manufactured machines instead, and not one of them? Because it controls the machines it has produced. It does not control the Faro swarm - it merely sends a signal to activate them, wherever they are. They predate it and are not in its command - all it has the power to do is reactivate them, no more.

I do find the Battlefield Earth comparison a bit weird on this account as well - in that story, ancient man-made technology is mankind's saviour, specifically the technology of weapons. With it they defeat a conquering alien army - in particular, its home world. In this story, it's the man-made weapon technology that destroyed the human race, and threatens to do so again. The bad guys there are aliens, the good guys humans. Here, there are no aliens at all. It's humans who are the bad guys, and technology the enabler of destruction, not the saviour. (Aloy's use of the focus is a necessary counterpoint, but the defeat of the machines is ultimately accomplished by primitive tribes and their own lo-tech weapons.) It's also a bit odd given the scientological leanings of Hubbard's story, where HZD is clearly centred on the need to not follow leaders and hokey religions. I'm also not sure where the VA comparisons come from, because I didn't catch a whiff of John Travolta in Ashly Burch's performance, nor thematically much of the feminist flavouring in Travolta's search for his long-lost mother. Of all the post-apocalyptic sci-fi films to compare it to - and there are many - this one seems a bit odd.

18 minutes ago, Gorf King said:

To be fair, you did also compare the plot to that of Battlefield Earth, which is a bit odd because their similarities are superficial at best. As to your spoiler question about the game's ending:

Hide contents

Well, obviously the nano machines have just begun being released as the final fight is beginning, but only in the last minutes of the game, and as we know from history it takes those nano machines quite a while to munch up the Earth - it took them many months last time. And there's no Faro machine present in the immediate area in which Aloy fights Hades, hence no nanites. So why does it summon one of its own-manufactured machines instead, and not one of them? Because it controls the machines it has produced. It does not control the Faro swarm - it merely sends a signal to activate them, wherever they are. They predate it and are not in its command - all it has the power to do is reactivate them, no more.

I do find the Battlefield Earth comparison a bit weird on this account as well - in that story, ancient man-made technology is mankind's saviour, specifically the technology of weapons. With it they defeat a conquering alien army - in particular, its home world. In this story, it's the man-made weapon technology that destroyed the human race, and threatens to do so again. The bad guys there are aliens, the good guys humans. Here, there are no aliens at all. It's humans who are the bad guys, and technology the enabler of destruction, not the saviour. (Aloy's use of the focus is a necessary counterpoint, but the defeat of the machines is ultimately accomplished by primitive tribes and their own lo-tech weapons.) It's also a bit odd given the scientological leanings of Hubbard's story, where HZD is clearly centred on the need to not follow leaders and hokey religions. I'm also not sure where the VA comparisons come from, because I didn't catch a whiff of John Travolta in Ashly Burch's performance, nor thematically much of the feminist flavouring in Travolta's search for his long-lost mother. Of all the post-apocalyptic sci-fi films to compare it to - and there are many - this one seems a bit odd.

Re spoiler spoiler:

Spoiler

The nano machines didn't need to munch up the entire earth straight away, just the one person, Aloy, who was about to ruin everything. There was definitely a faro machine in the area, it's the end of game boss. It's the deathbringer machine.

As for your media studies critique on the differences between Horizon and Battlefield Earth, I think you're taking a glib offhand comment a bit too seriously.

The Battlefield earth setting comparison was because the earth has gone to shit and all the humans are living like primatives.  Oh yeah, and the acting was generally pretty awful. That's it, mate. Unfortunately I haven't seen a film with the exact same plot to directly compare it to, sorry.

If it helps, though Aloy wouldn't be John Travolta in this very non-specific analogy, she'd be Barry pepper the caveman. Burch's performance was alright, most of the others were quite bad.

I didn't do 'media studies', but thanks for the compliment. I've just watched a few films over the years and I thought this was nothing like Battlefield Earth. Earth going to shit and people living lo-tech is the staple of every single post-apoc film that exists, and there are shitloads of those. You just happened to pick one that's nothing like this, except I think you did so just because it's a shit film and you're on a glib comment spree. That aside though, did you honestly think the VA was all crap apart from Aloy? I'm surprised if you did. I thought Erend, Teersa, the King, Helis, Ted Faro, Sobeck... loads of the cast had strong voice acting. (This is the bit where I ask what film you thought the BotW voice acting was most like in your comparison of the titles... but let's not get into trading glib comments, eh?)

On the spoiler stuff: 

Spoiler

There are tons of 'modern' deathbringers in the game. This one's corrupted, so it's stronger than usual, but it's just a deathbringer, which some people have criticised the game for - they expected a bigger, more difficult last boss fight. I think that's fair enough as a criticism really. But I guess the devs didn't want you to fight an ancient Faro robot for the exact reason you describe - the game might be over in seconds, because it'd just release the nano shit and you'd be dead. So quite consistently, they have Hades summon a corrupted death bringer - and several other corrupted machines, all of which we've seen before - because they are under his control. You can see they're corrupted by the visual effects, so it's pretty obvious they're not Ted Faro's babies just unearthed. Now, I might have that wrong, but that's the way it seemed to me.

Like I say, some people expected something more dramatic than that, but it's pretty consistent with the story in terms of what Hades can control and what he can't, plus in gameplay terms having Aloy wiped out at the end by the Faro plague would be less than satisfying - and we are basically told you can't win against these things with massive military hardware, so what chance would a girl with a bow and arrow stand? So what they've done makes perfect sense to me if I'm thinking about it fairly.

The Sun king was weak, errand was weak, his mate the one you meet with the focus who stitches you up was terrible. I executed him and he met his fate with all the worry of a man being told his hairdresser was putting prices up. Faro was ok. The trailer trash coder grated a bit. 

The extras and the war chief of the Nora (the most hatable post-apocalyptic tribe in existence) was cringe inducing, as were her mates. The issue is that most of them sounded too well spoken for grizzled fighters. 

Rast (aka pedo dad), was hugely irritating for a similar reason. He's been an outcast and living like a hobo but talked like a weary geography teacher.

Sobec was pretty good but I didn't think I'd have to specify the same voice actor twice.

The reason I quoted Battlefield Earth was because it is not renowned for being oscar winning stuff and it has crusty cavemen talking bollocks. 

In a world of Naughty Dog and Rockstar, it just didn't stand up. Yes, I know the story of Uncharted and Grand Theft Auto V isn't the same as Horizons.

Well, you can't really argue the case about acting, I suppose - it's fairly subjective. But I honestly don't know why you thought some of them were weak. Erend in particular gave a really convincing, quite amusing performance I thought. No idea about why a leader of grizzled fighters can't be well-spoken - have you ever met a British Army officer? And why is Rost a 'pedo dad'? Like, eh? Just don't get where you're coming from on this at all.

29 minutes ago, Gorf King said:

Well, you can't really argue the case about acting, I suppose - it's fairly subjective. But I honestly don't know why you thought some of them were weak. Erend in particular gave a really convincing, quite amusing performance I thought. No idea about why a leader of grizzled fighters can't be well-spoken - have you ever met a British Army officer? And why is Rost a 'pedo dad'? Like, eh? Just don't get where you're coming from on this at all.

A leader of a team of grizzled fighters who are living like savages a 1,000 years after the destruction of (nearly) all life on Earth, that is. I can't argue the accuracy of course BECAUSE IT ISN'T real but I didn't think it fit in the context. It was clunky.

Just thought Rost was very creepy. Did we ever find out why he got banished?

I hope my dislike of some of the game hasn't ruined it for you. I found the extras - randoms wandering around town and the wilds - even worse. And some of the side quests.

"oh no a couple of men got murdered at the quarry could I sound less enthused."

I guess you haven't explored around or listened much, given how much you took in. But yes, they explain Rost's situation in overly-long detail at one point. It didn't make a lot of sense as a tale, and made the Nora people seem even sillier than before. But I think it's reasonable that the people have articulate well-spoken English: their ancestors were taught by the hologram AIs.

I liked Erend's character a lot. The rest mostly, I liked the world and lore better.