Horizon Zero Dawn

Nespresso

For those naughty people like me who bought the PS4 version on the PS5, what will happen at midnight or whenever? Will it automatically start downloading the PS5 version? Do we have to go to the store page? Do we get it from the title screen of the game?

Just now, Capwn said:

For those naughty people like me who bought the PS4 version on the PS5, what will happen at midnight or whenever? Will it automatically start downloading the PS5 version? Do we have to go to the store page? Do we get it from the title screen of the game?

Same as with a PS+ title: you'll be able to claim/add to library the PS5 version. Then proceed as normal. It won't do anything automatically as you've bought a PS4 version and the PS5 version is treated as 'bonus content'.

2 hours ago, Capwn said:

Wrong Horizon game thread!

Finished this the other day, and whilst I didn't do any side content, I felt like I had a good experience. The story is belting, and was really impressed with the voice performances. Heard the performances are a step up in FW, and it has incredible underwater stuffs, so on my list. Want to finish the Frozen Wilds first, but no doubt will be playing this real soon! 

I’ve never played this but want to play Horizon 2 so I’ve just finished watching radbrad run through the whole game. 20 episodes but a hell of a lot quicker than me playing it myself and I now know the complete story going into the new game… 

I'm an hour or so into this now. The rain effects sure look nice but I can't help but feel that maybe they should have forced the weather to stay nice while you are getting used to the world. Its a small complaint but I didn't like having to go wait in the grass until things brightened up so it was easier to see what I was doing. 

Finally got around to finishing the DLC the past few evenings in order to prepare for Forbidden West. Overall its a good DLC, more of the same with a nice little story and side quests. The environment is gorgeous and there are a number of new, rock hard machines to contend with. I ended up nearly 100%ing it, like the main game, and probably took me about 20-25 hours.

I played most of the original game on Ultra Hard and kept it on that for the DLC. However the DLC's badly balanced on Ultra Hard and some of the encounters are incredibly hard and frustrating. Two fights just put you in an arena against multiple of the hardest enemies which can kill you in one or two hits and have both close and hard to avoid ranged attacks. In the end through perseverance I managed to win with the help of fully upgraded armour and the new weapons. Another issue on Ultra Hard is a big lack of resources, especially Blaze which you need to make explosives. I had to farm a lot of animals for fatty meat to make potions, which was tedious - its annoying that in the game I have over 100 of the other meats but you need fatty meat to finish a potion and the drop from animal kills isn't guaranteed. I'd maybe suggest sticking on Very Hard or Hard for this one.

The quality of writing, visual design and characters is just as strong as the main game. The Banur are an interesting people and even the side quests have more memorable and personality than anything I saw in the whole of Dying Light 2. The animation in the cutscenes continue to impress. I can only imagine what a step up Forbidden West will be.

I was completionist with the DLC and the main game but honestly its a grind to get all the collectables, explore every area, do every side quest, trial and so on. I hear Forbidden West is much the same. I think for that game I will stick more to the quests and side quests and contain myself from ticking everything off the list.

Overall I would definitely recommend the DLC, its more of the same but when the same is good, that's fine. I wouldn't say its essential, and the story doesn't add much to the overall plot, although its cool to learn about another tribe.

Had another sesh on this tonight and still really enjoying it, I’ve started to accept that the combat can be long and tactical and with that it’s really made it lots of fun to play as before I think I was trying to rush and not really think about how to fight!

Not sure how far I am but fully intend to finish this and then pickup the sequel - having much more fun with this than my actual PS5 games (R&C and Spidey)

After taking a quick look at gamefaqs I think I am a little less than halfway through the main quest line and almost three quarters of the way through the side missions/ errands. 

Last thing I did was beat the rockbreaker in the quarry. I ended up cheesing it as I had taken the "wrong" route into the quarry and crawled under the fence to get in. Quickly realised the easy way to beat the mission was to go outside the fence again and just chip away at its health with hardpoint arrows. Cowardly but effective. 

Just finished this, not a sentence I thought I would ever say after my first couple of tires at playing this game!

I think the game was generally very good, flawed but the combat almost made up for the issues and while I’m not really a fan of story telling in the game much like the latest GOW game I quite enjoyed the general story of this and. Thats pretty high praise for me.

I actually thought the end boss was a bit cheap and an anti climax to be honest, infact the whole last bit wasnt great but I do want to go back into the world an mop up some quests - I’m well over 40 hours in and can see myself putting many more in if I hold off on buying the sequel - have the DLC to do also.

I'm within touching distance of finishing off the main story in this but I want to mop up the hunters lodge challenges first. I need one more power cell for the ancient armour side quest which should be in the next story mission and than that'll be all the sidequests finished. 

I'm not sure if I'll go straight to the DLC or give it a break once I'm finished.

On 14/03/2022 at 13:13, bear said:

I'm within touching distance of finishing off the main story in this but I want to mop up the hunters lodge challenges first. I need one more power cell for the ancient armour side quest which should be in the next story mission and than that'll be all the sidequests finished. 

I'm not sure if I'll go straight to the DLC or give it a break once I'm finished.

I would have a break, I was going to do the DLC and move onto the new game but have to say the last bit was so underwhelming that when I went back into the world I lacked the motivation to actually do anything - I started to have a lot of negative thoughts on it so decided to move onto something else and come back to it.

Genuinely think this is a very good game and want to play the DLC and sequel and enjoy them. 

Yeah I think I left it too late between plays (I only played the DLC when the complete edition was given away for free) and I sucked for quite a while as I found my feet, the 

Spoiler

bears

ate me alive. Proper top tier nastiness there. 

• 6 months later...

Part of me thinks that there is a wee bit of first-party production wheel spinning going on atm, and with the pandemic & chip shortage, I think it’s understandable. 

That’s for both Xbox & PlayStation. You’d want these expensive to produce games hitting the biggest audience possible, and as you still can’t just walk into a Tesco and buy a machine, this seems to be the way for a while. Cross-gen or remasters. 

As both machines are totally backwards compatible, I’m totally fine with it atm! It would be an entirely different thing if they weren’t. 

Anyway, HZD remaster ain’t for me as I’ve finish it twice already, but I can appreciate if I was a new PS5 user, you’d have both games looking and playing their best. 

Must be depressing if you spent a few years developing the original (and possibly the sequel and the PC port) and you were roped into a remaster this soon afterwards. All of that work and crunch to have Jim Ryan ask for better lighting, etc. five years later, instead of moving on to new projects.

11 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:

Must be depressing if you spent a few years developing the original (and possibly the sequel and the PC port) and you were roped into a remaster this soon afterwards. All of that work and crunch to have Jim Ryan ask for better lighting, etc. five years later, instead of moving on to new projects.

Disagree, as mentioned in the TLOU thread their next game will be in pre-production which will require far fewer people in a smaller team to design and prototype it. I imagine guerrilla games as a big studio that want to keep their talent and don't want to rely on contractors... so all those environment artists and all those testers all get to keep their jobs and imediately work on a new project that's familiar to what they've just done. No need to relearn your workflow. 

So rather than having a contractor-dependant production nightmare of a studio, you have honed talent that they want to keep and the by-product is a remaster of an older game that no one is forcing you to buy.   

A remaster would be a good chance to make the game they actually wanted to make.

For a start getting rid of all the conversations where characters just stare each other down and replacing them with fully animated scenes like in The Frozen Wilds and Forbidden West.

8 minutes ago, Dig Dug said:

A remaster would be a good chance to make the game they actually wanted to make.

For a start getting rid of all the conversations where characters just stare each other down and replacing them with fully animated scenes like in The Frozen Wilds and Forbidden West.

This. Obviously. 

Still, I really hope they will leave the combat alone. FW’s combat was far less enjoyable to me than ZD’s.