rllmuk
Opinionated Ham Scarecrow

Xbox One backwards compatibility - It's finished. No more releases.

Why would you buy a disk copy of Prince of Persia or Black anyway? Surely a digital copy is cheaper and more convenient.

Just now, K said:

Why would you buy a disk copy of Prince of Persia or Black anyway? Surely a digital copy is cheaper and more convenient.

well, now is is, obviously...

17 minutes ago, SeanR said:

well, now is is, obviously...

Bing rewards, baby. It just paid for half of digital Kotor for me.

Do these Xbox One Xbox Originals come with their respective DLC or are they still locked out due to having to download them from a now defunct iteration of Xbox LIVE?

24 minutes ago, DogEyedBoy said:

Do these Xbox One Xbox Originals come with their respective DLC or are they still locked out due to having to download them from a now defunct iteration of Xbox LIVE?

Kotor didn’t have Yavin station in the ‘manage game’ section, it might be included in the initial download, I haven’t got that far yet though.

For anyone that's playing KOTOR, has this fixed the awful frame rate problems it had on the Xbox?

9 minutes ago, APM said:

For anyone that's playing KOTOR, has this fixed the awful frame rate problems it had on the Xbox?

Yes, it greatly improves on the frame rate of the original Xbox version, and the absolutely atrocious performance of the Xbox 360 backwards compatibility version.

• Upvote 2

The BC stuff Microsoft are doing continues to amaze me, it must be an absolutely staggering amount of work. How does Prince of Persia look on the Bone? I seem to recall the hazy, bloomy CRT look being a core part of the visuals - the whole thing has a dreamy, lush quality that (in my head, anyway) doesn't quite mesh with a 4K resolution. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Nate Dogg III said:

Never played KOTOR but sorely tempted.

You are so lucky. It's probably going to feel quite dated after recent RPGs, but I'd say it's the original benchmark for this sort of thing.

• Upvote 2

Just now, K said:

The BC stuff Microsoft are doing continues to amaze me, it must be an absolutely staggering amount of work. How does Prince of Persia look on the Bone? I seem to recall the hazy, bloomy CRT look being a core part of the visuals - the whole thing has a dreamy, lush quality that (in my head, anyway) doesn't quite mesh with a 4K resolution. 

I got the PC version a few years back and it doesn't feel right when it's that sharp, no. I think it's a game that's best left in our memories, personally. 

7 hours ago, jamesy said:

Is Dead to Rights worth a bash?  Always wanted to play that game around the time it came out.

Hells to the yeah. :)

Loved it back in the day. How it's held up I can't tell you, but I remember it as a solid third person shooter / brawler, with added dog. I hope the sequel makes it over too, that was a dumb as hell arcade shooter which took pure adrenaline to finish. Ahh, how I miss these simpler days of straight ahead action games. I've resolved to pick up an Xbox One this Christmas, partially because of the excellent BC support. Already ordered a shed load of exclusives to catch up on, but yeah, be sooo tempted to make Black or indeed, Dead To Rights the first game I stick on. Fair play to MS, they're supporting their console really well.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Nate Dogg III said:

I got the PC version a few years back and it doesn't feel right when it's that sharp, no. I think it's a game that's best left in our memories, personally. 

...or like when I play it, which is a PS2 hooked up to a 21” CRT via RGB as god intended. 

28 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

...or like when I play it, which is a PS2 hooked up to a 21” CRT via RGB as god intended. 

Ah yes, sure. I don't have a CRT, though. I fear I might find it quite saddening on a 4K display. 

Without being over dramatic, what microsoft have done here is a pretty significant moment in gaming. For years and years, the true value of games as 'art' has been questioned, with one of the questions being the lack of permanence of games. What microsoft have done is take 15 year old games and made them have permanence without a massive need for re-work. It is staggering to me that we can experience the likes of NGB at their absolute finest, using the same discs that we used 15 years ago. It really gives me hope that games from today will still be able to be easily appreciated by future generations just like music has been for our generation.

I didn't really get NG back when it came out and I am really glad that I now have the opportunity to experience it again, in all it's original glory, on a current generation console without the need for a re-release/remaster/re-make and all the crap that comes with them.

• Upvote 8

Echoing the sentiments re Ninja Gaiden Black. It look pretty amazing tbh.

If they get Outrun 2 & C2C, Burnout 2 & 3 and Psi Ops on here with the same level of visual polish I shall do a happy wee :)

Well, crap. Couldn't actually use the $5 on my account to pay for this. Tried using the XB1, Windows 10 Xbox app, Windows 10 store, and the website. What's going on with that?

Oh well, Kotor is downloading! Aw yeah.

5 hours ago, Nate Dogg III said:

Ah yes, sure. I don't have a CRT, though. I fear I might find it quite saddening on a 4K display. 

I’d massively recommend getting one. You can score a 21” Sony Trinitron for not much and it really is the best display for retro stuff. Zero lag too. 

2 hours ago, TehStu said:

Well, crap. Couldn't actually use the $5 on my account to pay for this. Tried using the XB1, Windows 10 Xbox app, Windows 10 store, and the website. What's going on with that?

Oh well, Kotor is downloading! Aw yeah.

You need to buy OG/360 games on a 360 to use your credit. They really need to fix this.

1 hour ago, Super Craig said:

You need to buy OG/360 games on a 360 to use your credit. They really need to fix this.

Crud. Yeah, they do, because I don't have either of them connected up any more, largely because of BC. That there is stupid.

I spent last night getting to exactly the same point in PoP that'd I'd got to in the previous 14 years, following the release of the game 28 October 2003.

Around the 7% mark.

And then I played Black up to the same level that I'd been stuck in since it's release 24 February 2006. The 3rd level, still in the cemetary, before the city (Naszran), which is where I got stuck last time I played it.

I didn't have time to try Crimson Skies.

[edit]

If I had to buy one other game on the list, that isnt NGblack, what would you recommend?

Edited by SeanR

21 minutes ago, Flub said:

Kotor

See, I borrowed kotor on PC, back in the day, got as far as returning to my ship, and thought nothing more of it, then when I started the first mass effect I noted the similarities, despite enjoying the ME series, I never went back to it.

and now I've missed the boat...

[edit]

bought digital, £8.99 from xbox.com, that's £2 cheaper than the music magpie version on ebay. I'll crack on with that. (and then complete ME3... and then get MEA)