IGNORED

Xbox One backwards compatibility - Lots of new releases!

Downloaded my games today, the Rare ones plus worms and geometry wars, Perfect Dark just seems all horrible now, had over 100 hours on it on the N64.... Nostalgia just not what it was, still gonna buy Rare Replay obvs.

Hoping for COD4... The greatest COD multiplayer there ever was.

Anyone having save related issues?

I booted up my 360 and transferred my saves from the HD to the cloud which all went smoothly but Super Meat Boy on the one doesn't see the save at all (though it has some of my leaderboard times) and Mass Effect sees the saves but can't load them saying "selected save game data could not load, dlc missing from from xbos, modules in question, bring down the sky [ENPLES]"

I'm guessing from that it's because of the DLC (I popped the disk into my one and it said it couldn't play it / it wasn't supported) but even trying to load my very first save (that I stuck onto the cloud from my 360) from less than an hr into the game which is way before I played any of the DLC still doesn't work. Any ideas?

Oh and COD2 for me, maybe I'll not enjoy it when / if I get to play it through again but I loved it first time round finishing it on veteran which was bloody rock hard!!

Whatever they are using isn't a standard approach as the underlying hardware would fall over in the equivalent low-spec PC, which does demonstrate the power of closed-boxed hardware versus a PC I suppose.

I think it demonstrates what a full-time team can achieve compared to a few amateur hobbyists.

My Mass Effect is a classics version with a second disc with all the dlc on it. The One wouldn't accept this disk, so does that mean i have to/can download it all separately?

You may need to wait until they launch properly. There's some indications that they're only accepting certain disks for now.

I do suspect that DLC from a disc like that might be an issue, unless when you install it, it is then tied to your account and then can be downloaded again from the store? I don't know if they would allow that due to aforementioned disc sharing issues

Can anyone guide me on how to get disc based games can work.

I can download my xbox games but when I put a disc in it says it is not supported. Tried with kameo and perfect dark zero and same result.

Disc based games are down to whether they are region free or North American at the mo...

OK, in case it's not been mentioned.. Reason Perfect Dark Zero didn't work:

(From FAQ at Microsoft)

Q: Why are my Disc based copies of approved games are not working?

A: Currently we are only supporting game discs from the North America region. We are working on making all games available via disc. This will be fully supported when the program launches for everyone.

Does anyone know how to transfer individual saves from the 360 HD to Cloud? I can see a way to transfer the entirety of the HD data onto Cloud but obviously it wont allow thus as its far too much data.

I think it has to be done one by one, that's what I did last week before trading my 360 in. Under storage, find the save you want and choose the [can't remember but it'll be obvious] option.

I googled to see if there was a batch upload option but there didn't seem to be.

All saves are cloud saves on Xbox One, it keeps a local backup but will refresh to the latest one saved in the cloud so that sounds right to me.

Really? I never knew that. What happens if you run out of cloud space?

I think it demonstrates what a full-time team can achieve compared to a few amateur hobbyists.

To a certain extent I'd agree, progress has been faster when you can pay smart people to work on something fulltime with full technical access, but this is the first emulation where they've managed to somehow make the emulated machine run at full(ish) speed on similar power underlying CPU hardware.

Even the Super Famicom needs orders of magnitude more power to run properly if going for very accurate emulation, even if you half-arse the accuracy of emulation, you aren't running that level of emulation on similar-class hardware.

Somebody on NeoGAF was at E3 and asked one of the Microsoft people for an explanation of how its done:

It was explained to me that there are 3 different ways they can tackle emulation of 360 titles, and Microsoft went with a route that is, for all intents and purposes, a native solution that works best with the xbox one hardware, and in which full compatibility can be achieved, but don't expect many improvements to games. Their only goal is to have it run exactly as it did on the Xbox 360. So if we're seeing benefits here and there they are not intentional, but a side effect.

It's some manner of pre-compilation of all the work and instructions that a game has to do, and then it's all handled in full, native compatibility with xbox one hardware. They could've gone with JIT (just in time) compilation, but that didn't suit their needs. It may be hard to believe, but this is an actual native solution Microsoft has worked out for 360 BC.

To a certain extent I'd agree, progress has been faster when you can pay smart people to work on something fulltime with full technical access, but this is the first emulation where they've managed to somehow make the emulated machine run at full(ish) speed on similar power underlying CPU hardware.

Even the Super Famicom needs orders of magnitude more power to run properly if going for very accurate emulation, even if you half-arse the accuracy of emulation, you aren't running that level of emulation on similar-class hardware.

Somebody on NeoGAF was at E3 and asked one of the Microsoft people for an explanation of how its done:

I'm right in thinking that they are saying its static binary translation then (the most efficient emu but needs some work upfront but not masses like recompiling the source would)

JiT compilation is dynamic binary translation I think.

If so it is quite a feat

• Pob changed the title to Xbox One backwards compatibility - Lots of new releases!