Xbox One backwards compatibility - Lots of new releases!

Well, it persuaded me. I refused to get on the next gen hype train because of a lack of backwards compatibility. Last night I went and bought a Bone. So we'll done Microsoft, you convinced at least 1 person.

I also now have something to play Rock Band 4 on, so this has been a good couple of days all round.

Well, it persuaded me. I refused to get on the next gen hype train because of a lack of backwards compatibility. Last night I went and bought a Bone. So we'll done Microsoft, you convinced at least 1 person.

I also now have something to play Rock Band 4 on, so this has been a good couple of days all round.

I don't understand this at all. You bought a console because all of a sudden they told you you can play all the games you're already able to?

No, they have announced an emulator. The only thing holding it back is games licensing (as they need to distribute a new digital copy). Well that and people not being able to fucking read.

If it was an actual emulator you wouldn't need to download a whole new copy of the game, and you would have no issues with licensing.

The emulator could boot your original disk. They are having to do work on each program to get it to work, modify the code.

It's clearly some middle ground, between a stand alone emulator (that can boot any rom of an old system) and streamlined porting system.

EDIT: In fact you could argue the 360 was better because you just had to download an individual emulator for each game and it was just a few meg.

Half-arsed and two years too late for me.

But at least it is free unlike the Sony offering of BC.

The 360's Xbox emulator actually plays far more games than are on the white list, if you have the machine modded, you can run almost all of them, they don't always run perfectly, but practically everything I have thrown at it has run.

If it was an actual emulator you wouldn't need to download a whole new copy of the game, and you would have no issues with licensing.

The emulator could boot your original disk. They are having to do work on each program to get it to work, modify the code.

It's clearly some middle ground, between a stand alone emulator (that can boot any rom of an old system) and streamlined porting system.

EDIT: In fact you could argue the 360 was better because you just had to download an individual emulator for each game and it was just a few meg.

But they've said there is no work to be done per game, just set a flag and boof! the game runs on a One.

Anyway, 360 backwards compatibility isn't going to make me upgrade to an Xbone. I've already got a device that plays all my 360 games.

I was kinda hyped about it yesterday, but on reflection, given that I still have a perfectly working 360 connected up here, it isn't enough to sway me to buy a Bone. I think it's a great feature if you already own one, or are an existing 360 owner thinking of upgrading - even if you've sold your old physical games and console, at least you'll be able to play your XBLA games free-of-charge when they become available - but as someone who went the PS4 route this gen partially because there was no BC available as an incentive to stay with Microsoft at launch, it still comes down to the exclusive games on the One as to whether I will get one or not. As much as there is some stuff that appeals, there is more stuff on PS4 that I want than I have time to play, so it's likely to be a while (if at all) before I get a Bone - in much the same way as I never felt a real need to get a PS3 last gen.

The main plus of this news isn't that I can stick in my Mass Effect disc and run it on the Xbox One instead of the 360 - it's that games like Shadow Complex, Geometry Wars and Trials Evolution, which were previously reliant on Microsoft continuing to provide download support for a soon-to-be-dead console, are able to be carried forward to the next generation.

It renews confidence in buying digital titles on a locked down platform, as it suggests that Microsoft are willing to maintain that healthy catalogue.

Out of interest - I'm assuming that disc-based games will need to be in the drive every time you want to boot them, rather than a single disc being passed around mates so that everyone gets a copy?

The download will be because the BD drive in the bone won't be able to read the 360 DVD security correctly.

MS have stated it's just an emulator and the only thing they need to do is make the original code available to download. Why are so many people having difficulty with this.

I agree with this. I never even considered a Bone till yesterday's BC announcement. But it's the fact that it solves my Rock Band DLC conundrum plus allows me to play all my 360 games (hopefully) on one current gen machine that's pushed me over the edge.

Dark Souls 1&2, RDR, Fez, Braid, SFIII, etc. get those ticked off and I'm in. When I have some money. And a Bone is cheaper. And I can convince my wife.

Went through the list, Death Tank had a paltry 6 votes :( It's easily one of the best games on XBLA that nobody played thanks to it coming out at a ridiculous price point, and it looks like nothing's going to chance on the people-wanting-to-play-it front. Such a shame, it was utterly brilliant.

This is great too:

Play against Your Friends on Xbox One and Xbox 360: Starting today, you can play against your Xbox 360 friends on Xbox Live, whether or not they are in the preview program. Just invite them to a party in the Xbox 360 menu and jump right in. Xbox One and Xbox 360 gamers can play the same game at the same time, against each other.

Was worried that it might be single-player modes only in the backwards compatibility stakes, but also the fact you can play across XB1 and X360 is very clever.

I know for a lot of people this will be a good thing, and as such I am pleased they managed to get it sorted. Stops having to dig the 360 out of its cupboard.

For me personally, once a new gen hits I rarely find myself wanting to go back. When I got my 360 I was pretty much onto 360 stuff from that point on; anything I'd left uncompleted on the previous gen got swept away in the excitement of new stuff. Same happened with the PS3 to PS4 transition as well.

Can you talk to 360 gamers in party chat, game chat, neither or both?

I'm pretty sure it's yes to Game chat and no to party chat. I was talking in an Xbox one party earlier whilst playing 360. It's all getting pretty crazy town :)

Agreed, it's good news. Plus the Rare collection.

• Pob changed the title to Xbox One backwards compatibility - Lots of new releases!