Xbox One backwards compatibility - sales until the heat death of the universe

7 hours ago, Colonel Panic said:

So £8.99.

I’ve lost all sense of value. If it’s not ‘on sale’ it now feels like I’m getting ripped off. 

7 hours ago, Quest said:

GunValkyrie went down to a fiver a couple of times earlier in the year. 

I must get that again. Back when it came out, I just didn’t understand how to play it and expected games to be “mash buttons to win”. 

I bought SFIV Arcade plus the Ultra DLC for just over £6, paid for with credit from cashing in rewards points, so basically free.

Now I've got about £3.50 left to spend in the next 90 days. Decisions, decisions.

1 hour ago, Count Buffalos said:

You’re not missing much, the control scheme is horrific. 

I mean, the control scheme is the game.* Obviously it's your prerogative to not enjoy it, but it's very specifically a case of the game employing an intentionally tricky control scheme and centring the gameplay on mastering it, rather than being simply poorly implemented third-person shooter controls.

*for the proper main character, at least

Not sure I’d agree with that. I think that the control scheme was just a product of the time really, before there was a common language about FPS and third person schemes. I certainly don’t buy into the idea that it was intentionally tricky. There’s no way the same scheme would be implemented if the game was made now.

2 hours ago, Count Buffalos said:

Not sure I’d agree with that. I think that the control scheme was just a product of the time really, before there was a common language about FPS and third person schemes. I certainly don’t buy into the idea that it was intentionally tricky. There’s no way the same scheme would be implemented if the game was made now.

I'd find that more likely if it weren't for the fact that the two characters have completely distinct control schemes — one of which being a clunky but genetic third-person shooter, which is very much Of Its Time and has aged in the way you're describing; the other belonging to the titular GunValkyrie and being wildly esoteric. I can't read that latter control system as anything other than intentional, much as with e.g. Virtual On's twin stick controls, or Monster Hunter/Soulsborne games's focus on non-flowing, non-cancellable attack strings.

2 hours ago, SMD said:

I bet Wiper says there's nothing wrong with Armoured Core's controls either

There is nothing wrong with twin stick AC controls! There's everything wrong with the PSP versions, mind. RSI on a UMD.

I somehow completed GunValkyrie earlier this year, so I can understand both sides of the discussion above. Certainly you'd never see a control scheme like that these days, now things have standardised and devs have figured out what's comfortable and intuitive to most players, but there's also something very deliberate in the way it handles. 

It's an obscene learning curve by today's standards but it's really flexible once you get your head around it. 

16 hours ago, Quest said:

I somehow completed GunValkyrie earlier this year, so I can understand both sides of the discussion above. Certainly you'd never see a control scheme like that these days, now things have standardised and devs have figured out what's comfortable and intuitive to most players, but there's also something very deliberate in the way it handles. 

It's an obscene learning curve by today's standards but it's really flexible once you get your head around it. 

See also - P.N.03

Yep, which is a magnificent title; one of my favourites of its generation, never mind the Gamecube. A real shame it's unlikely to ever get a port or sequel.

That's one thing I do miss as game design has calcified, control schemes become standardised; there's a lot less experimentation in mainstream games on the way in which you play them. Which is completely understandable, I just miss the odd spark of "what if we let the player control their character like this?" which led to games like GunValkyrie and P.N.03.

6 hours ago, PikaStu said:

I see Street Fighter IV Arcade is on sale for £4ish, does anyone know if it’s enhanced for X series? 

I’m going to say no, by comparing SSFIV arcade:

53F5BF52-9366-4829-8F65-E1B313205417.jpeg.c1eab0763fe9ca74c619ee3478578149.jpeg

to a known-x-enhanced game, the first Assassins Creed:

54AFF2BB-B958-4EFD-8573-50B0C855FB6E.jpeg.20d68cad578b08b29cf3e4d6e90b4bb6.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Lost Odyssey really keeping its value after all that time. And rightly so, it's class. But it's 720p with no fancy upscaling on new hardware :( ...I've been very shallow about it and having a hard time starting it again because it looks so muddy. 

Apparently, you can increase internal res on Xenia emulator, so not sure why they don't bother on xbox series s/x. Similar story for Blue Dragon, I think. 

On 13/09/2022 at 10:32, womble9 said:

grab em when on sale" list as Layer Section

Think that might be one to avoid because of lag in the Saturn emulator, unless it's been patched up sufficiently? I think M2 are releasing a version of it in a triple pack later, which I'd guess will be better, but also maybe not suitable as it'll probably be more expensive and maybe ps4 and switch only.

On 14/09/2022 at 12:29, spatular said:

Think that might be one to avoid because of lag in the Saturn emulator, unless it's been patched up sufficiently? I think M2 are releasing a version of it in a triple pack later, which I'd guess will be better, but also maybe not suitable as it'll probably be more expensive and maybe ps4 and switch only.

Thanks for that, I did see that there was apparently some lag issue on the Switch version though some said they found it just fine. I did also when digging around this  morning see that there's a Switch demo so I've downloaded that to see if I feel it's OK though in truth I suppose that doesn't really guarantee anything either way on the Xbox version.

I'll try the switch demo later tonight and see how I get on / if I notice it at all but the more I think about it, the more I think I'm best just heading up into the loft and dusting off / setting up my J Saturn and the copy that I've got for that :)

• 1 month later...

A good few games on sale this week, a few of which are good :):

Assassin's Creed £2.69

Blood Knights £1.99

Condemned: Criminal Origins £2.99

Dead Space 2 £2.99

Dead Space 3 £2.99

Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two £2.24

Fight Night Champion £4.99

Hydrophobia £5.39

Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet £3.37

LEGO Indiana Jones: Original Adventures £3.74