NieR: Automata

• 1 month later...

I've just finished this.

Spoiler

After 51 hours, I've managed to get endings ABCDEKOQSTWZ. 

That final sequence for E was madness. I got as far as the first Square Enix before the true bullet hell began and lol what the fuck was that? If you were to give up on the middle, do you have to do the 2A/9S fight again?

I'm in two minds over this. It was mostly fun with great design (in spite of the invisible walls) and the story was excellent, despite the main twist of humanity being fairly clear early on (9000 years on the moon?) but the unending fetch quests can do one. Even if they did serve to flesh out the backgrounds of the characters and of the world, they became remarkably tedious very quickly.

I think something like this with a bit more variety in side quests and a little more depth to the action would be the perfect action RPG but I won't hold my breath. I do look forward to Platinum doing a sequel and will be there day one I think.

Did I mention the soundtrack? Hauntingly beautiful and I'm going to be buying it next payday.

Now to get the other endings and achievements!

On 10/10/2020 at 08:20, Talvalin said:

I've just finished this.

Hide contents

After 51 hours, I've managed to get endings ABCDEKOQSTWZ. 

That final sequence for E was madness. I got as far as the first Square Enix before the true bullet hell began and lol what the fuck was that? If you were to give up on the middle, do you have to do the 2A/9S fight again?

I'm in two minds over this. It was mostly fun with great design (in spite of the invisible walls) and the story was excellent, despite the main twist of humanity being fairly clear early on (9000 years on the moon?) but the unending fetch quests can do one. Even if they did serve to flesh out the backgrounds of the characters and of the world, they became remarkably tedious very quickly.

I think something like this with a bit more variety in side quests and a little more depth to the action would be the perfect action RPG but I won't hold my breath. I do look forward to Platinum doing a sequel and will be there day one I think.

Did I mention the soundtrack? Hauntingly beautiful and I'm going to be buying it next payday.

Now to get the other endings and achievements!

Have you got THE actual ending yet though. Greatest gaming moment of ALL time. ALL TIME

4 minutes ago, fattakin said:

I’ve finished ending A and am trying to decide and push on or move to another game in the pile. Took about 14 hours, is each play thru as long or do they get shorter?

Shorter. Stick with it. 

1 hour ago, carlospie said:

Shorter. Stick with it. 

I think I will, played a little of it and was getting hooked back in.  Still no idea how to increase my chips and even use them properly but having a great time with it. 

43 minutes ago, fattakin said:

Still no idea how to increase my chips and even use them properly but having a great time with it. 

There should be a maintenance shop in the bunker where you can buy additional storage capacity (+8, +16, etc) for more chips. I don’t know if all of the storage upgrades are immediately available to purchase (I haven’t played the game for a while) but they should show up there.

How you use chips depends on what they do - some chips offer passive effects (defence up) whilst others are unique abilities (the “Counter” chip is essentially the parry bracelet from Bayonetta), so check the descriptions. :) 

2 hours ago, fattakin said:

I’ve finished ending A and am trying to decide and push on or move to another game in the pile. Took about 14 hours, is each play thru as long or do they get shorter?

ABCDE then it's the best game ever, with one of the best choreographed boss battles I have ever played:

Spoiler

The bit where you're fighting 2 ascending bosses switching between characters is just simply superb and I think is at the end of the C (Ko-shi And Ro-shi Duel Climbing Boss Fight)

Ok, i spend about 20000 on buying healing stuff towards the end of A as im getting my arse kicked in these battles but perhaps more chip capacity and pod upgrades will help that, will make a start tonight! 

6 hours ago, carlospie said:

Have you got THE actual ending yet though. Greatest gaming moment of ALL time. ALL TIME

Yes. I got all but two of the endings legitimately then one seemed bugged and I couldn't finish the second Emil quest because he just stopped appearing so I did the thing we don't talk about. It felt bad but the RNG on some of the crafting materials was total bullshit (for the weapon and pod upgrades) so I fucked it off. 

A slightly sour ending to the affair but I still had a great time overall. That ending though. Truly amazing scenes.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished ending C last night, those last 2 hours are incredible.  I sadly had to drop difficulty to easy to clear one of the reclamation towers as it has no save points and id been beaten twice by the black shadow monster so almost quit.  Ended up leaving it on easy as I'm not sure i could have finished the game, the amount of stuff it was throwing at you constantly! The set pieces in this game are great!  I'll whizz thru D and E today and put this one to bed.  Style game, infuriating at times.  Not my usual style and perfect gamepass addition. 

• 3 weeks later...