NieR: Automata

JPR

• 2 weeks later...

Finished (ABCDE) this morning :wub:

Came to it because  I liked the look of it but didn't continue after ending A, I knew about the multiple endings but took a break, then reached the crossover Yoko Taro has done in FFXIV and wanted more so have gone back to it and yeah, just wow. 

You just know that if 2B was some dudebro then there'd be alot more people that love this game.

• 2 weeks later...

It's an action RPG, so you'll be collecting materials, crafting, upgrading gear, levelling, customising loadouts, doing sidequests et al... but the shmuppy bits and button mashing form the foundation of this RPG's combat. It'd be disingenuous to say that it was "all" there is, but it is what you'll be doing a lot of as you go to different quest locations.

Had no idea what to expect starting this recently, but what the Hell is going on? I loved the first boss battle but it’s batshit in a not-sure-it’s-good way (so far). Should I persevere?

10 hours ago, shirubagan said:

Had no idea what to expect starting this recently, but what the Hell is going on? I loved the first boss battle but it’s batshit in a not-sure-it’s-good way (so far). Should I persevere?

Stick with it dude. It's entirely your shit.

On 16/05/2021 at 00:38, fragglerock said:

You kill a lot of robots, and mash a load of buttons, but that is the least of what the game is.

I don't think that's quite true though. The game has an interesting plot and an unusual way of telling it, but the vast majority of your time is spent dodging bullets and smashing up robots. I liked it but have to admit that the shmup based hacking was starting to wear thin by the end.

Ha! Only realised there was an evade button after reading about it in the other thread. I've decided to give it another shot, reinstalled and actually enjoyed the short traipse around ruined earth. Ugly thing though.

For me the traipsing and slash em up combat were the big low points. However it does mostly make up for that in its style, originality and subverted expectations. I found a lot of it a chore but there are some big highlights which for me made it worthwhile and on the whole I'm glad I experienced it. My advice is don't bother with side quests unless you really need more money/gear and just plough through the main story.

7 minutes ago, therearerules said:

Thanks, is it worth agonising over weapons to buy/ chips to install?

Chips - kind of. They provide most of the customisation for your android: increasing damage, increasing defence, providing auto health regen, health regen from attacks, from kills... there's a chip that effectively grants the character Witch Time, and a bunch of other stuff. Eventually you'll find yourself using up a lot of the chip "storage", but you can buy more storage at the bunker.

Weapons - maybe not so much. There are some neat things in there but you can get through a lot of the game with what you have. Having said that, they're worth looking at if the combat's getting a bit familiar and you want to try something with different range or combo strings.

Also, you eventually get to buy pod programs and upgrades that give you different abilities instead of the Pod's big beam attack. Some of these are worth checking out, and personally I found them more interesting than the weapons your androids get... but they're not essential.

• 3 weeks later...

It's a bit weird to have seen this go from a niche gem to being labelled as overrated. I guess that's a function of having people advocate for it, but still, a strange journey.

9 hours ago, therearerules said:

Most overrated game ever.

I would say the opening section is rubbish compared to the rest of it, but yes also it's not going to appeal to everyone :(

Has anyone played this and Replicant 1.22? I’ve only played the 2010 Nier rather than the remake, but it would be interesting to find out if Automata’s design made more sense to someone who saw the remade Replicant (e.g: “it’s not a character action series and it never was.” ;) )

It's not that I had a torrid time, I enjoyed parts of it, but I was expecting a really mind blowing final denouement from this thread which just never arrived. Compared to something like 13 Sentinels I just found myself shrugging. Definitely not worth the reused environments, repeated gameplay, and bafflingly unnecessary upgrade loot system. And the whole gratuity of it.

Don’t you need to complete it 5 times for all that 13 Sentinelsy greatness to reveal itself? I’d also like to experience it, and have been curious about this game for time, but that whole aspect has been the main reason I’ve never taken the plunge.

1 minute ago, Calashnikov said:

Don’t you need to complete it 5 times for all that 13 Sentinelsy greatness to reveal itself? I’d also like to experience it, and have been curious about this game for time, but that whole aspect has been the mean reason I’ve never taken the plunge.

You do, but each play through is different enough to keep you interested. You're not really completing the game five times, it's more like a Rashomon-esque retelling of the story from a different perspective.

However, if you don't get on with the gameplay it will definitely be a problem.

Also, each of the five “replays” is significantly shorter than the previous one, to the point where the fifth is just a few minutes long.

5 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

Don’t you need to complete it 5 times for all that 13 Sentinelsy greatness to reveal itself? I’d also like to experience it, and have been curious about this game for time, but that whole aspect has been the mean reason I’ve never taken the plunge.

Yeah sort of. The second time is identical to the first but with worse combat and a mechanic to avoid that combat. You play as a different character, but repeating the story word for word except at the very start and end, and with the occasional cutscene. The third playthrough is different, but the locations are the same (there's only about 7 of them), as is the combat.

Annoyingly, any side quests you were partway through are reset when you hit the endgame, and none of them are interesting mechanically.

1 minute ago, Darren said:

Also, each of the five “replays” is significantly shorter than the previous one, to the point where the fifth is just a few minutes long.

Yeah, so is 4. Really it's just 3 playthroughs.

11 hours ago, therearerules said:

Most overrated game ever.

7 minutes ago, therearerules said:

It's not that I had a torrid time, I enjoyed parts of it, but I was expecting a really mind blowing final denouement from this thread which just never arrived. Compared to something like 13 Sentinels I just found myself shrugging. Definitely not worth the reused environments, repeated gameplay, and bafflingly unnecessary upgrade loot system. And the whole gratuity of it.

I'm totally with you, I don't get all the love. I think the post above from @carlospiesums up my problems. "The combat is deliberately boring and monotonous". Whilst I don't agree completely, some fights were really cool, the vast majority are really just very boring.

There are some absolutely horrendous design decisions here, such as the opening not having any checkpoints, and that section where you can't move faster than walking pace and have to go half a mile whilst the screen is all sorts of fucked up, or the fact that with very little effort you can basically become invincible, and so many more. It's not even that long a game, I think all endings took me about 30 hours, but it has far too many shit and boring bits despite that.

It has tonnes of cool ideas, and a genuinely interesting overarching plot, but it's far too boring to make it worth it. That said, if I'd ignored all the side quests I may well have enjoyed it quite a bit more. They're mostly dire.