NieR: Automata

JPR

8 minutes ago, Triple A said:

Oh yes for sure. That and quality upgrade trees, plus some of the the best storytelling and music in videogames.

Yep, I played Gestalt and that had a bunch of extra stuff I could have done (even after already doing a bunch of stuff) - other sidequests in areas I'd been to, material collecting, equipment upgrading, levelling, further exploring in that massive overworld... and, yes, a great story and soundtrack. In my mind the combat of Automata has pretty much proven itself today, so I'm hoping that the RPG side is as compelling as the original's.

22 minutes ago, Wiper said:

On a tangential note, the release of the demo inspired me to look for second hand copies of the PS3 version of Nier again. I narrowly missed out on a copy last year as it ended up going over 12 pounds, which at the time seemed high as its going rate was around 10 pounds, and it was a game I wasn't sure I'd like. I figured I'd just keep an eye out for the next copy that dropped on eBay... and Automata was announced literally a day later, and original's price skyrocketed.

I was hoping that the prices would have gone back down by now, but a quick glance reveals it's still being sold at around 25 pounds, which is highly distressing. I know I should just bite the bullet and grab a copy, because I do want to try it, get a feel for Taro's design before Automata comes out (I've never knowingly played any of his games before, so have no idea if I'll just bounce off it), but at the price, on a console I barely turn on any more, it's a hard sell!

You may get lucky with pre-owned copies in traditional stores. I got my copy on PS3 a little over a year ago for £7.99 in Game, I guess they weren't keeping up to date with the value.

Alas, I have three dead 360s, and absolutely no plan to buy a fourth! Fool me once, shame on you, fool me three times and, well, I'll buy a console that doesn't need replacing every two and a half years.

Went through the demo and pretty much loved it. It's a great mix of melee and bullet hell.

This is the game I expected Furi to be, which it sadly wasn't.

Instantly started very hard...one hit death!! Danger! Need to see how the RPG/levelling/weapons work, it's hard to tell with a demo how they've set everything up.

Cant wait!

Wow just finished and this demo has really impressed and this'll be a day one purchase for me. The combat, the smoothness, the effortless switching of gameplay styles, the style in everything, it just seemed smart and super confident. I have Nier on PS3 but i never really started it, so i'll be digging out the PS3 from the loft and giving it some time as soon as now.

Don't expect smooth combat from the original Nier! It's very rough, but also totally unique and definitely worth playing.

I wish I hadn't sold my copy. I'm hopeful it will come to XB1 backwards compatibility, or even better they'll do a current gen port, though I can't help but feel they would have announced that by now if it were going to happen.

Yep, loved this demo. Huge fan of both the first Nier and Platinum's approach to combat.

It was ticking so many boxes for me, flitting seamlessly between gameplay perspectives, evoking memories of Contra, Shinobi, Bayonetta, Smash TV and Metal Gear Rising, the latter of which, it sounded like a few assets had been lifted directly from.

Day one, easy.

wow, great demo. I'm usually pathetically bad at Platinum games (although i did manage to finish the Bayonetta 1&2) I loved the different play angles. Never heard of the game before i saw this thread. Another to add to the pile of shame. Not sure if i'll be day one unless there is a good price.

Some high level, very hard game play.

Tweaks I'm hoping for are:

More dangerous enemies - never really felt threatened, robots were slow and obvious

More unshootable enemy bullets - would like to see more bullet pattern/avoidance of bullets rather than just shooting them all the time.

Restrictions/cool down on the gun - feel like the gun can be spammed at distance with no real forfeit/limitation

Wow, where has this game been hiding? I've never cared for Platinums games before despite always trying to make myself, but this he just utterly enthralled me. Love the art style, music, mechanics everything. Gone from no idea to 'god why isn't it March yet' in the space of half a play through... worried may have to delete demo to keep it feeling fresh as otherwise I think I'll just keep rinsing the demo. 

What at an unexpected and glorious surprise!

I know I was surprised as well. I kept trying with the Bayonetta's and just could never quite click with it. I don't know if it was the presentation, j-pop arcade soundtrack or whatever but for some reason I just never loved it like everyone else did despite really wanting to. Thinking about it I enjoyed Vanquish, but this seems just seems to have utterly clicked with me. Maybe I've just not played something more action-y like this for a long time? Maybe it's the art style - I love a ghost in the shell-esq vibe. Can't put my finger on it, but very glad I have finally come round!

On 23/12/2016 at 21:05, Badger said:

As Qazimod was shy to mention it - he's actually kindly done a bit of a write up on the game for Disposable Media... I'm sure he'd love some rllmuk readers for it ;)
http://www.disposablemedia.co.uk/2016/12/nier-automata-demo-released-week/

Aw thanks. :wub: For those wanting the TL;DR version - after the demo I'm confident that this will be a good game, but I'm hoping that the RPG stuff is pushed in the subquests/settlements/customisation/story, because the world-building and narrative of Nier could elevate this from a "good Platinum game" (great action with story as an afterthought) to an all-time classic.

(Also this thing is releasing within a month of P5 and the idea of two epic RPGs so close together is exciting and terrifying me in equal measures.)

E: for Gestalt/Replicant fans concerned that this is going to be a shallow action game; you can see a little bit of settlement exploration/subquest accepting in one or two of their older streams - skip to about 24m in the below and you can see them exploring a settlement, accepting a subquest and going back out into the relatively open environment (see the map.) Automata might have trademark Platinum action but it's certainly not going to be a linear button-mashing journey through arenas linked by cutscenes (or at least, it needn't be.) Plus the materials and stuff found in the demo hints at further tweaking and forging to be done in those settlements.

Eh, why is this not the busiest thread on the entire internet?! Finally got around to playing the demo and :blink:

Bayonetta remains in my top 3 games of all time and its been a long time coming but system wise this feels like the natural evolution of what Platinum built there. 

Once again the setting and story are completely fucking crackers but that is all part of the charm I think. On my first run through I didnt really take many of the controls in and was just enjoying the beauty of it. Switching from 3D to 2D side and top down scrolling is handled so well and it mixes the combat approach up with each camera angle. But after a couple of runs I am now foaming at the mouth for this. The evade animations and many of the battle mechanics are entirely taken from Bayonetta, which I didn't notice until a few runs in, plus there seems to be a completely separate tier of moves based on the timing of your evade :omg: throw in the mix of epic scale and old school boss fights and an early contender for my GOTY seems to have appeared out of nowhere!

Factor in the RPG foundations and its quite clear I am going to lose an unhealthy amount of time to this game!

@Qazimod thats a great little write up on the demo man. I have absolutely zero knowledge of the previous Nier games so if it delivers on the combat alone then I will be delighted. It does sound like there is the potential for something special to come together here though, if like you say the story and RPG elements are done justice also. Pre-order and days off work for launch day getting pencilled in tonight :D

Thanks; much appreciated. :)  It's a massive "if", but anyone who played Nier Gestalt/Replicant will know how much potential could be realised here if it delivers on the action, narrative and questing (whilst throwing in another excellent Okabe score for good measure.) I guess we'll find out in two months. ^_^

1 hour ago, Gizamaluke said:

Still need to know more about the RPG side of things pls.

http://www.rpgsite.net/interview/4971-nier-automata-interview-square-talks-rpg-systems-and-the-platinum-partnership

Basically, it sounds like they've retained the essence of the first game, but acknowledged the combat mechanics weren't great, so they partnered with Platinum who have the expertise to address that.

In saying that you've opened up our favorite can of worms... we're dedicated to RPGs, so, just how RPG is Nier Automata now?

It's really difficult to put into numbers, but the image that I have is that maybe 30 to 40 percent of the game is action and then around 70 to 60 percent of the game is RPG. So it's not really a 50/50 - it's actually more RPG-oriented. That being said, it's more about the storyline. There's just a lot more there. Just the play-time or length of what you'll get out of this is a bit more than what you'd expect from a pure action game.

We've been getting a lot of questions asking us around how long the play time will be. Up until now we've been saying around 25 hours, but when I actually told the development staff that it would take 25 hours they actually said 'No, no, it'll probably take a lot more than that to complete the game.' [laughs]