Football thread 2015/16 season.

Naysonymous

I have no idea why more teams don't press Arsenal properly because we are absolutely horrible against it. The only two midfielders who can handle it (Arteta and Wilshere) are basically dead -- all our other options in the middle shit the bed when pressed well.

More likely they'll get the ban delayed like Barca did, and this summer window will be mental.

Speaking of Barcelona, just found out they want £64 to watch the Arsenal game from their cloud-height away section with my binoculars. Modern football is great.

Liverpool fans are probably the most precious group of supporters in England. Klopp annoys me as it's almost a show for the fans. A late equaliser when you've had the lead twice and conceded three at home doesn't constitute leaping around with a shit eating grin. He's won 47% of his games at Liverpool (Rodgers 51%), very nearly got knocked out of the cup by Exeter as he picked a mixture of reserves and youth players and manages a club who are beneath West Ham and Stoke. I wouldn't be leaping about.

You have no fucking clue.

Not quite sure what point you're trying to make here. We had 8 points from our first 6 games and were 13th. That sequence included a very fortunate win at Bournemouth, quite a lot of dreadful football, a 3-0 spanking at home from West Ham, and a complete surrender to Utd at Old Trafford.

Tbb was saying was making out its surprising Stoke are above us because they got of to a bad start. I was saying Liverpool got off to a bad start too so not surprising Stoke are above us.

Not quite sure what point you're trying to make here. We had 8 points from our first 6 games and were 13th. That sequence included a very fortunate win at Bournemouth, quite a lot of dreadful football, a 3-0 spanking at home from West Ham, and a complete surrender to Utd at Old Trafford.

Tbb was saying was making out its surprising Stoke are above us because they got of to a bad start. I was saying Liverpool got off to a bad start too so not surprising Stoke are above us.

Bit harsh to blame Klopp for picking a bunch of reserves and youth players for a Cup game when the injury list - especially up front - is so bloody long. He's had to sign Steven Caulker from a Championship side for crying out loud. The only fit striker he has is totally unsuited to the way he wants to play and that is before you get to the fact that he is streakier than a fridge full of bacon.

One thing Liverpool have done is wasted a hell of a lot of money in the transfer market. (Come to think of it, so have most of the big Premier League clubs in recent times, but Liverpool are probably the prime culprits.) It is an awful, awful squad.

Nayson's tweet was read out on football weekly :omg:

Aye. It seems Jim was prepared to run with the joke while everybody else answered as if it were a legit question.

I had planned to ask them about what 'Spursy' actually means because based on previous pod definition over the past few months it seems that beating all the good teams and losing against the bad ones is 'Spursy' as is beating all the bad teams and losing against the good ones. The only way for Tottenham to avoid being accused of being Spursy is to win all 38 games in a season by pod logic. Then Barney Ronay wrote an article about it and took the wind out of my sails. :(

As for Villa survival? We've got no chance. Everybody has been 'ironically' carried away by our win this week, caused by a goalkeeping howler which might bring Danny Baker out of retirement, but we've got so much to do it's basically impossible. We've got 11 points from 21 games, we are 7 points behind 19th placed Newcastle and 8 points and a huge amount of goal difference behind 17th placed Swansea and safety.

We have 51 points to play for. 36 points was enough to survive last season, 34 the year before that, 37, 37, 40, 31 & 35 in the five seasons previous to that. I think the number needed this season will be closer to 40 as the teams at the top of the table are dropping points to the teams at the bottom where in previous years they were just crushing us. This basically leaves us with 17 games to get lets say a minimum of 27 points to stand a chance.

If we are being optimistic then that's Watford/West Ham/Crystal Palace pre Christmas form for the rest of the season. Seven or eight wins and four or five draws from the next 17 games. If we are being pessimistic then we just look at the team who take the pitch every week and realise they are utterly incapable of that.

I think this might be the most Jonathan Wilson quote ever Wilsoned:

Which makes Sunday’s game at Anfield feel almost like an exercise in time travel. At AZ and with the Dutch national side, Van Gaal proved himself capable of adaptation but he seems at United to have gone back to the core principles he espoused at Barça and at Bayern; perhaps that’s simply how he feels elite sides must play, that a more counterattacking approach is merely, as the Russian theorist Lev Filatov put it in discussing the proto-catenaccio of Alexander Kuzmich’s Krylya Sovetov side in the 40s, “the right of the weak”.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/jan/15/jurgen-klopp-louis-van-gaal-manchester-united-liverpool