Football thread 2015/16 season.

Naysonymous

4 minutes ago, AlwaysBeClosing said:

Who would you take instead of him?  

I'd even take Townsend instead of him, but if it came to it Ox, Walcott, Willshire (given Carrick is playing and doing nothing he can't be any worse) Drinkwater and now for the dregs.. Henderson or Delph.

But yeah, any of them over Carrick and as I say I generally like him but he tailed off last season and has done nothing to show what a player he used to be this season - maybe thats partly down to LVG and Man U in general but he would only be there on name at this point as midfield is not an area England seem short.

He's been injured a lot this season, but when he's played United have looked better than without him. He's never been a player who does eyecatching things, but he still has great touch, a lovely eye for a pass, an ability to read the game and spot danger, and an unparalleled calmness on the ball. He's not getting any younger, but if there's room in the squad for deep-lying midfielder who you can bring on when you need to hold the ball and see out a game there's nobody better around.

The fact that you think picking Walcott, a winger/striker would be an alternative kind of shows the depth of your knowledge. That's like saying you don't think Rooney should be in the squad, so you'd rather take Joe Hart.

In other news, Man Utd are losing to the Michelin men.

24 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

He's been injured a lot this season, but when he's played United have looked better than without him. He's never been a player who does eyecatching things, but he still has great touch, a lovely eye for a pass, an ability to read the game and spot danger, and an unparalleled calmness on the ball. He's not getting any younger, but if there's room in the squad for deep-lying midfielder who you can bring on when you need to hold the ball and see out a game there's nobody better around.

The fact that you think picking Walcott, a winger/striker would be an alternative kind of shows the depth of your knowledge. That's like saying you don't think Rooney should be in the squad, so you'd rather take Joe Hart.

In other news, Man Utd are losing to the Michelin men.

Carrick used to be all those things, Dier is currently a better player who is ahead of him and if going like for like to give him cover then Drinkwater should be in - I was pointing out other players that would be taken over Carrick because he should not be there in 'his' position as thats long gone - I assume you were suggesting Carrick as a spare player who could be in the squad to cover a few positions hence my suggestions.

But yeah, I would take Walcott over Carrick as he has the chance to change the game from the bench were all Carrick would be there for is warming said bench.

Sturridge and Wilshere are made of glass and spent most of the season out.  Sterling is massively overrated and Delph wouldn't be anywhere near the squad if he played for just about any other team.  Meanwhile Kane and Vardy have actually done it for most the season.  I have my doubts about Vardy (I reckon he'll be knackered by summer given the effort he has put in) but I'd be pretty annoyed if I had to sit on the bench while somebody who has only played the last third of the season gets the start.

Going too obvious with these team selections. My picks:

Forster

Simpson   Shawcross    Dann    Cresswell 

Shelvey    Drinkwater

Albrighton                          Redmond 

Deeney            Berahino

Rest of squad:

GK -  Foster, Rudd

Def - Ward, Targett, Richards

Mid - Cattermole, Lennon, Puncheon, Loftus-Cheek

Fwd - Crouch, Afobe, Austin 

You guys are all too hopeful.

Smalling at right back, Jones at CB with whoever. If Shaw can walk then he can play at LB. 

Carrick and Gerrard in the middle with any two of Young, Walcott, Oxlade or Barkley out wide. 

Rooney and Welbeck will be up front with Sturridge also getting a fair number of games (out of 3).

Sorted! 

Look on the bright side.It's Russia you are playing first, they're in a terrible state and have bottling it down to a fine art.

Anything close to the average level of qualifying performance should get you off to a good start.Then the media, having done absolutely no research into the opposition can hype things up for the inevitable exit in the Quarter finals.

I'm surprised at the lack of Baines in all of those line ups (bar Pants), I've not been following Everton too much. Has he been poor or injured?

I think Hodgson will play it safe and stick to a fairly established England first 11, regardless of form. Vardy has got to be there but I can't see him replacing Rooney/Kane up front. The only way I can see Rooney not leading the line is if he is injured.

So FA considering scrapping FA Cup replays and making it a midweek competition.

Which ruins a lot of what makes it such a great competition, kills off potential windfalls for smaller clubs and only benefits the handful of rich clubs with their massive squads who have to deal with the hardship of playing in Europe.

I don't even get why mid week would be of benefit anyway especially as mid week in January is likely to lead to more postponements for bad weather and 3 games in a week unless they are planning on leaving the weekend free?

This is glorious, don't know if you'll all have seen it already:

Some pre-season thing in New York a few years back that Barca did, two futsal teams managed by Pep and Tito, with Pique and Valdez (who has 'Messi' on the back of his shirt for some reason and is wearing his normal goalkeeper's kit despite playing outfield) playing as out-and-out strikers and complaining a lot to the ref.

There are loads of things that could be done to mitigate fixture congestion before gutting the FA Cup:

• Always move games played after a Europa league tie to a Monday, at least (other leagues do this, I believe)
  • Have a winter break after Boxing day, keeping the frenetic schedule that people love (and does well with foreign audiences as there is no other sport on) but allowing some rest for players afterwards
  • Not going to affect most teams obviously, but the two-legged semi-finals for the League Cup need to go
  • Downsizing the Premier League to 18 teams. Not a good option but better than what's seemingly being discussed.

Two leg league cup semi is a good shout. Doesn't seem to serve much purpose, bar give a potential advantage to the 'bigger/better' teams and would free up a mid week slot to allow better space for FA Cup replays or whatever.

The really smart thing to do would be to lobby UEFA to make the Europa League a straight knock out competition ether than a never ending slog of games most of which seem to be 0-0 draws

Getting rid of the two-legged league cup semi won't really make the difference the big clubs want it to make - especially as it's not all that often that those teams even make it that far (relative to the times they will field a strong team, rather than squad players).

Reducing the PL to 18 teams isn't going to happen anytime soon, either (if ever), the finances are too big and the product - in the eyes of the worldwide audiences - isn't currently suffering at all. Likewise, why should UEFA reduce the fixtures in the CL/EL competitions to help out just England? If all the various associations around Europe were crying out for a reduction in congestion they'd have to take action, but they aren't really.

It's a conundrum, for sure. I suppose the most radical decision would be to scrap the league cup for the PL teams completely - that would allow midweek league fixtures to be played in those gaps, which would then also give some space to allow for a 2-3 week break in January, too (with the 3rd round of the FA Cup being the last game before February or something along those lines.)

14 hours ago, smithstock said:

I'm surprised at the lack of Baines in all of those line ups (bar Pants), I've not been following Everton too much. Has he been poor or injured?

An awful lot of the latter, but a fair bit of the former. He always has been and always will be a confidence player, and that confidence was utterly shot a couple of years ago and has been the hardest thing to rebuild. Things like the penalty incidents, where he was Everton's penalty taker but a couple of times he meekly surrendered responsibility under pressure from whichever idiot wanted to take it (Mirallas was the first, I think) really highlight it. Also he's often had doubts as to whether he should be where he is, and I feel that's massively affected him since the world cup when it really didn't go well. It's a shame, because he's spent an age proving himself to be an excellent footballer.

Saying all that, anyone who think Danny Rose is a better bet is fucking mental.

When you spend your career being second choice to Ashley Cole despite being the most consistent player in the country only for things to take a downturn the second he is out of the picture it can make all that hard work seem like a bit of a waste.

I must be mental then, Danny Rose has been a part of a defence that hasn't conceded three goals in a game all season and has only conceded two goals three times.  Baines on the other hand has been in a defence that has looked terrible all season.  

Before this season I wasn't really a fan of Rose, like his team mate Kyle Walker - another player who has improved considerably this season, he always looked like he would make a silly mistake that would led to a goal, but this season I am struggling to think he has made any mistakes at all.

Sadly Rose's crossing is fairly abysmal so if you are looking for a left back that will provide an attacking outlet then maybe Danny Rose isn't your man.

I love Leighton Baines and he's got such a superb left foot. It's a shame he's at Everton (sorry Everton fans) as if was at a top four club, he'd have had many more England caps. Aaron Creswell at West Ham should be in the squad. I'd like to see Antonio getting a cap too - he's a beast.

The attendance at the Blackburn vs West Ham game is awful. I know it's a Sunday but the home end isn't even a third full. It's Blackburn's only hope of anything positive this season.