Football thread 2015/16 season.

Naysonymous

15 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

Last year Jokanovic got them up to the Premier League and was sacked in favour of Quique. Everyone said it was mad and look, Quique totally over delivers on what people expect and keeps them in the prem and Slav is now managing a (believe me...) fucking dreadful Fulham side at the bottom of the Championship.

The manager sacking can sometimes be stupid, yes. It cost Fulham our Premier League status. But look at Chelsea. The first time in decades they actually decide to stick with a manager they go into free fall. Watford go through 48,000 managers a season and end up in the premier league with a decent squad. Leicester sack a manager who got them promoted and secured them Premier League status with a pretty ridiculous end of season run and end up winning the bloody league (if you hadn't heard.) I know the circumstances there were slightly different but he was still a manager you wouldn't expect to see sacked given how the team were playing at the end of '15. 

Watford'll be top of everyone's list to go down once again but if they get the right man in for the next 4, 6, 12 months, and continue to do so, there's nothing to say they'll go down with that group of players and all that lovely TV money coming in. 

What I find baffling is the target set by the board was met & yet they still ask him to leave. I understand it was a mutual decision so maybe Flores knew he could not take the team any further? Good luck to them both but I reckon Watford will be in a relegation battle next season.

People said the same type of stuff in here when Southampton sacked Adkins for Pochettino. Look how that panned out.

There are no guarantees, but if you think you can get a better manager then an ambitious club should surely take the plunge, even if it might seem harsh on an incumbent who's done pretty well.

During their away match against Charlton last season, Watford actually had three managers. One sat in the dugout for the first half, a different one for the second and then a third gave the post-match interview. They won.

2 hours ago, Nayson said:

We (Villa) have had more managers than league wins this season. 

I think Palermo in the Italian league have had more managers than wins this season too. Something like 10 managers but only 8 wins. 

I'm totally fine with Flores going. He's one-dimensional and hasn't really improved any of the players he's worked with. On the flip side he is a master at working the press (probably because he used to be a journalist - in one report it states 'Watford could finish as high as 11th' but fail to mention they could just as easily finish 16th) and the general public, just reading the Guardian comments it's like the Pozzos have killed Bambi. Actually, they have a system where the 'manager' doesn't matter that much. Recruitment and hierarchy stays constant, only the coach and his methods change with the times. It's ruthless but it works, there were tears when Zola left but in hindsight it was the right decision.

And as for the muppets saying we're certs for relegation next season... Well, everyone said that last season too (one national newspaper poll had 70% of people saying we'd go down, and somehow everyone thought Bournemouth would do amazing) and here we are. If we do, then fair enough but hopefully we do it in a more entertaining way.

If Flores pops up at another PL team he won't last long at all.

Brighton have really angered the football gods.  No team has come from 2-0 in the opening leg of a playoff, and four injuries, two of them to key players is a hammer blow.  If they do go up, they will have earned it.

Also, while celebrating his goal, one of the other players decides to wind him up and tell him his goal is disallowed for offside.

51 minutes ago, Plissken said:

OK, no team not in real football has come from 2-0 down in the opening leg of a playoff.

We were 0-7 up against Manstow Villa away at Ugborough at half time and lost 7-13 in an under 12 game. 

Derby are fucked. The Brighton one might change if Brighton get an early goal, it's a game of anxiety in the play offs.

I personally hate the play offs. A team that's 15 points off promotion could go up. Wimbledon were 24 points worse than Northampton this season. They could go up with them. That's 7 wins difference.

If four teams go up, 4th should be a promotion place.

3 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

I personally hate the play offs. A team that's 15 points off promotion could go up.

I can see why a team finishing 3rd can feel sorry for themselves if they miss out on promotion but I'm not sure I feel much sympathy for them.  Yeah, it's cruel business especially if you were in for the title with a game or two to play (ie, Brighton) but football is a cruel business.  They didn't win the league, they didn't even finish second.  They were third and have no right to demand automatic promotion. 

You need play offs. The top flight has the race for European places which give the teams towards the middle of the league something to aim for during the season and their fans something to dream about between seasons. Playoffs are the equivalent of that in the lower divisions and if they don't exist how many dead rubbers start appearing in the fixture list from February - March onwards when there are a dozen or more teams who aren't going down and are miles from the title race?   I'm not even going to call playoffs a necessary evil, they are good for the health of the league and if a third place team gets burned once every couple of seasons then so be it. 

I'd like to see Sheffield Wednesday back in the Premier League if they didn't have that awful band following them around. If Hull return are we in for another season of them arguing about a name change or has that idea finally been killed off?

Playoffs have been here for 30 years, time to accept them as a necessary evil.  It gives the top ten or so clubs something to play for from Feb onwards.  I don't support them for relegation, mind.

I think the name thing has been killed off but the Hull owner has stopped concession season tickets (for kids and over 65s) or some such.

Regarding the fairness of playoffs - there's some merit in the Italian system, whereby if the third placed club finishes ten points clear of fourth, there are no playoffs. Of course, it being football, there's still an element of fuckwittery - a team as low as eighth can qualify if they're within fourteen points of third.

I can see the arguments on both sides of the playoff debate. If a 46 match season is enough to declare Middlesbrough more worthy than Brighton on a goal differential of two, then surely it's enough to declare Brighton more worthy than Hull. On the other hand, a 46 match season soon descends into tedium once it's established that neither promotion nor relegation are on the cards. The playoffs brighten it up for about half the pack, with the other half concerned about sliding into oblivion.

Ladies and gentlemen, Sunderland football fans:

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/sunderland-fans-hire-plane-fly-11332836

UPDATE: It's gona say Auf Wiedersehn Prem.  Utterly immature but I love it. :D

Sunderland fans hire plane to fly over St James' Park mocking Newcastle's relegation

Alan Elliott, who runs the business, said: “All I can tell you at the moment is that it couldn’t particularly be described as a goodwill message from the Sunderland supporters.

“It’s quite amusing and witty.

“They want us to be there about halfway through the first half so it’ll be around 3.15pm to 3.30pm.”

Newcastle United fans in shock as they 0-0 draw against Aston Villa at Villa Park while Sunderland win

Mr Elliot also revealed that the last time the company flew over Newcastle, “We spent three months fending off death threats.”

He added: “It hasn’t put us off this time – it’s what we do.”

JS89911184.jpg

The playoffs are great for the neutral and for those unlikely to make automatic promotion, but they're very cruel on those who just miss out on the top 2 spots (like us last year, and especially so Brighton this year). They do keep the league interesting for a good proportion of the teams in the league and avoid dead rubbers from February onwards, as people have said.

I do think the team in third should get some advantage though, which is why I like the alternative playoff format of 6th v 5th, winner v 4th, winner v 3rd. If the team in 6th gets promoted after beating the 3 teams above in a row, then fair play, but it also gives the team in 3rd, who quite possibly finished 15 points clear of 6th, some advantage - they've had an extra break, they've avoided the risk of injuries and suspensions etc.

Just hope play-offs are never used to decide the overall champion, as per other sports. Surprised the Premier League hasn't introduced them for a European place, although I suppose if it was the Europa League, most sides just couldn't be bothered. Be like that time the two Indonesian teams decided to bang in own goals to avoid a semi-final with a team suspected of being run by the local mafia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NYUtpkmBgI