Football thread 2015/16 season.

Naysonymous

9 minutes ago, Ork1927 said:

No mention of how promotion and relegation would work to organise this. How do they remove 4 teams from the Championship while also reducing the leagues below?

No promotion from League One down and 4 teams relegated from each division??

Its going to hit revenue for clubs.

With this and Qatar messing everything up it may be a while until we get a 'normal' season again.

No promotion from League One down, what would be the point of those teams continuing? Nothing to play for, no dreams of reaching the Premiership.

3 minutes ago, MrCarrot said:

I don't think Ork meant no promotion ever, but in the season before the change would brought in.

Yes, that's what I meant, but that one season would be pointless - once a team is safe from relegation then its season over. You'd almost see teams not even trying to finish top once they were safe as who wants to win the league the year it means nothing,

So there would have to be at least one promotion spot?, but then you have to relegate 5 teams from the Championship to get down to 20.

Interesting that the Premier League has agreed it in principle - whats it got to do with them really unless this is part of a larger plan such as B teams or mid-week FA Cup games, etc. Actually its probably the latter - "we've listened to the fans that like mid-week games so we've moved the FA Cup to midweek".

Fixture congestion doesn't really exist in the FL except when a team goes on an FA Cup run or where lower league teams are more vulnerable to weather postponements so if this is to reduce congestion I assume that's congestion for poor little Man U and Arsenal rather than Accrington and Wimbledon.

It's bollocks. The FA need to be seen to be doing something. 

The Accrington quote isn't quite as 'hyperbolic' when you consider their average home attendance is just over a 1000 for most games. Losing the revenue of just three games would make a difference. No cup replays will also hurt lower league clubs. A fair amount have had televised replays or replays at Premier League grounds and that can pay for the club to run for four or five months. 

The FA should be looking at lower league clubs scrapping their academies or being unable to fund reserve teams or even selling off their training grounds.

Are there any Wednesday fans here who have supporter / owls ids who aren't able to make the play offs? I only have one ID and don't fancy going on my own -would appreciate it if someone could give me theirs!

Thanks

From a sporting perspective, I favour any move away from these nebulous 24-team divisions where a large number of teams spend their season in a state of mere existence. But if the FA, Football League and anyone else involved can't provide a written and outlined guarantee that an increase in provided funds and trickling down TV money from the Premier League will be provided to make up the shortfall that comes with a loss of four home games, including the effect this has on club support staff, then they can stick it alongside any plans to scrap FA Cup replays.

They shouldn't have trouble locating it, it's where the 39th game sits.

To be fair, United fans have to take what they can get these days. Liverpool losing, brief moments every month or two of something approximating interesting football, Jose Mourinho being spotted wearing a red hat, whatever really.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that may be only slightly worse than painting the match day mascot kids blue to promote the same film.

The marketing department at Man Utd will stop at nothing to make a buck.

Man Utd's sponsorship deals are incredible.

"Official Filipino Photocopy Paper Provider to Manchester United!" 

"Thailand's Official Crisp Partner"

"The Official Manchester United Dishwasher Tablet Manufacturer in Peru"

And so on.

Today's going to be a conundrum for a vast majority of people in this thread. Man Utd vs Alan 'Chocolate' Pardew. Who to hate the most. I hope Palace win because of two ex-players - Puncheon and (especially) Bolasie; Yannick Bolasie lived near me when he played for Plymouth Argyle and he's an absolutely lovely guy. 

I think Man Utd'll win in extra time. Rooney with the winner announcing he's ready for Euro 2016 to the consternation of this thread.

9 hours ago, emjay2kay said:

Man Utd's sponsorship deals are incredible.

"Official Filipino Photocopy Paper Provider to Manchester United!" 

"Thailand's Official Crisp Partner"

"The Official Manchester United Dishwasher Tablet Manufacturer in Peru"

And so on.

And some of them are a total gift for the likes of Paddyo.

3L0XQfJ.jpg

4 hours ago, neoELITE said:

Today's going to be a conundrum for a vast majority of people in this thread. Man Utd vs Alan 'Chocolate' Pardew. Who to hate the most. I hope Palace win because of two ex-players - Puncheon and (especially) Bolasie; Yannick Bolasie lived near me when he played for Plymouth Argyle and he's an absolutely lovely guy. 

I think Man Utd'll win in extra time. Rooney with the winner announcing he's ready for Euro 2016 to the consternation of this thread.

Never want Man United to win so much as a corner. However, got a mate who's a Palace fan, but a really, really gobby one. Any time Palace do anything remotely of note, he turns into Superfan #99. So while I still hope Palace win, the very small silver lining is if United win their 80th FA Cup or whatever it is, matey will stay quiet.

The problem is if Palace win then it pretty much means van Gaal is going to get the sack. It'd be hilarious to see him and his filosophee put everyone involved through another dull season.

If they get Jose in they'll be a proper outfit again within a couple of years.

25 minutes ago, Revival said:

The problem is if Palace win then it pretty much means van Gaal is going to get the sack. It'd be hilarious to see him and his filosophee put everyone involved through another dull season.

If they get Jose in they'll be a proper outfit again within a couple of years.

Yep. Just like Chelsea this seas.... oh.

Not long listened to latest Football Weekly and, after getting over the Europa League final round-up with a small cry and a wistful stare into the distance, they dropped in that Palace scored 39 league goals to Man United's 49.

So while this points towards a drab, low-scoring affair later, I've stuck 50p on a high-scoring ding-dong battle, just because this season is clearly a glimpse of a rip in the space time continuum and a weird 5th dimension we haven't yet transcended, so 5-4 is actually the most likely thing to happen.