Football thread 2015/16 season.

Naysonymous

Can anyone name a defining Rooney performance for England? Something like Beckham dragging us back against Greece in WC 2002 qualifying, Owen against Argentina or even Walcott against Croatia. can't think of any. The best I can think of is against Portugal in 2004 before he was injured.

That was never a penalty and England aren't looking particularly slick against poor opponents. Still 49 goals in 105 games is impressive consistency over nearly 12 years in the national side.

Vs Crotia in 2004 is the only other one that springs to mind.

What a shocking team we have. We have no world class players and no one to get excited about.

:lol: bloody hell, i know england can struggle to get the pulses racing but really, not one player in that squad excites you?

tons of potential to be realised, once Woy shuffles off after the Euro's i'd be optimistic for the future really.

Incredible to think the Dutch might not make it. Turkey's remaining two games are against sides who will have already qualified, barring Iceland somehow getting beat by Kazakhstan tonight. Of course, the Netherlands' last two games are likewise against teams with nothing to play for.

Whatever happens, I wouldn't want either of those two in the playoffs, should Ireland make it.

Iceland qualify with a 0-0 draw against Kazakhstan. The place has a smaller population than Coventry(!)

Dunno what this means for the Dutch, this international break has been a disaster for them but I can still see them making the playoffs. They need to win both of their final games and hope that Turkey drop points somewhere, this will probably happen.

:lol: bloody hell, i know england can struggle to get the pulses racing but really, not one player in that squad excites you?

tons of potential to be realised, once Woy shuffles off after the Euro's i'd be optimistic for the future really.

Please guys, stop saying 'Woy'.

I didn't watch the Scotland game, my attention being elsewhere, but I can imagine they showed more creativity and talent in defeat against Germany than Ireland did across their two games this weekend.

And right now, I don't care. That unthinkable four point cushion means that however many points Scotland take off Poland next month, Ireland have to grab in their final two games to make the playoffs. Should Scotland win their game - certainly a possibility - then Ireland will likely be in the curious position where victory would take them to France, anything less would send them out altogether.

This is nowhere near over.

I was going to say a shame about the Northern Ireland result but I've just seen they nabbed a late equaliser against Hungary. It's not qualification, not yet, but they're in the playoffs at least and just need two more points.

At least both sides' startling pessimism is still on display. :P

I'm counting no laurels*. Scotland v Poland at Hampden is the sort of game that could easily go Scotland's way, and if they do that, I make them favourites because there's no way Ireland will beat either Germany at home or Poland away.

* but I am mixing metaphors, it would seem.

Just got back from Poland v Gibraltar, meeting two English Spurs fans (complete with banner) who have been following Gibraltar for qualification and flying here there and everywhere in their quest to follow the new minnows of international football, despite never having been to the place. Eight nil down by the 75th minute and our little group of supporters - made up of us three plus family of the players - were simply hoping for anything other than double figures. What followed though, was an 87th minute Messi-esque goal from Jake Gosling that had us all more than happy that we made the trip. My new found friends had spent roughly £200 on this trip, with more outlayed for the journey to Tblisi (via Kiev for a friendly against Spain) for the next Gibraltar game.

Vodkas and beers were gladly bought afterwards and for £29, I'm happy I made it out for the game today. Next is Legia Warsaw on Friday, that my Polish friends have made clear that they'll certainly not be accompanying me on the grounds that it'll be full of terrifying ultras. Obviously I'll be going, just on my own unless I find other curious football goers on the way.

Definitely not over for Scotland. We (Ireland) have to play the World Champions, who still need a win to top the group, and then play away to a really good Poland team. Scotland will win their last game away to Gibraltar and could sneak a point at home to Poland. Lots of twists left in our group.

The only thing that gives me hope is that surely we are destined to meet Holland in the play-offs for about the hundredth time.

Guam seem to have put their defeat to Iran behind them, and grabbed a pretty good (on the face of it) 0-0 draw at home to Oman. It seems likely at this stage that those two will be fighting for the second spot and potential progress to the third round, assuming Iran take the group comfortably.

The big concern for Guam is probably that all their good results have come at home. They go to Turkmenistan next month, where Iran only managed a draw, then India in November, and they'll need points. The competition doubles up as Asian Cup qualifying, with third place enough to go through to the final round of qualifying rather than a potential two rounds of playoffs. Second place may even be enough for automatic qualification, and what a party that would be.

The only thing that gives me hope is that surely we are destined to meet Holland in the play-offs for about the hundredth time.

Yeah, the playoffs aren't going to be the cakewalk that many would have envisaged. UEFA's coefficient rankings will be used to seed it, and Ireland are likely to be in the bottom half of the teams that make it.

who can tell me more about the Czechs?

I had a look at their team and their midfield and frontline consist almost entirely of domestic based players I'm not familiar with. their results have been solid but not spectacular, though I've not seen any of the games so that could be misleading.

have they qualified because of the Turkish and Dutch meltdowns or is there something exciting going on? they were great when i was a kid, would be nice having them back to their best. do they have any players who are really good and have names that are fun to say like Poborsky.

Definitely not over for Scotland. We (Ireland) have to play the World Champions, who still need a win to top the group, and then play away to a really good Poland team. Scotland will win their last game away to Gibraltar and could sneak a point at home to Poland. Lots of twists left in our group.

Part of me would like a draw between Scotland and Poland because then a point off Poland would take us into the playoffs and a win would take us to France automatically.

However my head says that even the prospect of needing 1 point off Germany or Poland terrifying and I should pray for a Poland win and hope we get lucky in the playoffs.