IGNORED

Football thread 2015/16 season.

Naysonymous

Well if anyone would be an authority on shit teams it's a Spurs supporter.

Oh I forgot it's different rules when it's Chelsea so it's not at all like being able to dish it out but not able to take it. I SEE :lol:

I think the main difference is that everyone hates Chelsea.

With other teams some people will have some sort of admiration for a team other than their own, but with Chelsea it's pretty much only their own fans.

I think the main difference is that everyone hates Chelsea.
And? It should have no influence on your support for your chosen team.

I don't know why some fans are so desperate to achieve things on the back of a sycophantic popularity contest. The need to have other fans having some kind of admiration for what you do is a surprisingly insecure mindset.

When I read Sky Sports headlines like:

Mane equaliser denies Klopp

Surely the professional headline would be Mane equaliser denies Liverpool no? It just sums up a hell of a lot that's wrong with the game and the culture these days. What's more important the club or the manager? Football has just turned into a shit reality show.

Well if anyone would be an authority on shit teams it's a Spurs supporter.

Oh I forgot it's different rules when it's Chelsea so it's not at all like being able to dish it out but not able to take it. I SEE :lol:

chill out Jose it's just football

And? It should have no influence on your support for your chosen team.

I don't know why some fans are so desperate to achieve things on the back of a sycophantic popularity contest. The need to have other fans having some kind of admiration for what you do is a surprisingly insecure mindset.

When I read Sky Sports headlines like:

Mane equaliser denies Klopp

Surely the professional headline would be Mane equaliser denies Liverpool no? It just sums up a hell of a lot that's wrong with the game and the culture these days. What's more important the club or the manager? Football has just turned into a shit reality show.

Denies Klopp his first victory. Klopp being our new manager is currently the most interesting aspect of LFC from a media/mainstream punter view. Since when were the mainstream media "professional"? They are a business and want to get the most views etc as possible I guess.

I agree though the media are weird about managers, they have obvious favourites and then managers that they gouge at the slightest possibility.

We play them next at St Mary's. They've had some really bad luck with injuries and teams out of the top 6 can't afford a squad that can cope with that.

I hope they do well.. just not next weekend.

You were a League 1 side not long ago. Pipe down.

I thought Southampton were lucky to score. Mingolet had nothing to save.

Every week you feel like Chelsea will push on and possibly mount a bid for the title but it is looking more likely a relegation battle and its great - no one likes Chelsea as they have no history or support outside of $$$$$$ - even Man City get an easier ride!

I don't even mind Jose most of the time even if he s a classless ass - perfect match I guess.

You took my caveat off it, its relevant - Chelsea don't even have a local rival in the city with the most clubs....

QPR and Fulham are both in the same borough or don't they count for some reason?

And while it isn't huge they do have a traditional fan base, unfortunately it's populated exclusively by cunts. Much like the club's ownership, management and playing staff. I think that's why no one likes them.

QPR and Fulham are both in the same borough or don't they count for some reason?

Yeah, thats the game that Sky pen in at the start of the season - Chelsea v QPR or Fulham...

Local rivals like sorth vs south London with Spurs v Arsenal, Everton v Liverpool, Man U v Man City, Norwich v Ipswich as I'm sure you well know!

no one likes Chelsea as they have no history or support outside of $$$$$$ - even Man City get an easier ride!

You're right to say that if this happened to City, there wouldn't be nearly as much schadenfreude. However they play more attractive football, and have a more likeable manager. It's nothing to do with their history or the size of their support, you only have to look at Liverpool and United to see what that gets you, in terms of goodwill when things start to go wrong.

I read Chris Sutton's defence of his mate the other day, about how Sherwood was always manager material, how the problems at Villa aren't his fault and how he got the best out of Benteke (which Benteke himself has refuted at least once and said was nothing to do with him) and, ultimately, how it would be madness to sack him now.

Nayson, as a fan, how much blame should reasonably be attributed to Sherwood? Villa have had big problems for a long time and when the club don't spend/don't have the money to spend, what expectations should there be? Sherwood is clearly a bit of an idiot ("There won't be any more relegation scraps under me," etc) but anybody that goes in there is up against it. I presume any chance of turning things around rely a fair bit on Lerner being able to sell the club?

I think the first thing to say about Sherwood is that he kept us up last season and he deserves credit for that. Even if all he did was give everybody a kick up the arse it worked and we survived but there were times at the back end of last season where we genuinely looked like a decent team, we were magnificent in the semi final of the cup and in the games surrounding that fixture we looked good in winning at White Hart Lane, we smashed Everton and we gave Manchester City a run for their money at their place but the Southampton result (L 6-1) seemed to do for Tim, we'd been having a bit of success with a high line and pressing before that but once we met a side who got in behind and tore us to shreds it seemed he didn't really know what to do. I'm still of the opinion Sherwood didn't expect Theo Walcott to be fit for the FA Cup final and had prepared for an Arsenal side who would have had a target man leading the line rather than someone who could expose our shortcomings at the back and we just froze, since then it's been like he's been throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks.

And that's the problem with Sherwood, he's so brash when things are going well that it's even more noticeable that he clams up and doesn't know what to say when things aren't going well. Talk is cheap and he didn't seem to realise that declaring he's "gutted" after another loss just doesn't cut it when it keeps happening. Yes, he got Benteke playing well again but his form under Sherwood was really only him getting back to his form of early 2013 when he was for a few months the most prolific forward in Europe who didn't answer to the name Messi or Ronaldo. Losing a player of that class was always going to be difficult, especially when you are not backed by your chairman (3rd lowest net spend in the division last summer and our overall wage bill almost certainly dropped) but we've won one league game all season and we were hardly convincing in that game, even if the board expected us to struggle because so many new faces have been brought into the squad I don't think they expected us to be bottom of the league and adrift at this point. It's unacceptable, Tim had to go and I think he's probably finished as a top flight manager now, I mean who is honestly going to give him a third chance?

As for where we go, it seems that ex Arsenal defender Remi Garde is the overwhelming favourite to be offered the job at the moment. I remember him as a player and he looked about 50 back then, he is almost 50 now and just looking at his CV online it seems he's paid his coaching dues in France under Gerard Houllier before having a relatively successful tenure in charge of Lyon where he won the French cup and qualified for the Champions League before resigning last summer for 'personal reasons' which remain unclear to this day.

He's been linked with moves to Brighton and Newcastle in the past twelve months so it might be that he's looking to come back to England, whether he's the right man for the job is hard to say but we've tried inexperienced managers twice now in Lambert and Sherwood and neither worked out so is going for it again a good idea? I'd rather have moved last month and beat Sunderland to the punch in getting Big Sam in, it would be shite football but you'd always back Sam to keep you up.

Every week you feel like Chelsea will push on and possibly mount a bid for the title but it is looking more likely a relegation battle and its great - no one likes Chelsea as they have no history or support outside of $$$$$$ - even Man City get an easier ride!

This is 101 cliche nonsense, Every team who has won the league has done it with at the time comparitive major backing. I know there's supposed to be this romance with football pre 2001 but when you look back at Liverpool in their heyday all of that was achieved on the back of investment and profits from what was then Vernons Pools which was far in excess of the other teams. They weren't paying wages and signing players with tins of spam and lettuce.

I don't know who opposition fans are trying to appeal to by saying that no one likes Chelsea, No one at Chelsea could give a monkeys. Football has moved on.

A friend of mine hosts a Villa podcast, normally it's just him complaining about how shit we are but in light of Sherwood's sacking I thought there might be a bit of interest from non Villa fans so I'll link to it: http://www.astonvillareview.com/2015/10/aston-villa-review-episode-134-tim.html?m=1

Posting from a phone so apologies for ugly url.

This is 101 cliche nonsense, Every team who has won the league has done it with at the time comparitive major backing. I know there's supposed to be this romance with football pre 2001 but when you look back at Liverpool in their heyday all of that was achieved on the back of investment and profits from what was then Vernons Pools which was far in excess of the other teams. They weren't paying wages and signing players with tins of spam and lettuce.

I don't know who opposition fans are trying to appeal to by saying that no one likes Chelsea, No one at Chelsea could give a monkeys. Football has moved on.

You said it yourself, comparative. Chelsea got bought and blew everyone out the water.

It's okay, just be at peace with the fact you're a rich man's excuse not to be assassinated by Putin and will fade into obscurity when he leaves/is offed.