Football thread 2015/16 season.

Naysonymous

Benitez has always been a coach whose methods take time to bear fruit. Madrid were never going to give him enough time but this is ridiculous even for them, its not like they are languishing in mid table.

Third is as far down the table as they will ever go.

:lol: I can't be the only one to support a top team and also my home town.

To be honest I've followed Boro alot more these last 4 years since leaving home and attended the odd away game. I live in Sheffield now.

Im a secret owl too.

You're kidding me right. Home team or nothing, football law.

As someone pointed out, you could quite possibly next season have in the Europa League, Real Madrid vs Manchester United. Managed by Zinedine Zidane and Ryan Giggs, respectively.

On a somewhat related note, someone I follow on Twitter pointed out that it's somewhat alarming that the managers of the four biggest clubs in Spain are now Luis Enrique, Zinedine Zidane, Diego Simeone and Gary Neville. This makes me feel old as they are all guys I still kinda think of as players first. They all played in the 2002 World Cup finals!

Zlatan played in 2002. It wasn't that long ago, right? :unsure:

Really? Must be a popularity contest. Vardy and Kane are two strikers who have been much better than Rooney over the year never mind players on other positions.

England's. Not English. The player who did best for the England national team.

Bit of a farcical line up. Wasn't that long ago when the press would be up in arms for teams not putting out competitive teams. It's the natural result of having so many games in such a short period of time though I guess, something has to give.

League 2 clubs have very small squads but still have to play just as many games (potentially) - last season, my League 2 team played 53 games. It's always seemed nonsense to me that a mid 20s man who is a finely tuned athlete is unable to play twice a week.

Bit of a farcical line up. Wasn't that long ago when the press would be up in arms for teams not putting out competitive teams. It's the natural result of having so many games in such a short period of time though I guess, something has to give.

Also we have so many injuries you're likely to see those players in the league as well.

League 2 clubs have very small squads but still have to play just as many games (potentially) - last season, my League 2 team played 53 games. It's always seemed nonsense to me that a mid 20s man who is a finely tuned athlete is unable to play twice a week.

Nobody is saying players are unable to play twice in a week but when the competition is played at such a high level the finest margins are what make the difference. When a player is even slightly fatigued that is where the issues come.

Whilst I tend to agree that professional players should be able to play twice a week, it is a bit unfair to compare the Premier League to League 2. The pace and intensity of the games are vastly different, meaning players wear and tear a lot quicker. May not look like it on TV, but go sit in the front row of a Premier League game and it is truly amazing the speed and power that some of these guys operate.