Top Gear - Series 24

Caught up with it today, mixed bag for me - MLB is really good and in parts Evans was better but as said most of the studio stuff is awful and the star in a shit car section is terrible!

I didn't think they made enough of the McLaren section having that mega F1 there, I recall Clarkson with the Aston as one of the best bits of Top Gear ever and the F1 should have been up there but I just don't think Evans is the man for it - once he had Jenson with him the film was much better.

All in all - lessshitthaniexpected/10

It's going to take time to find its feet again; for the new presenting team to gel; and for the audiences to get used to the fact that it's different now.  I reckon it'll take a couple of series' to settle into its groove.

itd be interesting to compare how this compares in terms of ratings and appreciation with the early episodes of the show when it was first revamped by Clarkson.

I've enjoyed the first couple of episodes (especially LeBlanc) and think it will remain successful, but that it needs time to bed in.

8 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

Caught up with it today, mixed bag for me - MLB is really good and in parts Evans was better but as said most of the studio stuff is awful and the star in a shit car section is terrible!

I didn't think they made enough of the McLaren section having that mega F1 there, I recall Clarkson with the Aston as one of the best bits of Top Gear ever and the F1 should have been up there but I just don't think Evans is the man for it - once he had Jenson with him the film was much better.

All in all - lessshitthaniexpected/10

I forgot to mention Jenson.  He's always great in front of the camera whatever he's doing, he should be a presenter when he retires from F1.

Episode 2 was better,

The McLaren section was good, Especially Jenson (and the schadenfreude of seeing Evans really, really terrified). Africa film OK, though I'll echo the thoughts about EJ being surplus to requirements (aside - interesting to note his driving style in the "race" around the city - might be 35 years since he was a racing driver but he still sits in the car like one).

But the reasonably priced car section, which was already usually a low point of the show, has got even longer and more boring in the new format.

15 hours ago, davidcotton said:

Anyone who expects Evan's to turn it down and "be less shouty" obviously hasn't been paying attention for the last decade or so.

No chance of that happening anyway he even joked about it in the opening intro. God this is awful I'm only 30 minutes in and I'm turning it off. Bye bye Top Gear was good while it lasted.

I always dipped in and out of TG over the years - I liked it but it was all a bit samey and contrived so I'd never quite stomach a full series of hilarious vaguely car-oriented mishaps. I find it hard to find anything seriously wrong with the new series other than for anyone that was hoping for major changes or can't watch a programme that doesn't feature Clarkson saying every sentence in the same strangely melodramatic manner. This all just seems like standard overblown backlash that will evaporate in another week or two of perfectly acceptable TV.

If anything the 'new' version seems slightly better, just for having some different people and slightly toning down the adventures. (Well, ok, the wildlife photography this week was stretching it but at least none of the cars blew up. And SIARPC needs to be destroyed ASAP.)

At least with the wildlife section the presenters seemed genuinely in awe of where they were and what they were seeing rather than, I dunno, claiming to shoot one and then strapping it to the roof of their car before introducing not The Stig but The Stigs African Cousin.

Just caught the second episode.

I enjoyed the challenge and the McClaren review was good. Jenson Button is always cool.

Skipped Star in a Sycophantic Interview bit as usual, and fast forwarded through Extra Gear to see what was in it. Complete waste of time. Chris Harris always seems really crap, like he's short on time and has to talk at 300 words a minute. They need to let him do a proper review.

Chris Harris bit was ace. I've seen his youtube videos so kind of knew what to expect but he really shines when paired up with Top Gears budget. It just makes me wish he was one of the two primaries though :(

Aside from that its ok but the humour still feels a bit forced.

Really enjoyed that, apart from the chat show in the middle, the F12tdf oh my that was a wonderful car and Sabine is always entertaining. Less Evans helped too, having Matt take the helm of the studio sections worked well. 

Less Chris Evans seemed to work this week. LeBlanc seems to be finding his feet and I like the new presenters.

It was nothing spectacular, but it was thoroughly entertaining throughout, baring SIARPC, but given the flack its been getting, I feel the need to come here and say I enjoyed it...

personally its not Chris Evans per se I have a massive issue with, I really liked the Laguna Seca bit (though Sabine probably had more to do with that) - its shouty hyper Evans that grates on me, especially in the studio. 

far too much round of applause for ..... stuff in the studio, not sure if that is aimed for the British audience of the US who need to see people clapping to know something was good.

recorded it to FFWD thru SIARPC and left with a decent 40m programme - not up there with the best of the previous trio but a solid watch.

It very much depends on the guests doesn't ti? I quite like Anthony Joshua and the comedy guy (can't remember his name) was pretty funny too and they played off each other. Loved the "That's racism!" joke at the end for example, seemed to fall a little flat with the audience but I was cracking right up. And he obviously had a great love of cars, while Joshua is a hell of a boy racer driver.

The other parts were all well done and entertaining. I think I'll keep watching that's for sure.

Never heard of Joshua. Kevin Hart is the black American Michael McIntyre.

Hate how the presenters clap themselves US style. Also all 3 episodes have featured Evans going for a high five which the other person has reciprocated by shaking his hand. Cringe.

Half way through this on iPlayer. Sabine at Laguna was excellent, Chris Harris bit is excellent.

Haters can only hate for so long if this keeps up.

edit: Motocross guests excellent and they've even squeeed in a genuinly informative consumer car review bit.

Only Block go now for a full house. 

Love the way they're using the whole crew on the main show now. Works well.