IGNORED

Rare Replay - 30 Rare/Ultimate Games in one pack - Xbox One - August 2015 - £19.99

Goose

Watching that Twitch stream and hearing that soundtrack again. After I got stuck at the two insect bosses I bet my college friend he couldn't beat the game over the weekend confident he wouldn't be able to get past them. Of course he did easily and ended up wondering what I was complaining about. I never managed to get past them back in the day but looking around his save file I did find the best soundtrack from Rare in those, the amazing Water Ruins.

There's something truly amazing about Jet Force Gemini. The insect AI was superb. Obviously this was way before Halo, and when I played one of the levels where you fought them down in some cavern tunnels, it really made me feel like I was playing Aliens.

Jet Force Gemini is by far the shiniest gem in that collection for me - almost makes me want to get an Xbox One just to play this 'remastered' version!

Watching that stream made me realise how much of a pioneer for 3D third-person shooters is actually was. I loved it to bits after borrowing it once, so I bought it, sold it for some reason, then re-bought it. And I would pay full price for a remaster if it weren't for Rare Replay :)

I specifically remember giving up finishing it initially when I couldn't find ONE Tribal bear, then started all over again and went straight to the finish.

My favourite tune:

Pleased to see Robin Beanland was in that stream in which they showed off all the improvements!

Had a go at the first Jetpac (couldn't understand the second*) and Atic Attac which positively cries out for map drawing but for me the highlights were always going to be the N64 era games.

Man, Blast Corps :wub::wub::wub: Such a simple idea. The only problem I have is controlling the truck which needs to fishtail with the rear end to do damage.

Had a quick go with JFG which immediately makes you realise how hard wired (and thus dependent you get on) modern control schemes have become (particularly right stick for camera and a to jump), but otherwise looks and sounds great.

The whole package is beautifully presented throughout, but then again you already knew that.... Collecting stamps for milestones gradually unlocks the features / making of / artwork etc as you would expect. It's going to take ages to complete everything on this.

Now for Banjo.

* although there are full manuals for each game included.

My pre-order has finally finished downloading, now the wait for it to unlock.

Rare games really did have some fantastic music in those days, another great track (which is still my ringtone) is the credits music from Perfect Dark. I can still remember queueing up to get it outside Woolworths when it was released, the first time I'd ever done that. It was only me and a woman who was buying it for her son in the store when it opened. I was shocked it was an 18 and had to convince the store assistant I was when I bought it as I was only 16 at the time. The woman just dismissed the age rating after the assistant mentioned saying she trusted her son and bought it anyway. Ah those heady N64 Magazine hyped days when Perfect Dark felt like the most futuristic game ever to someone who only owned an N64 :)

I've gone digital too - I'm finding disc swapping a faff I have less and less patience for

Its got to be all about the blast corp for me too - just hope I've not been wearing rose tinted specs all these years, then I can't wait to go back to the spectrum games

the download queues are killing my machine, can't load or log into anything else so had to give up playing anything for now.

As long as your console is set to Instant On and you have a good internet connection, one night should be plenty of time to download most stuff.

Of course, if you can't get fibre that's no good to you...

How big is the full package then, and can you download games individually or is it all in one hit?

I'm going to have to get myself an external drive if it's the latter.

Had a go at the first Jetpac (couldn't understand the second*) and Atic Attac which positively cries out for map drawing but for me the highlights were always going to be the N64 era games.

The problem with drawing a map for Atic Atac is that there's one room which fits inbetween a bunch of other rooms. It shouldn't physically fit in there. Vexing!

http://gamesdbase.com/Media/SYSTEM/Sinclair_ZX_Spectrum/Map/big/Atic_Atac_-_1983_-_Ultimate_-_Play_the_Game.jpg

This presents the usual MAME problem for me. There's so much to choose from that I don't know what to start with and doubt I'll spend more than an hour on anything.

I think it's got to be some of the Microsoft stuff I haven't played before, meaning Kameo or Grabbed by the Ghoulies but probably not Perfect Dark Zero...

The problem with drawing a map for Atic Atac is that there's one room which fits inbetween a bunch of other rooms. It shouldn't physically fit in there. Vexing!

http://gamesdbase.com/Media/SYSTEM/Sinclair_ZX_Spectrum/Map/big/Atic_Atac_-_1983_-_Ultimate_-_Play_the_Game.jpg

That can't be accurate! That game must have had 200 screens at least! Goodness, what an affect time has on the mind.

Thanks, it's bigger than I thought it would be (although smaller than Goose remembers).

This presents the usual MAME problem for me. There's so much to choose from that I don't know what to start with and doubt I'll spend more than an hour on anything.

This. It's very tempting to take each game out for a spin, particularly if you want to collect stamps as quickly as possible to view the bonus content (because you get one the first time you play each game). I'm trying to take it more slowly and in particular I plan to only work on one large platformer (BK) and one shooter (?) at a time. Plus Blast Corps (for which it seems the Back Lash has always been notoriously difficult to control).

I'm sure it's been posted elsewhere but if it hasn't, the 360 games are emulations which don't add any new achievements - the stamps you gain with these are based solely on % progress made in gaining the original achievements. I'm guessing that if you have save games in the cloud then these are accessible.

Anyone played RC Pro Am yet? That's the highlight of the collection for me.

Fired it up and had a few races - it's fun once you adjust to the handling.

Also, finally completed Argent Towers in BC - the second building cluster was just doing my nut, I couldn't find a sweet spot from which to get an efficient use of backlash with the slippery dirt and slow grass surfaces. After that it gets easier again with the buildings close enough to get some decent wheelies between them.

Yeah the Xbone will run games happily from a USB3.0 external HDD, I've got a 2Tb one plugged in and it's perfect. The new consoles both run all the games from HDD as the blu ray drive read speed is too slow to be of any use for game load times.

Question to the guys who have the game - can you play every game at full screen? Those borders are going to destroy my new plasma haha

No, but there is an option to play the older games without the borders. Also an option to superimpose a CRT type filter.

No, but there is an option to play the older games without the borders. Also an option to superimpose a CRT type filter.

so is there a full screen option for select games only? Could of sworn I read rare tweet that all games could be stretched to full screen. Is cooker at least one of those games? : /