rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Uzi

Super Mario Maker

Think there was a thread but I like your op so woo!

Would love to know how long the levels can be.

Little big planet's level editor was too complex. I remember sitting through loads of tutorials. By the time I was onto later ones I had forgotten earlier ones. Plus the game was ok but not wonderful.

The touch screen should mean Mario Maker is much easier to use. The editor in Mario v Donkey Kong DS was fine.

Day one purchase for me.

• Upvote 1

this does look amazing, everything I ever wanted LBP to be but wasn't (i.e a decent 2d platformer and manageable tools)

what it will hinge on though is how they handle discoverability, Nintendo don't like online that much, and even less the idea of free speech, how will we get to learn where the great levels are or discover them, they can't curate the whole thing. I'm assuming that full online publishing and sharing is included, and it won't be like the original (and highly limited) Trials was on XBox360

Can't wait for this, didn't realise the book was part of the standard package which is great. Means I won't need to keep my eyes peeled for preorders being sold out.

Unlocking the amiibo sprites through other peoples stages is nice too. The most popular level is going to be called something like 'unlock every amiibo' and consist entirely of a big flat stage full of question blocks full of special mushrooms. But there should be some amazing stuff too. It's basically going to be the game little big planet should have been.

Online sharing looks like it builds on the system in Mario vs Donkey Kong Tipping Stars, so you can follow users, see friends levels, latest levels, popular levels etc. You can leave miiverse comments and also see where people have died in your levels. I think it also determines the difficulty of levels by how many times people die and you can filter by difficulty. Basically it looks like a good system.

I haven't seen any slopes, I imagine it would be difficult to convert them to blocks when changing to older tile sets. It would be a shame if you cant use them though.

• Upvote 1

It looks amazing. I really love the sound design, with that vocoder voice saying the item and enemy names melodically along with the background music whenever you select or place them in the editor. Really cool.

Imagine if Nintendo threw in the originals as a gift.

If they don't, some ingeneous bastard will no doubt have them up within a week of it being out.

• Upvote 2

This looks great and will be a day one purchase purely for making SMW levels.

My only reservations are that some of the new additions to the 8-bit and 16-bit version of the game look too advanced in terms of movement and physics. Additionallly I hate that a lot of the showcased levels simply spam giant enemies, items and precision jumps. It's a really cheap way of challenging the player and if the levels end up being Super Mario - Meat Boy Edition then the replay value is going to be short-lived. That said some of the levels in that Championships video were excellent.

I don't get your point there at all. People make their own levels, if they all end up like Meat Boy then surely that's down to the creator?

I'm already thinking up my own levels because unlike with LBP I feel confident in being able to make them. And the masterpieces of others should make this the best Mario 2D platformer.

Well, it will improve on the original SMB by being able to include elements from the sequels but might need DLC backgrounds to let the community create a true SM3/SMW beater.

• Upvote 1

I don't get your point there at all. People make their own levels, if they all end up like Meat Boy then surely that's down to the creator?

I thought the point was the community shared their levels. I can see insanely hard levels being very popular but as the OP said hopefully there won't be insanely difficult stupid stuff. Once the novelty of all the new object interactions wears off, there's more to designing fun and balanced levels than throwing the kitchen sink at the player and expecting them to perform an exact route through the chaos. It's not a criticism of the game, more an observation of some of the content that has been shown so far.

The ability to include custom backgrounds would be great but sadly I doubt Nintendo will play ball in that regard. Would need it's own editor in the game.

You have to complete a level before you can upload it, so hopefully there won't be too many levels that are sadistic for the sake of it.

• Upvote 2

The fuckers have been reselling them to us again and again and again and again for 22 years now, if they give the lot away with this the universe will collapse in on itself.

• Upvote 1

They don't - they unlock a special mode in the game which is shown in the treehouse video.

It looks like there is the 100 mario challenge with pre made levels and that is how you unlock some stuff too. 1:54 into the E3 trailer shows it a little.

It looks like there is the 100 mario challenge with pre made levels and that is how you unlock some stuff too. 1:54 into the E3 trailer shows it a little.

Apparently it can be used to unlock the extra Amiibo characters if you don't have them as well, so you can get the whole game without additional stuff needed.

I'm so ridiculously excited for this. I love that the music in the editor sings "Mushroom" or "Chain Chomp" or whatever depending on what item you're currently placing, ha. Supercute. I reckon this will easily be game of the year for me.

For all the (deserved) stick Nintendo got for E3, this is still the most exciting game on the release schedule for this year.

• Upvote 2

I'm really looking forward to this. I also feel I can try out making stages without worrying too much about fucking it up. I tried to get into Little Big Planet but it felt bit too complex just to dabble in, and the fact the game has so many updates when you just want to pop it on to play few stages every now and then was not fun.

But yeah, looking forward to it.

This would have been amazing even 10 years ago when I could have the time making nothing but levels all day every day :(

That, and when my love for Bros 3 and World didn't slowly fill with endless critic and old man grumpiness towards how Nintendo treat the plumber these days.

I do, of course, still love Bros 3 and World.

Will still make the raccoon levels I always wanted as a kid.

I wasn't that interested in this to begin with, but those videos out of E3 have changed that. I was particularly impressed with how Nintendo seem to have put effort into making the creation process interesting, with those sound effects & animations that play as you mess around with the level editor, & the level ordering & curation seems to be pretty good too.

Watching one video where someone was designing a SMB Underground level also had me thinking: 'No you fool! Why are you putting those over there? It's obvious that that won't allow the room or time for Mario to get the proper jump momentum!"

I was then that I realised that I was going to get this game.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I think I'm in as well. This would have been the dream game for my 10-year-old self, but grizzled old me isn't confident that he has the time to devote to the creation process.

But it looks like so much fun