rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Uzi

Super Mario Maker

Adoring the chance to defend myself again, everyone has their own slightly different take on what I said in order to take maximum outrage from it :(

In no way am I trying to say that people should only buy things if they have 10x the money in their account just in case the vendor fucks it up. That would be mental. I was referring to that one specific situation outlined by John above in which someone has been charged £300 so they lose their house and starve to death. Completely irrespective of GAME, now, I said that if I had £300 in my account and literally no money coming from anywhere else, I'd spend that money on food and rent before I spend it on videogames. That's not a £300 "buffer," that's literally £300. If you'd spend it on videogames, that's cool, but I wouldn't. It's not about whether you're accidentally going to be overcharged, it's about what you're going to do with the last £300 you have in the whole world. Even assuming I would only be charged once, I still wouldn't be spending £40 of my last £300 on a game. That's a pretty significant sum when all you've got is £300.

But then to go back to John's point:

Not only is it not about a "buffer," but you just deleted my second point so that you could be angry at my first. People will be able to afford their mortgage, food, etc, because GAME are not keeping this money. They will get it back. People will be inconvenienced and that's really annoying but no one will be out of pocket.

Anyway, people can buy what they like with their money and I was wrong to say people shouldn't buy videogames if all they had in their bank account was £300, but I'm not going to say I was wrong to do what I did when I was in that situation, which was to spend money on the stuff that kept me alive first. I'm sorry if I offended anyone but yeah, I wouldn't do anything differently if I had to go back and live like that again.

Bet you're one of them cunts who fumes about the poors having them flatscreen TVs and the like. "How dare they try to alleviate the depression and horrors of having no way out of their hellish lives?!?" That's you that is, without the self-awareness.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Mine's dispatched from the Nintendo store! They don't tend to use very fast couriers so I'm not expecting it before Friday, but at least it's on its way :)

Well just phoned the Game hotline and had another pop at them.. Funds are still held, they were still non-committal about when they would clear (either later today or tomorrow)

Gave them hell over the shambolic communication too. Seems they can't even get an email out to people notifying them of the issue 2 days after it all started.

Stressed compensation would be expected to which the response was "that's under review"!

Fucking GAME! 😡

• Upvote 1

Hypothetically:

I had £500 in my account on Sunday and I get paid on Friday. Out of this I had budgeted whatever this game costs (it's game so £49.99?)

My rent or whatever is £300 and due today. That's fine I would have had £150 left to see me till payday.

Game took £300+ from my account yesterday. I now have < £200 left.

Bank declines to pay the mortgage due to lack of funds and charges me for the privilege - I AM NOW OUT OF POCKET.

Mortgage company isn't happy and potentially make a late payment charge against me - I AM MORE OUT OF POCKET.

Any other potential direct debits such as council tax due between now & Friday for any amount over what I have left will be declined by bank and I'll be charged - MORE OUT OF POCKET.

Games stance as far as I'm reading is "it's cool cos your copy of Mario Maker is in the post". I'm not sure "Sorry Mr Mortgage/Utilities company but Game overcharged me for that cool new Mario making game it was just a blip" will fly very far in recovering said charges. The bank will see what happened once the funds are back but they won't lift a finger - these charges are how they make money - they'll tell you to take it up with Game and good luck with that. Maybe another Watchdog appearance will help - worked wonders with the Sony debacle :coffee:

If you don't get these charges back, I would be amazed.

Bet you're one of them cunts who fumes about the poors having them flatscreen TVs and the like. "How dare they try to alleviate the depression and horrors of having no way out of their hellish lives?!?" That's you that is, without the self-awareness.

In the nicest possible way, fuck off. If you want to call me a cunt I really don't care but don't put words in my mouth and then call me a cunt based on shit I didn't even say.

If people are poor but they budget to afford that stuff then why wouldn't that be cool? That's not the person I'm talking about in the very specific example to which I referred, though.

• Downvote 11

Stressed compensation would be expected to which the response was "that's under review"!

Fucking GAME!

They're probably making sure that they won't send 7 lots of compensation to everyone.

• Upvote 1

If you don't get these charges back, I would be amazed.

Not without a lot of hassle for the customer, I would imagine. I can not anticipate Game cheerfully handing over cash to anyone overcharged who calls up saying "Hi, I got charged £30 by my bank because my direct debits bounced when you took an extra £300 from my account". They may well want evidence in the form of bank statements to ensure that, even where a customer has been charged, that it was due to Game's overcharging. Add to that the inconvenience to the customer in having to be on the phone to the CS desk, collecting and completing documentation, and having to possibly chase up when funds are not put back within agreed timescales. It will be a very ad-hoc process, which in a retail environment means slow and time consuming. As well as the impacts on the credit records of people affected.

Unlike simple overcharging, this involves the company refunding a cost it did not initiate. If Game charge me £40 for a £30 product it is simple for them to identify and refund the extra tenner. If their behaviour results in a cost to the customer then they need to verify it through an additional, unwieldy process.

The usual retail solution for overcharging is store credit or discount codes. Which will be a bit of a kick in the nuts for anyone who would rightly be questioning why on Earth they should ever use this retailer again for their online purchases.

Completely irrespective of GAME, now, I said that if I had £300 in my account and literally no money coming from anywhere else, I'd spend that money on food and rent before I spend it on videogames. That's not a £300 "buffer," that's literally £300. If you'd spend it on videogames, that's cool, but I wouldn't. It's not about whether you're accidentally going to be overcharged, it's about what you're going to do with the last £300 you have in the whole world. Even assuming I would only be charged once, I still wouldn't be spending £40 of my last £300 on a game. That's a pretty significant sum when all you've got is £300.

Toythatkills, you really should just admit that you made a booboo, it's so much easier than all this. I've definitely bought a game before with £300 in my account and bills to pay, working under the assumption that they wouldn't charge me 7 times for no reason.

You're showing angel levels of pig-headed stubborness, here.

• Upvote 8

Are you able to swap out Charles Martinet's voice for random Bob Hoskins soundbites? If so, that will be my first task.

Well that was worth the wait

Phill,

On Monday we became aware of an issue with some isolated orders. This has impacted a number of customers who pre-ordered the Wii U exclusive, Super Mario Maker. We have been working through crediting any pending transactions with our banking partners as a top priority. You should see these appear on your account over the next couple of days as we resolve everything ready for the product release on Friday.

Our warehouse are working hard and are packing everyones order ready for Friday. Please keep an eye out for your shipment confirmation email.

If you have any questions please contact our customer service team on this dedicated hotline number 01256 784400 or email us at customer.services@game.co.uk. We will also be posting updates on our @GAMEHelps twitter page.

Thank you for your patience and we apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Catherine Wilson

Head of Customer Services

I love the way Game says a small number of customers were impacted. Going from what I`ve read here, neogaf and their own twitter feed is there anyone who wasn`t hit by this?

That level looks like an absolute controller breaker for me :)

I've avoided buying this online, wonder if it'll be a struggle to find in the shops this weekend

Game seek order is here. Nice packaging which will go on the shelf to never be looked at again now.

I hate you. (But I'm getting the t shirt from the Nintendo store so I suppose it's worth waiting)

Yup, tbh that looks utterly joyless, to me at least. :wacko: It just goes to show how difficult it is to come up with well balanced/judged 'difficult' gameplay.

Toythatkills, you really should just admit that you made a booboo, it's so much easier than all this. I've definitely bought a game before with £300 in my account and bills to pay, working under the assumption that they wouldn't charge me 7 times for no reason.

You're showing angel levels of pig-headed stubborness, here.

I've been unemployed, £1800 into a £2000 overdraft, avoiding repeated calls daily from my credit card company because I haven't paid off any of my maxed-out card in the last six months, throwing the resulting debt collection letters in the bin because it was easier than opening them. At this point I wasn't thinking about buying video games. I appreciate that not everyone will ever find themselves in that situation and with a job it's pretty easy to buy stuff because you know you've got more money coming next month even if you go over this month a bit. It's not about being charged seven times for a game, it's about being charged one time.

If you or anyone else can genuinely tell me that if you were in the situation I was in above, that you'd spend £40 on a video game, I would be really surprised, but obviously that's your choice and fuck all to do with me. I did what I did, you'd do what you'd do.

But yeah, there's no need to answer that, let's leave it. The box-arts are way prettier than this conversation is!

• Downvote 9

I've been unemployed, £1800 into a £2000 overdraft, avoiding repeated calls daily from my credit card company because I haven't paid off any of my maxed-out card in the last six months, throwing the resulting debt collection letters in the bin because it was easier than opening them. At this point I wasn't thinking about buying video games. I appreciate that not everyone will ever find themselves in that situation and with a job it's pretty easy to buy stuff because you know you've got more money coming next month even if you go over this month a bit. It's not about being charged seven times for a game, it's about being charged one time.

If you or anyone else can genuinely tell me that if you were in the situation I was in above, that you'd spend £40 on a video game, I would be really surprised, but obviously that's your choice and fuck all to do with me. I did what I did, you'd do what you'd do.

But yeah, there's no need to answer that, let's leave it. The box-arts are way prettier than this conversation is!

What?! Why are you referencing this experience? What relevance does it have to anything? We have been talking about the hardship which may be caused by a company taking funds they are not entitled to from a bank account, which is completely different. In fact, how does this anecdote compare in any way with your previous position:

- People who can't afford to buy videogames shouldn't buy videogames.

People with cash to hand can afford videogames, but probably can not afford for a company to take an undisclosed amount from their current account without warning.

• Upvote 7

Nobody is talking about your situation, though. They're saying that it's a joke that people are going to be charged by their banks because Game fucked up. You saying they're going to get their money back is neither here nor there, it's a shit and depressing situation for those that have lost THREE HUNDRED POUNDS because game are inept. Also I can't see game paying for people going into their overdraft because the Mario money left them without enough to pay other direct debits. They'll probably pay back charges their own game caused and that'll be that.

Edit: What he said ^^^^

Of course it's about being charged 7 times. If you've got £300 in your account and you're due to get paid in the next couple of days and you know you've got no other bills. They then proceed to take multiple payments from you account you're not expecting, how the hell is that the purchasers fault? I think your previous situation has clouded your judgement.

Glad you've managed to sort yourself out though.