rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Uzi

Super Mario Maker

Yeah I think they've gone for simplicity. No cheesing the completion with a checkpoint near the end. You have to play a level start to finish properly before you can upload.

I hope they do add more features - the possibilities are endless.

Ah, good point on the positioning there

There was a discussion on Gaf about checkpoints and I'm not sure they'll be added. The problem is that you could place a checkpoint in such a way that if you die after it you can't finish the level, perhaps because you need to be big to break some blocks but there are no mushrooms available that side of the checkpoint. In order to prove you can finish the level, you'd have to do it from the start and also from each checkpoint as small mario, which is a level of complexity that doesn't fit the design of the game. I'd like to be wrong, but I doubt they'll be added.

IMO the 'You have to be able to complete a level before you can upload it' thing is really important because if you do come across something like Kaizo Mario World, full of troll things like invisible blocks in the worst possible places, you know that the level can't be unwinnable & it is possible to complete if you can put up with it.

And if you can't, the other great thing is that there's no penalty for saying that you've had enough & trying something else.

I've uploaded 9 levels my first one is called First attempt the code for it is 54C0-0000-000F-B880.

If you search for that level and click on my Miis portrait you can follow me and play my other levels. They aren't great, but are ok... I guess.

• Upvote 1

Most of the levels - even the top rated ones - are just a mass of bits that seem to have been put anywhere randomly. A bit like the levels in Sonic CD.

Any tips for finding good stages?

• Upvote 1

Most of the levels - even the top rated ones - are just a mass of bits that seem to have been put anywhere randomly. A bit like the levels in Sonic CD.

Any tips for finding good stages?

I guess there'll be a lot of crap at first, but eventually the good will out because you can only upload 10 levels if your levels aren't highly rated. Also, bookmark this site http://makerworlds.net It's not finished yet but it looks promising.

• Upvote 1

I think it's going to take me longer to play and upload my first level than it did to make it. But I'm sure it will be worth it because everyone likes leaps of faith, right?

• Upvote 1

Holy shit, only just noticed the huge hand that appears on the screen when you're drawing in the Gamepad :lol:

Fuck, I love Nintendo. The little sound effects in this are magical.

I can now add Mario level designer to my CV.

65A9-0000-0011-C56O

This is a bit barren at the end because I started swearing so much while trying to reach the goal with my original idea and I haven't unlocked anything yet.

It also has Inkling Boy from Splatoon in it because... thats the only Amiibo I own.

My first level:

A39C-0000-0011-DA34

It seemed like a good idea when I started but it's pretty awful! Hopefully things will get better so follow me :)

GAME look to have refunded me for 6 of the 7 orders.. In the most cackhanded way imaginable it must be said (refunded in two chunks, and charged individually for 7). My bank statement looks a right bloody mess. Had to bust out the calculator to make sure they hadn't screwed me.

Now starts the battle for some form of compensation

..and haven't got the game yet either.

Picked this up today, absolutely charming. Other than 100 Mario whatever, how do I find a stream of levels to play? I can only play them one by one but I thought this let you play 'worlds'.

Made a course, couple of questions..

I thought moving wii u clock forward would unlock everything but it didn't. Am I doing it wrong?

How can I make goombas or koopa troopers stay in one place or turn round once they reach edge of the platform rather than fall to their doom?

Oh

69A2-0000-0012-13F3

It's gonna take me a bit of time to figure out how to make something really good but I've liked what I've played so far!

Here's my first attempt at a level:

0308-0000-0012-1542