rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Uzi

Super Mario Maker

It wouldn't really work without the stylus though, maybe they could bundle one in with the gae that worked on the Switch screen I guess.

26 minutes ago, Fletch said:

It wouldn't really work without the stylus though, maybe they could bundle one in with the gae that worked on the Switch screen I guess.

Capacitive ones are useless.   I'm hoping for a bluetooth mouse.

Just now, JPickford said:

Capacitive ones are useless.   I'm hoping for a bluetooth mouse.

A little Switch mouse would be pretty cool.

TOOT TOOT! Some more level reviews for you.

Mario’s Serenade by MK 8   9F21-0000-03BE-AA9A

A fairly simple level that just requires a little bit of timing here and there, the twist being that the background is a famous Phil Collins number if you like that sort of thing. Bonus points for including a single room that shows you the basic mechanics of how to play a custom tune with note blocks and snappy brown plant things.

The Hidden Valley by Dannyh09   34CA-0000-02AA-C7CA

Some tricky puzzles indeed await the brave explorer who dares enter the forbidden valley! Several puzzle rooms based around the concept of revealing ‘hidden’ blocks which may help or hinder your way through the level. Includes a well-judged difficulty curve with each room becoming increasingly hazardous. I shall have to check out some more of Dannyh09’s levels.

Easy Cave Adventure by JPickford   6A28-0000-0037-A845

Have you ever played Spelunky and thought ‘fuck me this is too hard’? Well here, as the title suggests, is a much more forgiving mini cave adventure. There are a few different routes through the level so why not see if you can find the hidden coins and feather power ups before kicking the crap out of Baby Bowser.

Just Peachy by Saku   9956-0000-025B-A487

Defeat enemies only by using other enemies in this level full of locked doors that can only be opened by killing the appropriate baddie. Some very clever stuff here that does require some good jumping skills but it’s not too frustrating; also contains some pink coins to collect to open an optional secret door that I didn’t manage to do. WARNING – MAY CONTAIN BIG PINK WIGGLERS (missus)

Nikki’s Puzzling Pictures  by Klavik   808C-0000-01F7-19D3

My old pen-pal Nikki stars in this level, which is another collection of puzzle rooms (well, they don’t call me Professor Fumbles for nothing) with a very clever gimmick. Look at the pictures in each room for clues and collect the keys, then get to the end and realise you have to do some backtracking to collect the 4 pink coins for a final surprise! There are no hazards in this stage, the only way to die is by running out of time, which happened to me three times. Ugh, better start brain training again.

• Upvote 1

I've had this game for too long now without making a level, so here is my humble contribution made from the first row and-a-half of tools you get when you first start.

Mild Thing                 BF13-0000-03DA-2A7E               (Staplehead)

This is a short simple level you might find in the first couple of Worlds of SMB, with a few hidden 1-up opportunities here and there. How many extra lives can you milk from the area around the spiny pit?

• Upvote 2

Just a couple of levels tonight, both from the same crazy genius.

Montys Mansion                   AE84-0000-0258-F89D            (Ceave)

There’s a youtube channel called Ceavegaming which is full of videos about mostly Mario games, including Mario Maker, and the stuff that this guy can do is absolutely nuts. (I am assuming this Ceave is the same Ceave as on the channel.) In this multi-room challenge you have to figure out how to defeat the Monty Moles to obtain keys to progress through the mansion, studying level layouts for clues. Very clever, quite easy but satisfying.

Don’t be a Shy Guy!              FF15-0000-0367-75F9             (Ceave)

Here’s another one from Ceave, with an amazing gimmick that is alluded to in the title. How this was made I have no idea, but basically you have to progress through multiple rooms but you can only escape each one if you are NOT a Shy-Guy, which is harder than it sounds as you’re surrounded by damn mystery mushrooms. Very very clever, but hard (I didn’t finish it, sorry.)

Have Nintendo said anything about old levels being compatible with the old stuff and are any of the levels on par with the Nintendo stuff? 

I tried JPickfords course on my stream, i must have got lucky cos i finished it within a couple of minutes.

8 hours ago, probotector said:

Have Nintendo said anything about old levels being compatible with the old stuff and are any of the levels on par with the Nintendo stuff? 

I doubt they will work. I created a ton of Nintendo like courses but they got deleted when my account was banned =/

Smb3 the mini game cave 6.            3392-0000-0311-6427            (Richi)

I found this level whilst playing through the 100 Mario challenge and thought it worthy of note. It’s a cave full of timing-based mini games made out of marvellous contraptions, each one netting you a pink coin to eventually let you unlock the way out. Very ingenious!

15 hours ago, Darhkwing said:

I tried JPickfords course on my stream, i must have got lucky cos i finished it within a couple of minutes.

I doubt they will work. I created a ton of Nintendo like courses but they got deleted when my account was banned =/

How did you get your account banned?

2 hours ago, deKay said:

How did you get your account banned?

I was using mods with Mario maker , I accidentally uploaded a course whilst using them - so the thumbnail stood out like a sore thumb.

I managed to unban my wii u eventually ( surprisingly easy when you know what to do ) but my account attached to the system was banned too so all my courses and stars where gone too.

54 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

I was using mods with Mario maker , I accidentally uploaded a course whilst using them - so the thumbnail stood out like a sore thumb.

I managed to unban my wii u eventually ( surprisingly easy when you know what to do ) but my account attached to the system was banned too so all my courses and stars where gone too.

So all your digital games and stuff are gone too?

2 hours ago, deKay said:

So all your digital games and stuff are gone too?

I expect (hope!) I can play them, i just can't re-download them. Never really thought about that before. 

I'm getting really interested in Super Mario Maker 2, as someone who never had a Wii U and so I never got to see it before.

In my excitement I... uh... I picked up the 3DS version. It was only 14 quid! I know perfectly well that it's hated because you can't upload levels or find other people's levels. However, I thought it might give me some "practice" so that I'm already familiar with everything before SMM2 drops in June. (I also looked into the price of a second-hand Wii U, but that would be going too far. June is only four months away. Four long slow months).

I don't even know why I'm excited -- I seriously doubt my ability to create levels that would be worth anyone's time. I'm not even very good at playing Mario games, and I must admit that I've never played SMB3 or World beyond fairly brief emulation dabbling. So I feel like I should become more familiar with the design language of these games first -- after all, how can you be a good filmmaker if you've hardly watched any films? Or a good writer if you don't read books? I think I'll have a proper crack at SMB3 and SMW before June.

I'm over-thinking it. I've already seen that most SMM's user-made levels don't play much like Nintendo'-designed levels. Give people the tools to make Super Mario, and they end up making really complicated puzzley weird stuff! 

16 minutes ago, SqueakyG said:

I'm getting really interested in Super Mario Maker 2, as someone who never had a Wii U and so I never got to see it before.

In my excitement I... uh... I picked up the 3DS version. It was only 14 quid! I know perfectly well that it's hated because you can't upload levels or find other people's levels. However, I thought it might give me some "practice" so that I'm already familiar with everything before SMM2 drops in June. (I also looked into the price of a second-hand Wii U, but that would be going too far. June is only four months away. Four long slow months).

I don't even know why I'm excited -- I seriously doubt my ability to create levels that would be worth anyone's time. I'm not even very good at playing Mario games, and I must admit that I've never played SMB3 or World beyond fairly brief emulation dabbling. So I feel like I should become more familiar with the design language of these games first -- after all, how can you be a good filmmaker if you've hardly watched any films? Or a good writer if you don't read books? I think I'll have a proper crack at SMB3 and SMW before June.

I'm over-thinking it. I've already seen that most SMM's user-made levels don't play much like Nintendo'-designed levels. Give people the tools to make Super Mario, and they end up making really complicated puzzley weird stuff! 

Same - i have the 3ds version but never really touched it. I hear the 100 Nintendo levels are pretty decent. However, will be good to use it as practice i guess.

I will say SMM uses different phyics compared to SMW/SMB3 etc so they do feel a bit weird. Some people are speculating because SMM2 looks like a new engine, that it will have refined/changed physics. I must admit i do prefer the SNES SMW physics over SMM SMW but it could be a pain for everyone to effectively get used to the physics again if they do get changed!

There are Nintendo style levels out there, but most people prefer the harder style courses as they are more challenging. I personally love levels that think outside the box. 

All of my Super Mario Maker time is spent with my son making courses designed to kill me then giggling when I die and making it harder.

I love courses like this. Not too extreme, but require some kind of element of puzzle design!

Gotta admit my thumbnail turned out better than expected :lol:

• Upvote 1