rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Uzi

Super Mario Maker

I'm getting a bit obsessed with watching videos of this.

I make games all day long (or try to) but I'm stupidly excited about making my own Mario game.

• Upvote 8

Got a chance to play this in Manchester for about a minute as they had a display in a shopping centre.

Which let me check something I was worrying about. As far as I could tell the handling changes depending on the theme selected. At the very least I can confirm that the NMSB theme has the spin jump and wall jumps whereas in SMB mode you can't do those things.

• Upvote 1

So as there's going to be characters for all the Amiibos, plus the game switches between various art styles, does that mean we'll be getting proper characterisations of Captain Falcon et al in SMW graphics??

Link was revealed at e3 so he wouldn't be embargoed. It would likely be toon link.

As for different movesets depending on the Mario game that was confirmed at e3 also. The big debate was about the differing physics between the Mario games

So as there's going to be characters for all the Amiibos, plus the game switches between various art styles, does that mean we'll be getting proper characterisations of Captain Falcon et al in SMW graphics??

The Amiibo-enabled 'Mystery Mushroom' item can only be placed into Super Mario Bros style levels.

Link was revealed at e3 so he wouldn't be embargoed. It would likely be toon link.

As for different movesets depending on the Mario game that was confirmed at e3 also. The big debate was about the differing physics between the Mario games

Hmm well either all themes have NSMB physics - or they have different physics. But it definitely played with a very modern feel to it.

I can't wait for this game.

If Splatoon and MK8 are anything to go by - I imagine there'll be some amazing DLC planned as well. Looks amazing.

I've just got my fingers crossed that as part of a release promotion they'll actually do a sale on the Mario games on the eshop, my Wii U will become an homage to the best of Mario and at a reasonable price! They won't do this of course, but I live for eshop disappointment.

I didn't realise this did up and down scrolling as well as left and right. :o Bloody hell!

Yeah, so you will be able to play...

Manic Mario

Jet Set Mario

Nodes of Mario

NEG's Super Sonic World

Auf Wiedershen Mario

Etc....

• Upvote 4

I've just got my fingers crossed that as part of a release promotion they'll actually do a sale on the Mario games on the eshop, my Wii U will become an homage to the best of Mario and at a reasonable price! They won't do this of course, but I live for eshop disappointment.

Alternatively, you could just wait for someone to remake every stage from the early Mario games and you could get them that way!

I didn't realise this did up and down scrolling as well as left and right. :o Bloody hell!

Why wouldn't it, Mario games have had some level of verticality for a long long time.

Not sure if its been mentioned in the thread but the NVC podcast (well worth checking out) mentioned theres limits to what you can place in levels. But the limits are odd, you're never told how many of an item you can place before you git the limit and hitting a limit for one item will also disable a load of others. Not a downer really, but it seems like you can hit limits a bit easier than you may think.

Why wouldn't it, Mario games have had some level of verticality for a long long time.

I don't know. I just thought you'd be able to move the screen up and down a bit, but not as much as in that Metroid style video.

Came across this bit of info in the Youtube comments below that Metroid vid:

By the way, there's another possible powerup not many people are aware of: the Goomba shoes can be given wings, which let you do a sort of Yoshi-like flutter jump.

\m/

Can you do slowly moving to the right levels? You know what i mean? The only example with a name that comes to mind is..

Bridge Zone

Giant Bomb did an excellent video where they made a custom sound effect.

• Upvote 7