rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Uzi

Super Mario Maker

I've got a miserable lack of imagination when it comes to these things so I was thinking of staying away from the level building as I'd either be putting together some terrible hotchpotch of bad ideas, or just copying an old level at best (not in itself such a bad thing, I suppose). That video makes some great points on classic Mario level design though, makes it seem a lot more manageable to maybe come up with something good just by breaking it down like that.

One thing I do want to do it make some for my little girl, she's not two yet but likes pressing the buttons and stuff so something nice and simple with some sound effects from daddy should be pretty cool for her :)

• Upvote 2

Ordered it last night. I'd love to see some kind of hub world dlc where you can create a full map to house your levels in akin to Super Mario World.

We need a proper Super Mario World 2 essentially. Why haven't they done this?*

Yoshi's Island doesn't count.

New Super Mario Bros U is the closest Nintendo has come to a spiritual sequel to World.

• Upvote 5

Are all of these neat levels going to be available in the retail game? It's not going to be the case that it was a 'beta' version of the online or something like that, & the retail will be starting fresh?

The review version runs on its own server network that will be taken down when the full game launches, taking all uploads with it. It's a separate version of the game, too, so they can't even be saved locally. They'll be gone forever.

S'alright, most of them are fuckawful. Mine especially.

• Upvote 3

These are levels that people (journalists, youtubers) have created and uploaded. That said, *I think* they are going to be wiped for the retail release as the review version is incompatible. Not totally sure but I read that somewhere.

Console XS was a great magazine for its time (Early 90s) -

http://www.retrogames.co.uk/025075/Nintendo/Console-XS-Magazine-JuneJuly-1992

Yeah that was the magazine that came to mind when I read staplehead's post. It eventually branched off into Sega XS and Super XS. I'm fairly sure there were other magazines that did it, but the XS titles were the most comprehensive with their walkthroughs.

Jeremy Parish of USGamer has been building a level a day as the items unlock.

His latest video is the most interesting. He'd forgotten to take his game recording equipment with him to PAX so he had his wife play one of the levels he designed as a 1-1, an accessible introduction level to the game. His wife doesn't have much experience with Mario games so as he says in the video it's interesting to see the problems she has with the level that Jeremy would never think to be an issue.

I have also yet to see a video made by any game reviewer that chooses the use the NSMB tileset, they all use SMW or before.

• Upvote 2

We haven't really seen anything from NSMBU style. I'm assuming the amiibo characters are available there too?

We haven't really seen anything from NSMBU style. I'm assuming the amiibo characters are available there too?

Nope. They only work in the SMB1 theme.

I wonder if the New Super Mario Bros U style is underutilised because you can't do any of the special tricks those games were known for like sloped platforms & moving/rotating level elements?

No, I think it just doesn't look as lovely as the other three mario styles and I think the ages of the people putting out levels at the moment tend to be slightly older thus they prefer to use the older mario games artwork. Makes you reminisce and that.

I read it as saying the NSMBU levels don't have the flexibility and variety of other games, which surely can't be right.

looks like it'll be Christmas before I get to play this :(. Don't think I can wait that long....

I read it as saying the NSMBU levels don't have the flexibility and variety of other games, which surely can't be right.

looks like it'll be Christmas before I get to play this :(. Don't think I can wait that long....

I didn't mean to imply that they weren't flexible, just that in order for the tile-based level construction to work everything has to be block-based, which means no slopes in SMB3/SMW/NSMBU or moving platforms other than the ones you can put on tracks, so nothing like the seesawing/rotating bridges or the moving level parts.

Granted though, it doesn't really need those things. I've watched a lot of YouTube videos showing what people have come up with so far & I'm both astounded & excited by the creativity on display. You don't need all those fancy tricks to make a great level, & it's probably better to make the level interesting from the base elements rather than relying on setpieces.

Some people have suggested that now Nintendo can't make another 2D Mario game ever again, as the cry would just be "Why isn't this in Mario Maker?"

Does that sound right? Can Nintendo only do 3D Mario from now on, or would they be able to make a 2D platformer that's sufficiently different to stand on its own, like Yoshi's Woolly World?

Or they could make a 2D Mario game with enough imagination and care as usual. It would probably still run rings around the vast majority of the user created content in this.

I think Mario Maker has the potential to be one of the best comedy sandbox games ever made. By comedy I mean comedy from the absurd, something video games do very well (goat simulator, octodad, surgeon simulator, I am bread). Although in this case it is a creation sandbox and not a physics sandbox.

I don't know how little big planet and games like it are in this area, maybe it's because Mario is so established that we are able to get the full comedic effect that comes from subverting the standard Nintendo design and making something incredibly silly.

Either way it is a very exciting game.

Some people have suggested that now Nintendo can't make another 2D Mario game ever again, as the cry would just be "Why isn't this in Mario Maker?"

Does that sound right? Can Nintendo only do 3D Mario from now on, or would they be able to make a 2D platformer that's sufficiently different to stand on its own, like Yoshi's Woolly World?

Yes they absolutely can. There no way of creating a truly unique idea like Nintendo do constantly in their games

Or they could make a 2D Mario game with enough imagination and care as usual. It would probably still run rings around the vast majority of the user created content in this.

The user created stuff in this is trying to do something completely different in this though. This isn't about expert game design, it's about trying to play on nostalgia and making you laugh.

You can't man. You'll miss the buzz of everyone creating levels. You need it on release day.

But imagine unwrapping this on Christmas morning, and BAM! A Mario game with a million levels! It would have been my dream Xmas Present in 1991.

Looking good...

Nintendo Everything – “Thumbs Up”
IGN – 9 / 10
GameSpot – 9 / 10
DigitalSpy – 4 / 5
Polygon – 9.5 / 10
Nintendo World Report – 8 / 10
Nintendo Life – 10 / 10
Kotaku – “Yes”
Destructoid – 8 / 10
USGamer – 5 / 5
Game Informer – 9 / 10

i love mario games, but think the idea of making my own levels sounds shorted lived (or playing other people's super hard ones!) and i have no real desire to do it.

baring that in mind - whats left for me to get hyped about?

i love mario games, but think the idea of making my own levels sounds shorted lived (or playing other people's super hard ones!) and i have no real desire to do it.

baring that in mind - whats left for me to get hyped about?

It comes with an art book. I felt the same for a while but the more I've seen the more the possibilities appeal. Just getting people you know or members from here making levels for each other should provide enough entertainment. I quite often find I'm in the mood to muck around with something but not necessarily play a game so making a level in this might happen more for me than I thought too.

Oh, and SMW art style levels in widescreen for the first time ever.

• Upvote 3