Arkham Knight PC tech-talk: settings, performance etc

Mortis

A few issues with Win 8.1

http://uk.download.nvidia.com/Windows/353.30/353.30-win8-win7-winvista-desktop-release-notes.pdf

Windows 8.1 Issues

[3DVision] While a stereoscopic 3D video wi th stereoscopic 3D enabled is played, the monitor refresh rate switches to 60 Hz after changing the resolution using the Windows control panel. [1314811]

With a 3DTV connected and the resolution set to an HD3D resolution through the NVIDIA Control Panel, the display flickers constantly after installing the driver via INF over driver version 320.49. [1315116]

[347.09, GM204] Blank screen observed on an ASUS Tiled display when system resumes from shutdown or hibernation with Fast boot option enabled from BIOS. [1591053]

[sLI, Batman: Arkham Knights] With a 4K display, a TDR occurs after the in-game resolution is toggled and the ap plication is exited. [200116725]

[sLI, Batman: Arkham Knights] Heavy flickering occurs in game after Alt+Tab if SLI is enabled. [200116723]

[sLI, Batman: Arkham Knights] Severe stuttering seen, especially in indoor scenes, when the game is running at 4K resolu tion and NVIDIA Gameworks settings are turned on. [200116722]

[sLI, Batman: Arkham Knights] Random flickering occurs in the game if SLI is enabled. [200116717]

[GM206, SLI, Batman: Arkham Knights] Stuttering occurs and performance drops after shadow quality settings are toggled. [200116694]

[GK180, SLI, Batman: Arkham Knights] Wh en SLI is enabled, a crash points to ntdll.dll shortly after the game is exited. [200116717]

In Day 1 Patch we trust.

PC performance is top-notch, but weirdly, even though the benchmark lets you score way higher the game itself appears to be strictly locked to 30FPS.

Go to the installation folder Batman Arkham Knight\BmGame\ Config\BmSystemSettings.ini and look in the file for "Max_FPS=30" to even the odds.

As a wild guess, change "Max_FPS=30" to "Max_FPS=60"?

My copy's still downloading (and I'm not about to leave it downloading overnight), but at least the NVIDIA driver is installed ready for it, I guess. Hopefully the remaining third will be done by the time we've had dinner tomorrow...

People on Steam/GAF are complaining about the PC port being rubbish (900 reviews on Steam resulting in "mostly negative"!), but I'm having no problems graphics wise tbh (but then I'm never really bothered by these things). A 970, did what NvidiaExperience said the settings should be and set frame rate to 60 as above.

Now I have to go to work :(

Edit - Anyone else's CDKeys Premium Edition not have the Harley DLC?

People on Steam/GAF are complaining about the PC port being rubbish (900 reviews on Steam resulting in "mostly negative"!), but I'm having no problems graphics wise tbh (but then I'm never really bothered by these things). A 970, did what NvidiaExperience said the settings should be and set frame rate to 60 as above.

Now I have to go to work :(

Edit - Anyone else's CDKeys Premium Edition not have the Harley DLC?

People on Steam/GAF are morons ;)

It runs great - and I'm guessing as you've got a 970 it'll run probably better than it does for me too :)

People on Steam/GAF are complaining about the PC port being rubbish

The GAF thread is subtitled 'Protect Gotham Racing' :lol:

Gamersyde have done a few tech videos/analysis of the XBOne version..

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_our_xb1_videos_of_batman_ak-16773_en.html

Looks like it's fine.. only busy bits of the Batmobile sections (similar to the other formats) seem to cause it any grief (some tearing, but still averages out @ 28fps during an extended car chase sequence in the rain.)

Had a quick look this morning (GTX970 here). The locked frame rate is weird but easily fixed with an ini tweak (Dead Rising 3 did the same thing so maybe it's a "shit console ports" type of thing). I seem to be getting between 40 and 60 fps just in the opening section with all the Nvidia Gameworks stuff turned on - I need to play around a bit and see what kind of impact they have in terms of performance and visual quality and tweak accordingly, but I'm not unhappy with what I've seen so far. Looks great.