Arkham Knight PC tech-talk: settings, performance etc

Mortis

Oh this again.

Like I said, just give it enough VRAM so you don't have to piss about with swapping and it's golden, if you don't you can still lock the framerate and have a superior to the PS4 experience. It still having issues with 6GB cards just stinks of absolute piss poor coding, as that is still more VRAM than the next gen consoles have total RAM available to run non OS code. Then again random internet people were able to tweak the config files enough to iron out the vast majority of the issues. Perhaps it shouldn't have been farmed out to a console code sweat shop who have nothing but middling console ports to their name.

Given that pretty much every other multi platform title runs better on mid range PC hardware, it indicates that something fundamental is amiss with this 'port'.

You already said it runs fine on a 12GB VRAM setup, it also runs without the paging problem at 30fps on lesser VRAM setups. It's only when you attempt to run it at 60fps that paging becomes a problem with even 6GB of VRAM.

Rocksteady designed it as a console game, they only made sure their streaming tech worked fine on consoles. Even the X1, a machine with a mere 32MB of super-fast RAM can cope with streaming the game, it has to fetch everything else from much slower RAM, which is still connected to the GPU via a much better interconnect than any PC has available.

Rockstar gave it to a bunch of cretins to port.

Cards like the 980Ti have more than enough VRAM available to have sufficient assets stored that you don't have to be doing just in time asset streaming (as shown by pretty much every multiplatform game ever), in fact user ini tweaks to change how this worked performed wonders. https://steamcommunity.com/app/208650/discussions/0/523890046870624615/

The port is a mess, the shit shower that did the port obviously didn't lift a single finger to change how the engine worked for the PC (where you don't need to stream assets), yet random internet people were able to do a far better job.

They're now offering refunds for everyone (who purchased through Steam) regardless of how long you played it

We are very sorry that many of our customers continue to be unhappy with the PC version of Batman: Arkham Knight. We worked hard to get the game to live up to the standard you deserve but understand that many of you are still experiencing issues.

Until the end of 2015, we will be offering a full refund on Batman: Arkham Knight PC, regardless of how long you have played the product. You can also return the Season Pass along with the main game (but not separately). For those of you that hold onto the game, we are going to continue to address the issues that we can fix and talk to you about the issues that we cannot fix.

Thank you,

Warner Bros Interactive Entertainment

EDIT BY VALVE: For users who were having trouble submitting a refund for the game purchased on Steam, please try your refund submission again. The issue should have now been resolved.

At 1680x1050 I can now play pretty much smoothly with textures on low, except seemingly random moments when it just wanders off to have a cheeky ciggy and everything stalls for a few seconds, then back to normal. Slightly odd, but it'll be good enough to play through properly now. I'm on a 3GB 7950, an i5 750 and 12GB RAM.

If you lock the framerate to 30 using RTSS rather than the in-game lock, it's much smoother. I think I'm going to do that and accept I'm going to get a marginally better-looking but broadly equivalent game to the console release, stop worrying about framerate and just play the bloody game. It's clearly not going to get significantly better from this point.

I'm just playing through it too now. Now that I have it running at max non nvidia gameworks settings and played it for a couple of hours, I've finally been able to appreciate what a good looking game it is. The lighting and density of the city is great. It's a shame it scales like crap and most people won't be able to run it as well as it should do. With some of the busier batmobile bits (ie a shit tonne of tanks and explosions) it has dropped down to the mid 40s which has been noticable (I dream of future TVs with gsync tech) - otherwise been smooth 90%+ of the time. It might be in my head, but I suspect the game being on a SSD helps with the streaming too.

If your monitor can make a custom screen refresh rate and set it to 72 Hz, then turn on adaptive v-sync half refresh rate it'll be 36 fps. You'll notice a much smoother experience on your monitor than 30 frames. I do this with a lot of games that I can't maintain a high fps in and the difference from 30 fps feels sooo much smoother for some reason. Of course if Arkham Knight dips below 36 on you, best to play at just 30 fps.

I don't think my Panasonic TV allows that kind of fiddling. I do have a 27inch monitor I could do that on, but I'd rather play on my 48 inch tv. To be honest, the drops are at times of action where it doesn't bother me (ie in batmobile - if it happened while fist fighting, that would annoy me) and it's never dropped as low as the 30's as far as I can tell - the game primarily stays at 60fps - 100% of the time when not flying/driving about pretty much.

If you lock the framerate to 30 using RTSS rather than the in-game lock, it's much smoother. I think I'm going to do that and accept I'm going to get a marginally better-looking but broadly equivalent game to the console release, stop worrying about framerate and just play the bloody game. It's clearly not going to get significantly better from this point.

What is RTSS?

I received the following from cdkeys:

Daniel F (cdkeys.com)

3 Nov, 09:56

Thank you for your email regarding Batman Arkham Knight PC. Unfortunately, we are not in a position to be able to provide refunds for this title. The Warner Brothers refund offer relates to copies of the game purchased through Steam which have been purchased at full price.

The terms of our deal for the supply of this product do not permit any refunds.

With regards to the game itself, it has been selling well for several weeks now without any significant issues reported and we have also tested the game ourselves and found it to be in a playable state.

Im sorry we cant be of more assistance.

Well, if anyone wants to be as silly as me and spend the best part of £1k on upgrades then I can confirm it now works very nicely.

However, I'm not entirely sure it's an economical way of thinking.

I think I'd be more pissed off had I spent the full whack on it, but at the end of the day I forked out £12, so i can live with it.