Arkham Knight PC tech-talk: settings, performance etc

Mortis

If you lock the framerate to 30 using RTSS rather than the in-game lock, it's much smoother. I think I'm going to do that and accept I'm going to get a marginally better-looking but broadly equivalent game to the console release, stop worrying about framerate and just play the bloody game. It's clearly not going to get significantly better from this point.

What is RTSS?

I received the following from cdkeys:

Daniel F (cdkeys.com)

3 Nov, 09:56

Thank you for your email regarding Batman Arkham Knight PC. Unfortunately, we are not in a position to be able to provide refunds for this title. The Warner Brothers refund offer relates to copies of the game purchased through Steam which have been purchased at full price.

The terms of our deal for the supply of this product do not permit any refunds.

With regards to the game itself, it has been selling well for several weeks now without any significant issues reported and we have also tested the game ourselves and found it to be in a playable state.

Im sorry we cant be of more assistance.

Well, if anyone wants to be as silly as me and spend the best part of £1k on upgrades then I can confirm it now works very nicely.

However, I'm not entirely sure it's an economical way of thinking.

I think I'd be more pissed off had I spent the full whack on it, but at the end of the day I forked out £12, so i can live with it.

If you don't mind me asking, what are your specs?

I kind of went mental and picked up an i7 Skylake, 16gb and a 980ti.

Bear in mind that currently I'm running stuff at 1080p, so I was expecting to see some pretty decent results. I'm getting a rock solid 60fps with all the nvidia stuff on.

I received the following from cdkeys:

Daniel F (cdkeys.com)

3 Nov, 09:56

Thank you for your email regarding Batman Arkham Knight PC. Unfortunately, we are not in a position to be able to provide refunds for this title. The Warner Brothers refund offer relates to copies of the game purchased through Steam which have been purchased at full price.

The terms of our deal for the supply of this product do not permit any refunds.

With regards to the game itself, it has been selling well for several weeks now without any significant issues reported and we have also tested the game ourselves and found it to be in a playable state.

Im sorry we cant be of more assistance.

I got the same reply from Daniel F. I hope he doesn't wear out his CTRL and V keys. Anyway I managed to get in a Paypal dispute so we'll see how that goes but I think I'm going to have to chalk this one up as a loss.

I got the same reply from Daniel F. I hope he doesn't wear out his CTRL and V keys. Anyway I managed to get in a Paypal dispute so we'll see how that goes but I think I'm going to have to chalk this one up as a loss.

Will be interested to hear how you get on with that. Come back and tell us about it.

Same here! Was worth a try. I did point out in my reply that it selling well on their site when the makers have basically said it's broken and are issuing refunds is a bit shaky to use as a reason not to give us a refund. C'est la vie. :)

cdkeys refunded my purchase back in August. Given that the situation is basically the same (to the point that Warner Bros. are just offering refunds to everyone) I think cdkeys could be pushed into offering refunds now too.

They said that my copy would be removed from my steam library (I agreed to that) but it's still there. It says everything about the game that I still haven't bothered to try it again though.

What is RTSS?

RivaTuner Statistics Server

It's basically a little system tray app that you can use to lock your frame rate to a specific value (typically 30).

For some reason a lot of games have terrible frame pacing - ie even if you use the in-game frame rate lock it still ends up a bit juddery and not particularly smooth. Arkham Knight is like this. But RTSS seems to smooth things out much better. I'm sure there's a technical reason for that somewhere.

RivaTuner Statistics Server

It's basically a little system tray app that you can use to lock your frame rate to a specific value (typically 30).

For some reason a lot of games have terrible frame pacing - ie even if you use the in-game frame rate lock it still ends up a bit juddery and not particularly smooth. Arkham Knight is like this. But RTSS seems to smooth things out much better. I'm sure there's a technical reason for that somewhere.

Thanks for the info! I'm pretty new to PC gaming and am constantly learning new stuff about it's foibles. My laptop is a bit underpowered for Arkham Knight anyway, barely hitting 30fps on low settings.

I'm sure there's a technical reason for that somewhere.

The developers don't care is the technical reason for 99% of cases. You can use a bloody general purpose app to make the frames appear at a consistent rate FFS, if that can manage it, then the developers can, if they ever thought about it, which a lot of the time for whatever reason they don't. I assume they all can't tell the difference either as they'd fix it otherwise. The console versions are properly framepaced, it's just broken natively on the PC port, still.

Dsfix for Dark Souls on PC is a pretty abject lesson in how one talented and competent individual can single handedly fix in one weekend what an entire dev team failed to do during an entire conversion process.

DSFix is amazing. Is there anything like that for this yet?

DSFix is amazing. Is there anything like that for this yet?

All it really does is override framebuffer resolution at a very low level, and add some simple hacks for post processing effects and frame unlocking. Features which are already present in Batman.

It doesn't actually make the game run better or anything. Dark Souls' efficiencies are its own!